“Good Choice”

Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Waterville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Best Western continues to provide good accommodations for travelers. This motel had spacious rooms, thick towels, and a breakfast with plentiful choices. It was a little pricey, but that may be because of the area.

Room Tip: We always ask for a first floor room for easy access.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
kspaulding, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Ruth D,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We will hope to see you again on your next trip!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

On the whole, this is a solid place. The complete breakfast in the morning is especially appealing. What is problematic is that the bathroom lock malfunctioned locking my daughter in the bathroom at around 10PM. Thankfully, the response was speedy and about 30 minutes later she was out. The first person who responded could not get the door open and kept saying, "Well, it's an old building and things like this can happen." Eventually the General Manager was called and he did manage to get the door open. This sort of thing just should not happen. Still, it's a good, reasonably priced place. They did give us a 20% discount on the stay. Not great but not bad. Would I go back? No!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear John T,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate the feedback you have given us and steps have been taken to correct this issue. I'm the glad the response time was quick and we were able to resolve the problem. We do sincerely hope that you will give us another try when in the Waterville area. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your daughter. Thank you again!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our room was large and nicely furnished with an arm chair with ottoman, a desk and desk chair, and a small console table. All the furniture was very tasteful and appeared to be fairly new. The bathroom counter was quite reasonable in size counter, and there was a shelf underneath which provided even more storage space

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Emily M, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi CFH_NOLA,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the amenities in your room and at our hotel! We hope to host you again the next time you are in the Waterville, Maine area.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Everythings was OK !! I'll do reserved there in the future, for SURE !!! The employee at the office was friendly and professionnal.... ! The food at the restaurant was great ! Coffee.... good !!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank felixgiguere
Emily M, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hi Felixgiguere,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We greatly appreciate this positive feedback and hope that you stay with us again the next time you are in the Waterville, Maine area!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stay here often when I travel to Waterville. Overall I'm pleased. My only complaints are:
1. the front desk staff sometimes seem 'annoyed' with people coming up to the desk (I've encountered this mostly in the morning when I go to get my breakfast coupon).
2. why not provide the breakfast coupons when you check in so that you can easily head to breakfast in the morning?
3. TV/Cable reception is poor!!! Many channels do not have clear reception yet I can go down into the lobby and the TV there has a perfect picture.
4. Wifi signal is weak in many of the rooms I've stayed in.

On a positive
1. the rooms are generally very clean
2. the bed is comfy
3. they have more to offer in the room (fridge, microwave) than other hotels
4. the breakfast is good (though sometimes slow).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hi Tammy K.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We really appreciate your feedback and will use these points to help better our amenities and services. In regards to the breakfast coupon, we have found when given at check in they are easily misplaced and the guest must return in the morning for a replacement coupon. If it is easier for you please just ask at check in for your coupon and we would be more than happy to give it to you.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have a swim and fitness membership at the Best Western Plus in Waterville. I have had concerns about the fact that the pool attendant is seldom on duty and that anyone from the street has access. A day ago a group of youngsters were conducting rowdy horseplay in the hot tub area. There was no one to complain to. The next day these same youths, several not in swim attire, were monopolizing the pool area again.I asked that they respect other members.
Today as I was leaving the swim and fitness center I was accosted by a loud burly man who basically could have been anyone off the street because he had no identification of any sort. He rudely began to shout at me, while making threatening gestures,about disturbing his "guests". When I asked for his name he said he was Brian but I had to pry his last name out of him.I was very upset that despite having a membership card I was not considered a guest. As I left the area I could hear this individual still shouting at me. When I came home I told my husband about this experience. He called Best Western but was told that Brian Leclaire has no supervisor and they were not allowed to give any information about who the owner is or how to contact them.
One has to wonder how the owners will react once they are contacted since contact them I will. Owners of property are a part of the public record.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank BulleWatervilleMaine
kspaulding, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear BulleWatervilleMaine,

Thank you for the time you took to write this review. We appreciate the fact that you have been a member of our Swim Fitness Center since the end of June. The man who spoke to you was in fact Brian our General Manager. He politely asked that you do not swear at our guests and tell our hotel guests to get out and then speak to our employees in the same manner. We ask that all our pool members sign in with their name and membership number for our records each time they come to use the facilities.

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I have used trip advisor regularly to travel throughout Europe and the United States for about 7 years and have found it to be quite reliable. I took my daughter up to Maine to see some colleges and we stayed over night in Waterville. I didn't know that I had been eaten alive by bed bugs until I had returned home and realized what had happened. I called the hotel and spoke with the General Manager to tell her of my experience. She seemed genuinely concerned and said that they were well trained in this sort of thing and that she was going to look into it. At the end of the conversation she wanted to just say "good-bye", so I asked if she could follow up with me (which surprised me that I even had to ask). She took my number and said I'd hear back within a day. One week (plus) now and I haven't heard back. I'm certain she found my claim to be true and didn't call me back in fear of my making it public. Truly, if she had just called me back, discussed her findings and let me know their course of action, I would have asked her to reimburse me and be done with it. But not hearing back while I am still itching madly makes me angry. I will never stay in a hotel again without lifting the sheets and doing a thorough check for bed bugs. I urge all readers to do the same.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 234!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank mominholland
kspaulding, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear mominholland,

Thank you so much for the time you took to write this review. We always appreciate all feedback. I wanted to let you know that we take any concerns of bed bugs extremely seriously. We had the room inspected by the professionals and the room was found to be clear. Best Western has very rigorous training programs regarding Bed Bugs that our staff must go through. Again, thank you so much for the time you took to write this review.

Have a great day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville
Hampton Inn Waterville
Comfort Inn Civic Center
Senator Inn & Spa
Senator Inn & Spa
#5 of 9 in Augusta

Been to Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!