“Best part of our trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

Acadia Zoo-Kisma Preserve
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best part of our trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

The main thing I think other reviewers are missing is that this is a preserve, not a zoo. I went there expecting to see happy animals that were rescued for one reason or another and that is exactly what is there. It's clear that the animals come first and visitors second and that is as it should be. All of the animals were active and none of them seemed distressed. They explained that the tiger cub was bred as part of an effort to reduce future inbreeding when the wild population needed to be increased; before the gene pool decreases too much. My husband and I did the tiger experience and it made our entire trip. We're already planning another trip to Maine and hope to stop when the adult tigers are back in residence

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Kpants007

Boston, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Kisma Preserve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stopped by on my way back from Acadia Park, I was intrigued by the nature of the place being a preserve for animals. Our guide Sean was friendly but seemed a little scripted. Many of the animals were sleeping because it was very hot. You had to stay with him during the whole tour. While the premises could have used a little fixing up, the animals all seemed to have shade. The tiger cage was kind of small and only had concrete floors and not much stimulation for the animals. One woman who seemed to work/live there was walking around barefoot and did not seem friendly. A tour is $14.00 per person, An encounter with the baby tiger cub was $35.00. Two people on our tour did this and the rest of the tour got to watch, I'm not sure if this is typical but don't feel like you have to pay $35 because you might get to see the cub anyways.
for the amount of time we got to spend on the tour I thought $14 was a little much, I don't think I will come back.

6 Thank Emily P
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Not a great zoo but interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I were visiting the area and saw this in a guide book. While it was not big it was very interesting. The guide was knowledgeable and very pleasant. The children that were there enjoyed feeding and petting the tiger cub. I will say that I think $9.00 admission was ok but $35.00 to feed and pet the tiger cub was a bit excessive. We got to watch the kids do it and only paid the $9.00 admission fee. We saw a lynx,ravens,llamas, wolves, the tiger cub,a boa, owls and bears. The children that were there seemed to have a good time.

1 Thank jlsk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Kisma Preserve”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I've read some of the negative reviews & I would like to add some honest input. I've been coming to Maine for 29 years & I've driven by this zoo many times & never gave a second thought to it. Last year my boyfriend & I had nothing better to do so we stopped in & couldn't believe that there were tigers in Trenton, ME!! Tigers, bears, wolves, monkeys, lynxes, llamas, & owls, to be exact. I was pleasantly surprised considering it really doesn't look like much from the outside. Families & visitors read carefully: I will not lie, does it look a little run down? Yes. Is it some big fancy zoo like the Bronx or San Diego? No. This is a NON PROFIT preserve that takes in animals in need of rescuing. Some of the food for the animals are donated by Walmart & local supermarkets. The workers, "gruff" as I've read their descriptions to be, live on the premise & are NOT paid. They are volunteers working 7 days a week caring for these animals. It's not refined, but it's a neat little thing to do in Trenton (which there really isn't a whole lot to do in Trenton). A tour is about $14, but they have wolf encounters which are a little more $$, it's $50/pp but to me, worth it. You go right inside the cage & pet this big wolf who's as sweet as can be. We lucked out this year because a baby cub was born to 2 of their tigers, & we were lucky enough to feed & pet him. The same animals may not be there all of the time, when they get donations or enough $ to renovate the cages, animals are moved to other facilities during renovation. So families, call ahead to see what's available. We were not able to see the large tigers when we went this time due to the renovations, but the wolf & cub experience made up for it. Understand that these aren't dogs & cats, these animals need a lot more $ for veterinary care, food, & simple day to day maintenance. Come down & support the preserve, it's not a grand adventure, but it's still nice to see something different in the Down East. I truly recommend it, honestly.

12 Thank knoyes0110
Orono, Maine, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Please support the preserve”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I originally found out about Kisma preserve through a friend who worked there a few years ago. He let me come in with him to work one day and showed me around, the animals were in good condition and well cared for. I came back about a month ago with my boyfriend to check up on the place. Yes, it is appearing a little worn down and could use more maintaining but the animals are still looking good and that's what is important. To people who go there feeling sorry for the animals or complaining the place isn't what they were expecting, instead of boycotting Kisma preserve, please realize that they are under funded and in order to be up to your expectations they need supporters and not criticism.

Visited June 2013