“A pleasant surprise!”
Review of Open Hearth Inn

Open Hearth Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Trenton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2014

In Oct 2013 me and my wife stayed in this B&B for two nights. What a pleasant surprise! Even thought Acadia was closed due to govt shutdown we still decided to went ahead with our trip just to see Maine coast and foliage.

I never stayed at a B&B before so I was not sure what to expect. Cottage given to us was very nice and cute! It has got some old charm to it and décor is quite tasteful. Breakfast items are decent and hosts are managing the property quite well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was staying all the way in Bangor and going to Acadia National Park (about an hour drive). On my way to Acadia, I passed the adorable Open Hearth cabins, which were only a few miles from Acadia. (What really attracted me was something the owner had written on the marquee, and that I agreed with!) The places were SO cute and well-kept, I quickly called and got the #1 cabin for 2 nights. Both the Innkeepers were very nice. At first I spoke to her, then during my stay I spoke with him - very nice people.

My cabin was quite cozy. It is only 1 room, small but nice. It had 2 double beds, a dresser, and a couple little tables. The place is all wood - kind of rustic - and the floor is carpeted. The sheets and towels were clean, and the whole place was spotless. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. It was cold when I was there (October 12 & 13, 2013), and there is a heater that you turn on at the wall. At first, it didn’t seem efficient, but then it heated the room nicely. In fact, we had to turn the heat off during the night as it got a tad warm in there. There was good, free wi-fi and plenty of parking.

The bathroom is small, but functional. The shower is very small, but it had plenty of hot water and that’s all that mattered.

In the morning, there is a minimal continental breakfast. There were real hard boiled eggs (not those packaged ones – I knew they were real because they had the shell still on them - I liked that). There were a few muffins, some oatmeal, and hot coffee and juice. There are 3 small tables in the main house to sit at and have your breakfast. I had a good cup of coffee, but opted to go into Bar Harbor for breakfast; there are plenty of good breakfast places there.

I would definitely stay here again. The price was insanely reasonable! For my 2 nights the total was $183.00 (less than $100 a night). I had priced a Best Western a couple miles up the road and the rate there was $150 PER night. I was very happy with the rate of this cute little cabin.

Oh, most important. The location is awesome. It's just a quick drive up the road to the entrance to Acadia National Park (about 7 or 8 miles). And Bar Harbor is just a tad further. Exceptional location if you are going to the National Park.

Room Tip: I was in the # 1 cabin and I loved it. That's the only one I can speak for.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Last year My wife, my adult son and I stayed in a cottage. Small and cozy but the bathroom was a bit small but for one night it was fine. My review then would have given it 4 stars.
This year we stayed three nights in one of the Loge rooms, D and it was perfect for the three of us and if our other son has come with us, we still would have had plenty of room. The only drawback would be if you don't wish to climb stairs, There is a deck however to relax in should you want to be outdoors. The owners Chuck and Sue were again friendly, pleasant and helpful. The continental breakfast was exactly what we needed before heading out for a day at the park. Coffee, tea, juice, yogurts, cereal, fruit and the never ending muffins made hot and fresh each morning. There is an IGA supermarket/gas station a 1/4 mile away and as you've read from other reviews, the entrance to Acadia National Park is only a 15 minute drive. Should we again visit Acadia, we will stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ScotiaCantor
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We just finished a four night stay at Open Hearth Inn...this was our 3rd stay near the national parks and would definitely come again! Owners sue and Chuck offer terrific service and personal attention which was superb. The pros: a great location just 8 miles outside the national park, lovely homemade muffins with a continental breakfast, apartment A was a nice accommodation for our family (2 adults, 4 young kids), both apartments had full kitchen that was well stocked and convenient, the hottub was nice after a long day of hiking (only open at night) rooms were generally quiet and clean, and service was terrific. The cons: understand the property is more cottages and larger motel- type rooms called lodges (2 apartments that are larger, apartment B is largest, although darker than the bright apartment A), the location is right across from the tiny Trenton airport (bi-planes) but we really didn't hear much noise (never durIng the night). Overall, a great value and perfect for our larger family to use as a stepping stone to Acadia.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The place is quaint and clean and the cottages are cozy. The real star is Chuck and Susan's friendliness. We enjoyed Susan's home made fresh muffins every morning and Chucks extensive knowledge of the area really helped us to have a great vacation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The owners, Chuck and Susan Starr, made our Maine vacation so much better. We rented a fully stocked apartment for a very reasonable rate and made great use of Chuck's in depth knowledge of the area. We discovered so many lovely spots, and really felt like GUESTS, not customers; an important distinction. We ended up staying 4 nights instead of our planned 3 just because we were so very comfortable there.

Room Tip: Ask to see the apartments!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James F
Reviewed 22 July 2013

When we arrived, we were greeted by the owners. They really made us feel welcome and they were so pleasant and very helpful with anything we needed or asked about. When I seen my little cottage I was thrilled, just the cutest little country home. When we opened the door and went in, I just fell in love with it's shabby chic decor and cedar wood through out the cottage. I really felt so comfortable and probably could have stayed there forever. It really was like a home away from home. Thank you for the great stay and being so kind, I know next time I return to Maine this will definitely be the place I choose to stay!!

Room Tip: I am sure that all the cottages are great, our friends had the cottage just next to ours which had i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Deborah C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
Wonder View Inn
Acadia Sunrise Motel
#1 of 3 in Trenton
Narrows Too Camping Resort
The Colony on Frenchman's Bay

Been to Open Hearth Inn? Share your experiences!