“Love It!!!!!!”
Review of Village Farm Alpacas - CLOSED

Village Farm Alpacas
More attraction details
Owner description: An educational tour of the farm and herd is offered with your purchase in the Alpaca Shop.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have purchased many items from this shop, socks (warmest I have ever had), sweaters (same warmth and are beautiful),they also have nice soaps too......owner is very nice and friendly......yes, a purchase is required for the tour, but it is NOT a petting zoo just a working farm......babies are especially adorable!.....I will go every summer I am in Maine.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We have spent summer vacations in Maine for the past 14 years-since our daughter was a baby. It is always a challenge to keep a teenager engaged so we were delighted when our daughter identified this as an interesting destination. A bit of a hike from where we were staying in Rockland but we thought it would be worth the drive to see the alpacas and perhaps purchase a gift for a niece. The flyer we picked up requested advance an appointment if we wanted to purchase an alpaca but that was not on our agenda. Just some alpaca gawking and shopping. The farm is not too far off the main road and when you drive in, you really feel like you have arrived at a quaint farm. The tiny shop looked charming from the outside. Parking is a real problem with room for only 3 vehicles and we were number 4. My husband went in to ask the owner where we should park and he directed us to a spot in front of the barn. No sign of any alpacas but we stepped into the cute shop. There were some really lovely items in the shop and prices seemed reasonable for the quality. I rarely make vacation purchases but I found a really lovely long sweater for $125. I was holding the sweater after trying it on when I heard the owner say that he was going to take another family on a tour. Our ears perked up as this was a primary objective for our outing. When we asked about joining, we were told by the owner that if I were to purchase the sweater in my hands then we could go since a minimum $25 purchase was required in order to be able to see the alpacas. This condition was not stated on the flyer the owner leaves in hotels and businesses. When I commented that I had planned to purchase the sweater but was not crazy about the tour being conditioned on a purchase, the owner launched into a rather caustic and unpleasant tirade about his legal liability and how it is a waste of time for him to give tours unless someone makes a purchase. Clearly this man is unfamiliar with the concepts of goodwill and customer service. Needless to say, this man lost a minimum purchase of $125-we had our eyes on a couple of other items. I am disappointed about the sweater as it felt great on but I bet my teenage daughter can find the same or similar item from another vendor on line. As for the alpacas, there is a lovely place on the right when headed north on route 1 from Moody's Diner. Lovely proprietors and we were able to walk around the farm and the barn to see their amazing alpacas. We also made some purchases in their shop- a much better place to go for an overall lovely Maine experience.

2  Thank Catherine N
Terry C, Owner at Village Farm Alpacas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thanks for visiting our farm...too bad you did not more closely read our brochure or see any of the four signs posted. The brochure says "an educational tour of our farm and herd is offered with your purchase in the farm store". We offer a very unique shopping experience where we connect our shoppers with the products they purchase by getting to learn about the alpacas those products are made from. But this requires that you actually have to buy the products...we are not the only business that does this with a perk. Try asking the Airlines for the complementary cocktail...but tell them you don't want to buy the ticket. We make it very clear that we are a shopping experience..."Shop at the Farm" is our slogan. We have signs that say
"Alpaca Farm Open only to Shop Patrons. We can not feed our alpacas, your goodwill. The money we make in our store keeps the farm afloat. It is unpleasant for us to have to defend a business practice that keeps us from become a free petting zoo. We always get excellent reviews from people who shop in the store and get great deals of really fine products and then leave our farm with a perk that is the farm tour..."We learn so much from you" they tell us.
And yes they happily made a purchase.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The alpaca farm is a bit hard to find in Waldeboro. Directions start with Moody's on the highway, but signs are confusing from there. The shopping area is very small and didn't have many sizes of the very comfortable slippers so we couldn't buy any. But they have a better selection of handmade alpaca stuffed animals, hats, gloves, and other clothing. With a $25 purchase, the owner will provide a short tour of the alpacas, who are great to see and hear about. No touching, but you can be in paddock with them. They are really fun to watch.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Four of us stopped at this attraction as one of us had visited last year, make a purchase, and was able to take a tour and photograph the alpacas. We no more got out of the car and approached the store, carrying cameras, when the owner stormed out of the shop and informed us that they were a store, not a zoo, and that if we wanted to spend some money we could have a tour. It was posted on the building that a purchase of $25.00 would get you a tour, and we can read. This man's attitude was so unnecessarily combative that none of us went into the store so I can't tell you what was in there and at what prices. We left, and he lost a potential four customers. I wouldn't advise anyone to visit this place.

2  Thank Hilltowngal
Terry C, Owner at Village Farm Alpacas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

When visitors arrive at our farm there are signs that ask "Please wait
to be escorted around our farm..."also we have our small parking area roped off. The only reason we would"charge out" is that we occasionally have
visitors who do not pay attention to our guidelines and start to
approach our electric fences....often with cameras to take photos before checking with us.
You have to respect the fact that we are a working family farm---the electric
fence runs 6,000 volts.So we saved this visitor from the high voltage fence---then they didn't
patronizes the store and they did not go on our educational tour and left without learning anything about our farm or even seeing any of our products. Wow it is like a
restaurant getting poor marks from someone who did not even eat there.
Not a fair review of our working farm.