“World's Greatest Croissant”

Cuisines: Polish, Czech
Waterford, Maine
“World's Greatest Croissant”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

People from all over Maine (and New Hampshire) come to Marta's for Old World quality croissants, which Marta bakes fresh every morning (except Mondays) and serves in the little cafe attached to her home in a charming orchard in North Waterford, Maine. My wife and daughters and I have been coming here for years, usually arriving at 8 a.m. sharp and taking a table while Marta brews a cup of rich, European-style coffee, and tells us which of the items on her list — croissants, cinnamon rolls, coffee- and pound-cakes, and various pies and tarts — have been baked in the last few hours. Marta has two or three baker's racks on rollers that she wheels into the cafe with the latest items from her new red-enamel and steel oven. I see from below that there are two comments that wonder why Marta's isn't friendlier. It's a one-woman operation, and Marta, who learned her baking from her mother in her native Czechoslovakia, is a perfectionist who has her hands full. But she has a heart of gold and loves to talk about her wares. Worth a visit to sit down and have a cup of coffee and some baked goods and then to take a package or two of them home. Highly, highly recommended.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Seth L

Fryeburg, Maine
“What a waste of time, energy and gas”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We found this place just terrible. Over priced and not friendly at all. We were treated poorly, like we were bothering her by coming into her shop. We bought nothing and will not return.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank DebbiMaine
Harrison, Maine
“Yummy Chocolate Croissant...”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I'm not sure I spelled that right...but you know what I mean. This is a small bakery located at the owners home. It is a very pleasant setting. I drive 10 miles to get pastry here. My first visit was in Sept 2012 and you can only choose one date for the review. However I have been back many times. When I have company coming I drive to Marta's so they will be able to enjoy her delicious goodies with their morning coffee. I also like to stop if I am out for a drive. Her cakes are amazing. Pies too. Don't worry about the calories...just enjoy!

Visited September 2012
Bridgton, Maine
“Not so friendly”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The baked goods are very tasty but the atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired. Owner not the friendliest.

Visited December 2012