“Stay away............far away!”

Budget Host Airport Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Waterville
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My friend and I took a weekend business trip to Maine and had the "pleasure" of staying at what is portrayed to be a hotel. Let me preface my review with the fact that neither my friend, nor I, are people that require anything special from our lodging. Just clean, and a good nights sleep. We received neither.

The first red flag occurred we pulled up to our room and the surrounding rooms had room chairs outside their doors. They were placed their by their full time residents. Nice touch. Upon entering the room we were confronted with a carpet that was dirty and had multiple burn marks. The bathroom had numerous cracks in the tile floor, and while the door did have a handle, the latch had been ripped out and could not be closed or locked.

Since I had made the reservations, my friend gave me the "Way to go, Ace" look and we basically said, "oh well, it's just for 2 nights". Friday night went ok, and we did get a good nights sleep. Saturday was a different matter. The yelling, arguing and door slamming started at about 2am. I can't tell you what the fuss was about because I didn't understand the language. This went on till about 4am. At that point we just packed our stuff and got the heck out of Dodge. NEVER again!

I'll give anyone who is considering staying here some sound advice...........stay away. It's a flea bag run by folks who have no pride in ownership.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bfg548

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We were on a road trip around New England to do some leaf peeping. The hotel was basic but clean and the bed was reasonably comfortable. There was a smell that was in the room when we arrived, but sleeping with the window open seem to alleviate the problem.

The breakfast the next morning was basic but adequate, it was a bit of a stretch to call it a hot breakfast, as the only thing hot was the make-it-yourself waffle, even the coffee was cold. We found it a little disconcerting that the owner stood at reception and what we felt was "keeping an eye" on us so that we didn't eat too much.

It is an easy drive to Bar Harbor and Arcadia National Park, so is a good stop off point to make the journey the next day.

In Waterville there was a movie theatre, so staying there made it affordable to go to the movies and dinner.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed for just one night, and for one night, it was perfectly acceptable. The hotel is a bit old, and needs to be refurbished, but for the price ($75 for a double with 2 beds during "leaf peeper" season), I really could not find much to complain about except the fact that the black out curtains barely covered the window, and there was a lot of ambient light in the room all night. The owners were very pleasant and accomodating. The BEST part about Budget Host was that in addition to the usual cereal, toast, juice, coffee/tea, juice and milk, they had a "make your own" waffle maker! The waffles were simply delicious, and it was a real treat to be able to make myself a fresh waffle before continuing my journey. If I was passing through Waterville again, I would stay at Budget Host. Certainly not luxury accomodations, but clean. There is a "Thai Pad Too" restaurant attached to the hotel. We did not try it, but it seemed to be packed with locals when we checked into the hotel - all the license plates outside the restaurant were Maine plates.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nopennycn
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I had to stay in Waterville, Maine overnight and the rates were through the roof at the places I would have preferred - (height of the tourist season.) I read some of of the earlier reviews of the Budget Host Airport Inn and was really nervous, but decided to give it a shot. I am really glad I did and was pleasantly surprised.

Look, this is not a resort. There is no pool, sauna, computer room or gym. The accommodations are not luxurious, period. But the room was absolutely spotless.
The bed was really firm. The water pressure in the shower was just fine. There was no noise coming into my room from other rooms or outside. And best of all, the air conditioning was really great. It was the hottest day of the year - 95 degrees - and the air conditioner cooled the room very quickly and kept it at the temperature I wanted. I got a good night's sleep and was on my way the next day. All this for about half of what I would have had to pay elsewhere.

Also, I should mention that the staff were uniformly courteous and very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Waingrow
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I don't mind splurging on high-end accommodations for a romantic getaway, but when all I need is a one-night room on the road to somewhere else, my inner cheapskate emerges and I feel compelled to seek out the best deal at the lowest price. Last week, I found a great deal at the Budget Host. The online reviews ranged from neutral to negative, but hey -- my spouse and I were just going there to sleep, shower, and get back on the road in the morning, so how bad could it be? Well, we were pleasantly surprised. The front desk folks were cordial and efficient even though we arrived quite late, the bed was comfortably firm, the towels and linens were spotless, and the shower was warm with good water pressure. The room was equipped with a large-screen cable TV, microwave, and mini-fridge, although we didn't need or use any of these items. For under $45 including tax (in an area where most of the chain motels start at $99 during high tourist season), these amenities are all I need to happily rate this one-star as "very good" for its category. The rate even includes a limited continental breakfast! Nothing remarkable, just coffee, tea, juice, store-bought mini-muffins and white English muffins, but it certainly added to the overall value of our stay. I expect that we will stay here again on our next trip through Waterville!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Festival_Lovers
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Unless you are on a budget, avoid this hotel! When you walk in the hallway the musty oder is overwhelming. The rooms smell much the same. We needed to purchas some air freshener to make it tolerable. I have stayed here many times over the last 25 years and this was the wost condition this facility has ever been in. My wife and I were both eaten by fleas while we slept.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank dcsteve56
Reviewed 20 May 2010

NEVER AGAIN! Very unfriendly. There is a reason this hotel is ranked #6 out 6 hotels in Waterville listed here on trip advisor.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CTLADY_USA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville
Fireside Inn & Suites
Pittsfield Motor Inn
Pittsfield Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Pittsfield
Best Western Plus Augusta Civic Center Inn

Been to Budget Host Airport Inn? Share your experiences!