“Quiet retreat”
Review of Blue Skye Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waldoboro
Blue Skye Farm
Ranked #2 of 6 Waldoboro B&B and Inns
Springfield, Vermont
“Quiet retreat”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is a wonderful, welcoming peaceful place. It has everything you need to have a few days away from the rest of the world. The owner is exactly the right blend of friendly and helpful and yet not in your face. The breakfasts were healthy and delicious with fresh local ingredients. Jan was extremely accommodating in regards to our unfortunate food allergies. There are no TV s in the rooms for which we were grateful but instead a large library of books to explore. The location of this inn is perfect for day trips to many coastal places. We look forward to a return stay.

1 Thank Kathrine G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 September 2013

What a lovely, beautifully cared for home. I felt immediately comfortable upon my arrival. My room was spacious enough and very clean, as was the bathroom. And, although the room faced the road, turning on the fan nearly eliminated the noise that I am sensitive to. While there wasn't a closet to hang items, I made good use of the coat stand and hangers, and there was room enough to spread out other items. The bathroom, while down the hall, was just fine, and the robe provided was comfy if you wanted to wear it to and from. The door to the shower stall was somewhat broken, but I was told how to remedy that in advance and it wasn't a problem. I imagine it is fixed by now. I liked that I was able to store food in the guest refrigerator (which was stocked with soft drinks, beer, and seltzer water for guests), and was welcome to cook my own dinner, which I did one evening when I just wanted to stay in. Speaking of food...breakfasts were delicious and plenty with several choices, some made from scratch by Jan, the owner. I would recommend staying at Blue Skye Farm. Oh, when I got to my next destination I discovered my camera battery must have slipped from the charger. Jan wrapped it and sent it back to my home.

Room Tip: I saw one other room that was equally as nice as my own, and imagine all rooms to be similar. Howev...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Little Compton, Rhode Island
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed on the front corner of the first floor in the king size bed. The windows were open all night and we slept very well. The rooms are very classy and elegant without being stuffy or with the kitsch you see in some period B&B's. We stayed in the area visiting family and will definitely make this our 'go to place'. Jan in sincerely friendly but gives lots of space for guests to read or relax. Amazing to me, the kitchen is open to guests to prepare their own lunch and dinner meals if they choose to with a separate 'guests refrigerator'. We did not take advantage of this but imagine a budget traveler would find this quite a money saver. All in all we were very impressed with the premises, a 230 year old New England gem in central Maine roughly midway between Portland and Arcadia National Park with lots of coastline, antiques and artisans to discover during your stay.

Room Tip: The king size bed has a private bathroom down the hall so we had to put shorts on to use the bathroo...
1 Thank kechip
janMaine, Owner at Blue Skye Farm, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
For anyone concerned with taking up room in their suitcase with bathrobes, we do provide them so you won't scare the horses on the way to your bathroom.
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My daughter and I stayed in the L-shaped room. We came across Blue Skye after being told my daughter, age 4, would not be welcome at another local B&B.

The room was charming and well tended. We got great sleep during our two-night stay. The L-shaped room has a loft above the ensuite bathroom, which is perfect for children.

The owner, Jan, was wonderfully accommodating and makes a delicious breakfast. One morning we had fresh corn cakes that were superb!

It would be our pleasure to stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We spent two wonderful days and nights at Blue Skye, and will certainly stay here again when we're next in the area. The comfort and hospitality afforded by Jan is among the very best we've ever experienced. The 1755 colonial house has been very well brought into the modern age without any compromise to the sense of the place as it was originally. Others have mentioned the incredible breakfast that's presented, and we've never experienced one like it; the cornucopia runneth over! There are books galore; we were particularly impressed at finding the Sibley birding guides on the living room side table. An unusual feature is the availability of a large refrigerator in which guests may store items needing refrigeration. We made good use of it to keep the sausages and other items we bought at Morse's delicatessen, about 5 miles up Route 220. Typical of the generosity with which guests are treated, that refrigerator is stocked with diet Coke, some really good beer, seltzer water, and milk. In sum, it's a wonderful experience, and we'll surely stay here again.
[It's true that, as complained about by another reviewer, that the place sits along the road, and that there is the occasional whoosh of the occasional passing car, with emphasis on the word occasional. One has to be exquisitely sensitive to be be bothered by it.]

Room Tip: We stayed in the idiosyncratic little suite at the back of the main floor, and would ask for it on o...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting family in area and found this a great retreat. Very clean room and bathroom ensuite and comfy bed. Breakfast was 8-930 am and everyone sits around grand table together eating muesli and cereals, various fruits, and whatever hot dish Jan is serving that morning (e.g., french toast, zucchini fritata, blueberry coffee cake). The atmosphere of the old house is quite wonderful, including the old furniture and hand stenciled "wall paper." We didn't need to use the air conditioner in the window as there was a cool snap. Would stay here again if necessary.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper don't get a front room as you may hear traffic altho' AC device mig...
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Great old colonial house off the beaten path. Located very close to the rural road that ensures you would hear every car go by if you have a front room. The doors to the front of the house, our bathroom and our shower stuck so badly that they could not be closed completely. Seems that Jan, the very nice owner, would invest in these minor but irritating repairs. Not being able to close the front door is a bit disconcerting! The breakfast was very good, prepared by Jan herself. Fresh berries, muesli, French toast that is beyond the ordinary, and great tasting sausage. Be aware that Jan would like payment in cash or check.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank viarueda
janMaine, Owner at Blue Skye Farm, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
My Californian guest was welcomed during a spell of most unusual Maine weather. Very hot, followed by very wet weather combined to shrink and then swell the wooden doors, many of the interior ones being original to the house. Anyone thinking of staying in a 1774 wooden New England home which advertises itself as offering a taste of a long ago world should expect just that. My guest was a late booking, which indicates to me that a hotel more to his taste was not available and he found himself instead at Blue Skye. Had he reserved ahead or perused my website he would have been well aware of our preference, along with most small inns, for payment by check or cash. We graciously accept credit cards when proffered. Blue Skye is old. Its walls are crooked. Weather depending, the doors don't fit and the floorboards creak. These are quirks to be enjoyed, not repaired.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waldoboro
Newcastle Inn
Berry Manor Inn
Berry Manor Inn
#1 of 8 in Rockland
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Blue Skye Farm? Share your experiences!