“Best Bet”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I've enjoyed many meals here and my only compliant is the price, which isn't within my means for regular patronage. I had the fish and chips basket, which came to me hot and plentiful. I had a few beers out on the deck, which is beautifully situated on the St. George River tidewater. One thing you can be sure of is that Scott, owner/operator, is extremely good at why he does and is also very fair if you get something you don't like or feel has been poory prepared. Locals were very disappointed when he had to vacate the Dip Net when Linda Bean bought the place. He has a loyal following…for good reason.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We went tot he Slipway for the first time in the season last night. If the weather is good (as it was last night), you just have to sit outside. The tables on the dock offer a great experience with the views, the gentle breeze and the relaxed atmosphere. I have always left there (in the past) feeling the food was good but not quite "there". What we had last night felt definitely like a step up from the past. While the menu does not seem to have changed much, the execution was really good, and the specials looked tasty. None of us had the specials, but all felt that what we had was tasty and well made. The salmon appetizer was beautiful and tasted just as good. The mac and cheese was really good, and the fried fish just as good! It is so good to have a place as good as the Slipway in Thomaston! Keep up the good work!!

1  Thank HereAtLast
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Their is nothing like having dinner or a drink at a waterfront. The food is very good but it is the location. In the summer this is my favorite place to eat and enjoy passing some time with Google friends

Reviewed 1 February 2014

The seafood here is wonderfully prepared and one can trust that it comes from local, sustainable sources. The vegetables are also fresh and seasonal and the homemade desserts are almost always phenomenal (especially the mixed-berry shortcake!) The chef here really knows fish!

I was rather shocked to see some very poor reviews and checked a few out. I do agree with one reviewer that the clams over pasta are consistently gritty. I really don't know why; they prepare all other fish so well. Also during the last season they occasionally seemed to stretch over capacity, leading to a few unreasonable waits and even a culinary disappointment or two (I think we had one of those skimpy salads, but they are usually lovely). The portions can sometimes be on the smallish side, but if one can afford an appetizer or dessert one will always be well fed!

Despite the (inevitable?) summer hiccup this still remains one of our top 3 midcoast restaurants! And absolutely the BEST place for fresh fish.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had a cottage rental in September nearby and had a nice dinner at the Slipway. Nice view, good staff, good beer. Food was excellent.