“Gateway to Acadia” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Trenton B&B and Inns
Rochester, Minnesota
“Gateway to Acadia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

It was a wonderful stay! We stayed in cottage #7, it was like being in a small cabin. There was a full kitchenette from silverware to pots and pans. Great way to save money on food. Nice bathroom, hot water, shampoo and soaps. The flowers in the window baskets were very nice. Then owner was very knowledgeable of Acadia and attractions. The price was right! I will go back again

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Villanova, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and parents were here for the July 4th weekend. July 4th is probably among the busiest times of the year at Bar Harbor and so we were relieved to find any accommodation without paying an arm and a leg. That said, the overall amount with taxes came to ~ $150 per night, which in hindsight, was not cheap even by Acadia / Bar Harbor standards.

As far as our room was concerned, it was quaint and maybe even cute at some level, but what really comes to my mind was the underinvestment of the owners in the property. To start off with, the bathroom did not have a bolt / latch to secure the door from inside. Now remember that I was staying here with my wife and my parents for 2 days so the absence of a latch could have potentially made for some very embarrassing moments. We got around it by implementing a code - if the door key which said "Do not disturb" was hung on the bathroom door, no one was to walk into the bathroom. In hindsight, it just surprises me to think that a place can get by without installing a latch on the bathroom door.

The second thing which struck me the moment I walked into the room was the age of the TV. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have not seen an older TV in the last 10 or so years. Even our home TV, which we picked up for FREE, is newer than the one we found at OHI. Now it's a legit question as to why we would be interested in the TV during a trip to Bar Harbor. And the answer has to do with World Cup soccer and the quarter finals of the tournament which were going on at that point. We did manage to see some of the games but the age of the TV never ceased to surprise me.

And yet one more unmistakable proof of the underinvestment of the owners was the poor wi-fi connection. As much as I hate paying $9.95 for internet access at a Hilton or Sheraton, I would rather have a paid reliable internet connection than the terrible "free" internet connection at OHI. Our smart phones (Samsung Galaxys) were completely unable to pick up the wifi, and my Lenovo laptop which is otherwise great, also had a VERY hard time picking up the wifi so much so that any research we wanted to do in terms of trip planning was greatly hampered by the lack of reliable internet access.

Another disadvantage of the location (and this is not unique to OHI) is that the "city" gets dead late in the evening. Which meant that once we were back from viewing the 4th of July fireworks at Bar Harbor at around 10 p.m., we did not have any place to eat at within say a 3 mile radius. Certainly something to be aware of for any potential renters at this location.

Overall, I would say that the satisfaction from our July 4th weekend outing was a few notches lower because of having stayed at OHI. In fact if it came down to it and I was presented with a situation in which I could have a vacation in Acadia but stay at the OHI and another option which did not involve any vacation period, I would gladly pick the latter because of the poor amenities that OHI presented us with.

A final note - this review is for the motel and not for the cottages. Having seen the general indifference of the owners, the fact that toiletries were not replaced regularly, and the fact that the bath towels were among the most abrasive I have ever encountered, it is hard for me to believe that the cottages were much better. But they could well be and so this review should mostly be seen as a review for the motel rooms (C was the one in which we stayed).

Room Tip: Do not rent here and save yourself some grief
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank desimba
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

If you're looking for a resort and a lot of amenities...you're at the wrong place. If you're looking for a good location and casual surroundings...you've found it. Could use some tlc but the only real major drawback is that it's at the end of the runway and they fly a lot of sightseers on a good day. Didn't bother us because we weren't there for the lodging; we were there for the Bar Harbor experience. Rooms are small but efficient and nowhere near the cost of the normally average cost (but high on the island) chains. The hot tub, deck and owners are an added plus. A variety of rooms to meet most needs.

Room Tip: Cottage 1 is....roomy...compared to others we saw. Rooms in the row may be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ossenfogva
Augusta, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed at the Open Hearth Inn last night, and it was a bit like stepping back in time--they have old fashioned cottages much like the ones I remember as a very little boy in the Wisconsin Northwoods. The outside of them show some wear and peeling paint, but inside they are as good as new, knotty pine construction and all. Everything inside the cottage was very clean, and everything worked well. Check-in was very pleasant and starts relatively early (at 2 pm). The flipside of that is that checkout is at 10 am--earlier than I have seen in a long time. They apparently once offered a continental breakfast, but signs in the lobby and in the rooms note that they don't anymore. Food is not hard to find nearby; there are two lobster pound/restaurants within a short walking distance and there is a supermarket about a mile up Rte. 3. My cottage (#8) had both a microwave and a small fridge; the fridge came in handy. As a postcard writer, I was very pleased that they are old-school in having postcards of the property for free (some friends will be getting some soon!), like all lodging used to do. The wi-fi and small TV both worked just fine. There can be some noise from Rt. 3, though what was loudest were some airplanes landing at the nearby airport--one came in very late at night. Best of all, Open Hearth is reasonably priced in an area where a decent deal in the summer is hard to find. I was glad I chose this old-fashioned place and would gladly do the Time Warp again.

Room Tip: Different cabins have different features and different prices--you can see much of that online when...
Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Sweet sweet old fashioned cabins. Like the places you stayed as a kid. Very Nostalgic.
Clean rooms and the owners are wonderful.. If you like a hard mattress you'll be happy. They are very very firm. The grounds are gorgeous. The hot tub, all I can say was incredibly wonderful amazing!.. The homemade muffins divine.. I don't eat carbs, but my husband raved about them. The owner made them every morning. They smelled and looked heavenly!!!

Room Tip: WE loved cabin 7!!! :)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great value close to Bar Harbor and Acadia. We stayed in Cottage 7 which had an efficiency kitchen which we enjoy when travelling on a longer trip - saves lots on eating in restaurants every day. The cottage was well laid out and had everything we would need for our stay. The owners were very helpful and customer oriented. The Jacuzzi was clean and looked very new. We certainly enjoyed it our first evening there after a long drive! The cottage was clean and the bed was comfortable. TV was very small but we didn't care as we weren't on vacation to watch tv, we were there to tour the area. I would certainly recommend this place to anyone and would be more than happy to stay there again in future. We were disappointed to see a for sale sign on the lawn on our way to our next destination on our trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megjo73
Salem, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in late May. We stayed in a cabin. The cabin was clean and cozy. The TV was no bigger than my laptop screen but it was adequate. There were a few things that needed updating and the property had a for sale sign up so things could change. We hoped to leave a day earlier and stay closer to Bar Harbor but they wouldn't let us out of our reservation. We saw that we could get a room closer to the water and Bar Harbor for about the same price. They didn't have a breakfast, there was a sign explaining that they had discontinued it. The hot tub was sparkling clean and pleasant. The owners were pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
BEST WESTERN Acadia Park Inn
Acadia Sunrise Motel
#1 of 3 in Trenton
Isleview Motel and Cottages
Narrows Too Camping Resort

Been to Open Hearth Inn? Share your experiences!