“Picturesque spot on extended pier with excellent food”
Review of The Slipway

The Slipway
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Thomaston
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We are a bit late in posting our July, 2013 visit but am happy now to report this was a gem we had driven hundreds of miles to find. We didn't know it existed but as we meandered north we crossed a bridge over the bay and spotted this restaurant. We were so pleased. The hostess took us to the end of the pier at a table that gave a view of the bay not filled with exclusive, high-priced vessels, but was reminiscent of small dingys in a harbor; of course that is what it is.
Two locals were seated nearby. Their advice was the fried oysters. What good advice it was!! They were lightly breaded and juicy and sinfully succulent. It was lunch. We found the perfect spot, not touristized (new word). Wish we could return. Oh yes, went to the john at the beginning of the turf on tera-firma. It looked inviting.

1  Thank Ray S

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We hoped for a good experience especially because the owners previously ran The Dip Net. However the view was very mediocre, the food was poor and it was way overpriced. You are on the water but it is kind of an industrial feel. Our sandwiches felt like ones you might get in a 3rd graders lunch box. I had the crab melt and the sandwich was cold.

And the price!!! We paid nearly double what we paid at other nearby restsurants and those were much better. Save your money.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We were in Thomaston and a friend recommended this place. When we arrived, we loved the view of the river. Little did we know that was the last thing we would like. The service was very slow, but when the salads finally did arrive, I was shocked. It was a small little pile of lettuce with a little shredded carrots. OK, so it's a seafood restaurant, I thought. They concentrate on the seafood. But when the rather expensive ($21.95) fried scallop "basket" that I ordered arrived (yes, in a plastic basket) and I bit into the first greasy, tasteless scallop, I almost gagged. It was AWFUL!!! It had no seasoning, it was a slimy, tasteless glob. And then I bit into a French fry. It tasted as if it had been fried in the same rancid grease that the scallop had. To get the awful taste out of my mouth, I tried the cole slaw. It was tasteless as well! How can you make slaw bad? Well, they did.

My wife had the clam chowder, which was not as bad as my scallops, but was very pasty. I mean, come on, it's Maine. You can do chowder, right? Well, in this case, not really.

Finally, in desperation, (and still hungry since I couldn't eat my meal), we tried the brownie sundae for dessert. Surely, no one can mess up a brownie, right? Well, guess again. I took one bite and no more.

I don't know when some of these other reviews were written or by whom, but anybody who loves good food should avoid this place at all costs. We were in Maine for 10 days all up and down the coast. We ate a few places with food that was just OK, but this place was the absolute WORST I've had in Maine or anywhere else in a long time.

1  Thank RWCGeorgia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We wanted to give a friend "from away" a good Maine lunch in a real Maine setting. The Slipway filled the bill on all counts. We were seated outside on the dockside dining area (and it helped that the weather was perfect). We all ordered fried oysters, in one form or another, and they were done perfectly-- moist, sweet, tender. Our waitress was friendly and on the ball. The whole experience could not have been better.

2  Thank Steve3434
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Mom's homemade pies, Scott's lobster bisque, locals favorite. It just tastes and feels good and like real Maine. It's fun and fine. If its packed, try again.

1  Thank HoholuluSheila