“Traveling back in Time”

Fawcett's Antique Toy and Art Museum
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Waldoboro
More attraction details
Owner description: Aunt Lydia's Tavern was built in the early 1800s. It has undergone many changes over the years. Since 1996 it is the home of the Maine Antique Toy & Art Museum. We display a world class collection of antique toys, Disneyana, original items worn and used by the Movie Cowboy stars, 1977 Star wars, original comic strip art and animation cels. It is a museum enjoyed by adults. Be sure to bring your parents and grand parents. They will have a wonderful return to those thrilling days of yesteryear. Please arrive for the museum before 3pm. Open hours are Memorial Day to Columbus day 10-4pm. We are always closed on Tues & Wed. Columbus Day to Last weekend before Christmas, we open only Sat-Sun 12-4pm. We are closed from Christmas to Memorial day. Thank you.
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My husband and I walked into the shop/museum and were flooded with childhood memories. John took us through the museum and with his flashlight pointed out pieces and told their story. We stayed over 2 hours and didn't see everything. The collections are incredible and we are so grateful John has preserved this for our generation. I bought a folk-art lamb to be placed in the corner of my kitchen. It wasn't old but I asked John to tell me the story about it. He did, we all laughed and it will hold a special place in our home. As we were leaving, John told us about a pumpkin festival in a nearby village and we drove there. We were amazed at all the pumpkins lining the street and seeing the children's faces as they walked around the huge decorated pumpkins. Thank you John for sharing your love of history as well as finding time to share events with travelers who enter your museum.

1  Thank Cheri W

Reviewed 9 October 2013

An amazing collection!! I can't imagine how much time and money John has invested in his collection. Where most museums would one piece, John will have the entire set and a story to go with it. What ever your interest is, toys, cowboys, old TV shows, cartoons, comic books, Disney, he has it all. And I mean ALL! "Be prepared to spend several hours to be able to take it all in. We both had a great time in his shop and would recommend this for both old and young.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

As a lifetime collector of comic books, comic art,and pop-culture memorabilia, I can honestly say Fawcett's is the most amazing place I've ever seen in my life. It overflows with an incredible collection of antique cartoon-related toys, collectables, and original art. Disney, Lone Ranger, Krazy Kat---You name it, he's got it, and loads of one-of-a-kind items you cannot see elsewhere. And as an artist and collector myself, I found John's own original art pieces were some of the most interesting and exciting items in the place. In addition to allowing us to roam freely, John also was also a gracious host who took the time to personally point out some of the more unusual and unique items in his collection. When sadly, I said it was time for us to go he even took the time to give my wife and I hotel and restaurant recommendations in the area, several of which we took, and all of those we found terrific. I have recommended this place to anyone and everyone I know who shares my interest in pop culture, art and toys, and I only wish Chicago wasn't so far away because I would love to spend more time there. I cannot recommend Fawcett's highly enough.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

On our way back south from Acadia NP we stopped in again and had a 'double take,' having only spent three hours here the last time. John Fawcett, the owner, affirmed that he hadn't changed anything in the previous few weeks, but we swore everything was new - there's that much to see. It's like Alice chasing the rabbit down the hole...a brand new world. Even if you were hallucinating, you couldn't imagine more toys displayed in one area. So, another couple of hours later, we escaped and were on our way. But only after a snack of blueberry crumb cake at the diner across the street. And, almost certainly the next time we're mid-coast, we'll return.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

If "Horribly Rude" thought John Fawcett was rude, then he must have had a reason - perhaps he was expecting another call or the shop was crowded with people with questions. John is one of the most down-to-earth and friendly persons in Maine and given time will talk with you forever. I've known him for over 25 years, and would (and do) recommend his shop/museum to anyone travelling that part of Route 1. To miss it due to a misinterpretation of a single situation would indeed be "foolish." MRD