“Must stop for the chowder.”

Brown's Clam Shanty
Ranked #23 of 76 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$4 - US$24
Description: Casual dining experience, eat in air conditioned dining room or outside seating with picnic tables and deck, bar with beer and wine, seafood - fried, baked or grilled salmon and haddock, burgers, salads, clam & seafood chowder, lobster rolls, fried clams, clam strips, scallops, haddock, shrimp
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

We stopped here on a whim as it was local to where we were staying. The staff was very friendly, it wasn't forced if you know what I mean. They were very helpful with their menu choices.
If you get one thing, get the clam chowder! It is one of the best I ever had and I've tried more than a few. The rest of our food was really good too.
Stop by, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

This place must be the best kept secret in the area! We happened to stop by the first night of our vacation weekend in Wells. Food was excellent! Everyone loved their food: chowders, French fries, onion rings, lobster rolls, fish! It was all perfect! Wasn’t sure whether to stop in as the parking lot wasn’t very busy compared to the other area restaurants but this place exceeded our expectations. It was a little confusing when we walked in as there is a small sign that says to order at the counter. After you order your food you find a table in the dining room and they will bring your food to you. All of the other restaurants we tried over the weekend could not compare to the food at Brown’s. Keep up the good work! We will definitely return!

Reviewed 4 September 2018

Yummy lobster roll and clam chowder!!! Onion rings were perfect!! Friendly staff.
Food is delivered to the table when ready. It was a beautiful day to sit outside and enjoy lunch. I would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

Had an enormous Fisherman's Platter and Lobster Roll. Fish Platter was cooked perfectly with fresh seafood. Had the best deal in town.....Lobster Roll and Clam Chowder Special for $19.95
Will be back

Reviewed 26 August 2018

I called Brown's because it was closest to our hotel when we arrived in Ogunquit with our two kids, 6 and 12 years old. Also, the reviews were good so we went for it. It was already 7:30pm and we were hungry. I called to ask a few questions about their online menu and soon realized that the prices were wrong. The online menu was on average 2 dollars less than the menu at the restaurant. I guess my reaction shocked her...as if I was questioning her knowledge of the menu prices. She said that the menu was right in front of her. I told her that they should update the online menu and that spending over 10 dollars more than I thought wasn't something that I was thrilled about (I don't recall my exact words). I asked clarification on a few more items including the kid's menu ( with was no longer 695 but 895)...ok, I was annoyed and I'm sure that my voice displayed my annoyance. Wouldn't you be annoyed? I told her I would call back in a few minutes with the order. I called back after I reviewed everything with my kids and husband. I placed the order with another party at the restaurant... he later identified himself as one of the chefs who was helping answer the phones. I again, was asking for the prices of all of the items that I ordered...in turn he was asking someone else all of prices. He said that someone else had brought up the online price difference before. He had mentioned it to the owner but to no avail. He seemed to want me to explain it to the owner, but I mentioned to him that we had just arrived and we were hungry and it was getting late. I then told him that I thought they should honor the online menu prices. He didn't respond. I finished the order and then hung up. Within a couple of minutes I received a call back. I thought it was the same gentleman, but it was the owner. He identified himself as the owner and he said that he understood there was an issue with me regarding the pricing of the online versus the menu in the store. I told him that I was asking for clarification on all of the items because the prices were different from the online prices. He then told me that they would not be completing the order for us. We should go else ware. Well, I think that's pretty silly and immature. I guess that was my punishment for his error. We had just driven over 4 hours. My husband was livid. I was shocked and thought that he the owner made a poor and heated decision. It wasn't right. If he doesn't want the difference between the menus to be brought up then update the website or take the menu prices off. I'm not sure why he was upset with me for his own error, maybe because it wasn't the first time it was an issue. I don't think that it's good business practice to refuse to serve someone. I actually thought he was calling to apologize and honor the online prices. Silly me! Ordered from another restaurant....please note all of the prices online were the prices we paid. No issues, great service (all on the phone) Mentioned to another couple who arrived at our hotel what happened at Brown's. They were as shocked as are we were, still are. FYI, I am not a crazy nut who goes off on people, or curses over the phone or is unreasonable. The owner's response was uncalled for and I hope that he regrets his decision and maybe corrects his menu prices that are on his own restaurant website.

Lisa B, Owner at Brown's Clam Shanty, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Every season there are one or two occasions where we decline service to an individual, out of the tens of thousands of guests we serve each year you are the ONE customer I refused to serve in the 2018 season........Congrats.. Your condescending, belittling and ill treatment of our team members was unacceptable. You had an attitude of entitlement that most reasonable individuals would not tolerate. You are probably shocked and upset because you are used to people tolerating your rude behavior.........well, not here. We serve fantastic food with great service. Our website says "prices subject to change"

Been to Brown's Clam Shanty? Share your experiences!