“Good food, service so-so”
Review of 18 Below Raw Bar

18 Below Raw Bar
Ranked #2 of 88 Restaurants in Waterville
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Iron Mountain, MI
“Good food, service so-so”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We showed up on a Friday night without a reservation (party of 3). We were asked to wait for 30 minutes which seemed fair. The hostess directed us to the bar upstairs to wait. In the bar, there was a group of 5 at a table and 3 others sitting at the bar. We sat at a table and waited 15 minutes to order a round of drinks. 10 minutes later, the hostess came up and said our table was now ready. We told the bartender, thinking he would send the drinks to our table, but he told us our drinks were coming right up. A few minutes later the hostess showed back up wondering if we still wanted the table. The bar tender came over and poured our drinks which we had to turn around and attempt to carry down stairs to out table.
At the table, we waited another 15 minutes for the waitress. Once ordered, another 20 minutes for the food to arrive. But, to be fair, the food was very good.

• Visited June 2014

Winslow, Maine
“Best restaurant in town.”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I had the chicken strips, calamari, and roast duck, as well as some wine and a martini. The food and drinks were phenomenal, as well as the attentive staff. The atmosphere was intimate and classy. I will absolutely come here again and recommend it to all my friends. This is a little bit of Portland or Boston in the middle of Waterville, Maine, and it's the best restaurant in town.

• Visited June 2014
Thorndike, Maine
“If You Have Not Tried This Restaurant, Do So!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Company was looking for a venue for retirement party dinner and tried to make reservation at another local restaurant that was booked for the evening. Went on tripadvisor, found 18 Below and called. So glad we did. Asked employees for feedback and this is what I received: oysters were spectacular – sweet, fresh and briny; crab cakes were bad-too hard, too much cracker; calamari was real good especially with that sauce; best calamari I've had; all the sauces were good; flavored mash potatoes (with horseradish) yum; I had the maple glazed plank salmon, probably the best meal I have ever eaten; would return to this restaurant in a heartbeat; I was pleased with the vast menu choices. Great plate presentation and no complaints about any of the dinners. I give it 5 *’s; angel hair pasta pancakes had great flavor, were a little dry, so could use some kind of sauce; great steak, great scallops, great atmosphere. Owner, Travis called ahead and had appetizers for 30 ready for us when we arrived. They were wiped clean and overheard many compliments. Had fun with raw bar appetizers. Not one complaint about the desserts. Many employees have travelled far and wide, so great job 18 Below. Your restaurant was compared to some of the best in the "larger" cities across the U.S.A. We will be back!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Michelle L
“Great food and service. Worth a return”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Nice ambiance in a cellar. Friendly service. Started with some clams which were outstanding. Rare yellowfin for dinner also great. Unfortunately, their beer taps weren't working and they were low on some of their beer selections. Besides that a great meal and worth a return visit.

• Visited May 2014
Mount Vernon, ME
“Good food, bad service”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Although this is the second time I've been there, I have to say maybe I shouldn't have gone on a wednesday night. For one they were out of a lot of things on the menu including lobster and the veal.

The food that was available was good(My mom did not like her's but she is set in her ways!), the Food was well presented, however, the waitress was very un-attentive. I had to go up to the bar to order our second round of drinks as we were never asked if we wanted another drink and almost seemed like we were being ignored. (there was only a few parties in the restaurant at this time). As well, we were asked if we wanted a desert menu, we said yes, and after ten minutes, I simply got up and asked for my check as the desert menu never came.

• Visited April 2014