“GREAT BREAKFAST SUPER 'REAL' COFFEE”
Review of The Highlands Coffee House - CLOSED

The Highlands Coffee House
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Highlands Coffee House is "a place to connect" with friends, for business or to spend time catching up on a good book and your email (free Wi-Fi), while enjoying a full array of beverages and individually prepared food items. Family owned and operated, The Highlands carefully selects and prepares, along with their friendly staff, items that tantalize the most discriminating taste buds. Menu items from homemade soup, sandwiches, salads,homemade baked goods, breakfast items and Round Top Ice Cream & Beer & Wine! HCH is immediately recognized for its national award-winning coffee - Coffee By Design, which is roasted in Portland Maine. Experienced coffee barristers prepare specialty beverages that help to comfort your day, filled with distractions or help you share with a friend a few moments that helps you to re-connect. The Highlands is the place to connect with music and art as well! Come check out our "Featured Local Artist" every month on the brick wall or the talented musicians who fill the Midcoast area: "OPEN MIC" (Thursdays) "1ST SUNDAY JAZZ JAM" (1st Sunday every month) & "Blind Albert & Friends BLUES JAM" (Last Saturday every month) along with "Special Performances" on selected Fridays. Thinking about a special family, business or organization event...HCH is a perfect location either during or after hours. Catering is available for on or off-site activities, as well. Special orders and take-out are available and can be arranged either in person, phone or email. In the Midcoast the "place to connect" is The Highland Coffee House, so stop on by and make that special connection!
Brisbane, Australia
“GREAT BREAKFAST SUPER 'REAL' COFFEE”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

On my way to Walmart at Thomaston, I came across this delightfull restaurant in an old bank building, complete with giant strong room guarded by a guy in full armour, at 189 Main Street, Thomaston, Maine, USA.

I was dying for a 'real' coffee made on milk...not just a brewed coffee that is so popular in USA and Canada.

I ordered a toasted sandwich...for want of a better name, as I have forgotten what it was called...with sausage, egg, cheese, peppers, red onions, spicy mayo. It was delicious.
I also had a caramel latte which truly hit the spot.

Whilst I waited in the large, sunny dining room, I could peruse the great gallery of excellent photos on the wall.

I shall be going back again and again when I have the chance. It is well worth the stop, and there is parking at the back off the main street.

The Highlands Coffee House · 189 Main Street, Thomaston, Maine 04861 Phone:(207) 354-4162

• Visited January 2014

Maine
“Great food, great Sunday afternoon jazz, great place!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

What a terrific addition to the midcoast Maine restaurant/entertainment scene! There is nothing like this around, and I live almost an hour south of Thomaston. The food was delicious, the service very friendly and welcoming, and two hours of professional jazz on a winter afternoon was a wonderful way to end the weekend. Thanks, Highlands Coffee House, for being here. We WILL be back!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank MaineHeidi
Wiscasset, Maine
“Nice find”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were just spending a day out and happened across this place for lunch. My wife got the chicken slald sandwich and I got the Reuben. Both were normally priced for that kind of place and we got chips and apple sauce with our sandwich. Staff was polite, food was good, atmosphere was ok and price was decent. We both also had decaf tea. Only black tea decaf was available. The sandwiches were brought out to us as was our tea. Only negative comment was that no one had swept the floor since breakfast and I didn't think their washer or washing machine was doing real good... my tea mug had dried coffee drips on it.
We had no problems with staff and served us well..... overall.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank NewkirikInn
Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Although the food is good, I will not return-”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I have eaten both breakfast and lunch several times at the Highlands Coffee House. The food has always been good but my last experience with the very rude staff was so awful I will not return. My husband and I ordered cheese sandwiches for lunch; his arrived and mine didn't. About ten minutes later my husband went to the service line to find out what the problem was. The woman taking orders acted as though he was imposing in some way and assured him that the sandwich was on its way. After ten more minutes, he returned to the order line. This time she at least checked on the order and informed him that the order got confused and my sandwich hadn't been made. I know that mistakes happen and have no problem with that, but to receive no apology and to be made to feel that somehow we were bothering them is totally unacceptable. When we left I went to the counter and informed the woman there that I would be taking back the tip that I had put in the tip jar- Her response was "if that makes you feel better, fine." I just felt that the server was so rude that I will never return. There are many good restaurants in the area so there is no need to frequent one where patrons are treated so horribly.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank NWRob
Boston, Massachusetts
“Awesome Sandwiches and Bakery Treats!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stopped at the Highlands Coffee House on our way through Thomaston with four adults in need of breakfast and snacks. This was a first visit but it won't be the last.

High points - the Three Cheese Tomato Melt is out of this world. The other sandwiches were also very good. The bakery items were crisp and flakey, not over-sweet or heavy and were clearly made with butter. The apple pie had a perfect crust and wonderful apple flavor - not over-sweetened.

The turnaround time on the grilled sandwiches was very quick, much better than average for a bakery/sandwich shop of this kind, and the service was very cheerful and pleasant.

We'll be going back again!

• Visited September 2013