“Excellent Vacation Spot!”
Review of Village by the Sea

Village by the Sea
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Every time I have stayed here it's been fabulous! Each condo is designed differently and it's fun to see how each one is done. Staff is friendly, amenities are a nice plus, although having someone on site for the arcade games would be nice....they tend to eat money....having to then go to the reception desk for a return on funds. Centrally located to everything, place is very clean.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, inside corridors and stairs.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Was there last week 8/9-8/16, 2014, for the second time staying at this resort. Found a wonderful suite with a wonderful view. Our suite this year was 110% better than last years outdated room. Staff helpful and friendly as always, our housekeepers were very kind and efficient, pools were clean and enjoyable. The only reason I could not rate this as 4 stars was because our dishwasher was broken. Hard to go on a vacation with extended family (5 of us in total in 1- 2 bedroom suite) and have to wash dishes by hand on vacation. We planned to eat several meals in our suite, but changed our plans because nobody wanted to wash dishes by hand on vacation! Maintenance did come twice, on the second visit (prompted by a second phone call) we were told they would come the next day (Monday), repair or if not possible to repair would replace the dishwasher promptly and that they would leave us a note to keep us abreast of the situation. Unfortunately they did not return, nor leave a note, nor keep us abreast of the situation. After reading other reviews on trip advisor, I noted others whom have stayed at VBTS had the same problem, seems to be a trend. Considering looking to rent elsewhere next summer to ensure at they amenities provided for our stay will be in working order.

2  Thank Lori S
VBTS, Manager at Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. Here at Village by the Sea customer service and guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance. Our property is unique in the sense that all of our units are individually owned and all items within the unit are furnished by the owner. With this said we do provide maintenance and housekeeping for our units and all units should be maintenance free for our guests.

After further review of your reservation I have identified the unit that was experiencing this issue and have rectified the problem with the dishwasher. As hotel manager I assure you that an incidence such as the one you encountered truly is limited and in no way is a trend.

I would like to extend to you my apologies for any inconvenience having a broken dishwasher caused you during your stay and also for falling short of our guest service experience. We would enjoy the opportunity to have you back as our guests and hope that this reply will encourage you to stay with us again. If you would like to contact me directly when scheduling your next visit, please feel free to contact me directly. I hope enjoy the rest of your summer and will look forward to hopefully hearing from you in the near future.

Yours truly,
Jill Robie
Hotel Manager
Phone: (207)646-1100 Ext 1015

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Went to a wedding at this resort, and stayed for 2 nights with my parents. This place has a lot of personality. All the suites are decorated differently but they all have great amenities and are kept up very well. The staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. You're right in the midst of great beaches, restaurants, and bars but still with that "Maine" feeling of being in wilderness. Most of the rooms overlook the water (I was in several of the suites as family / friends were staying at the resort). We had a fantastic time. I would recommend this as a great place to get married as well.

Room Tip: Second floor corner suites are great. We stayed in 12C the first night and it was FABULOUS.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

we've stayed at VBTS for a few years now. On prior stays, we've had noisy upstairs tenants that disturbed our sleep, but not this time. The units are older and the décor is outdated, but the unit met our needs. We basically just sleep there and eat breakfast, then head to the beach. If that's what you are planning on, VBTS will be fine for you. The 2 BR units are more economical than two hotel rooms for a family of 5, and the units are pretty spacious. The beds in this unit were actually comfortable, unlike other units we've stayed in. The only negative on bedding was the condition of the pull out couch. It was not useable. VBTS is also great if you are travelling for less than a full week. As long as you book early, you can find units for shorter stays, mid week stays, etc.

Room Tip: book early and review the photos on line to get the better units
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Overall the Village by the Sea was a great place to stay. The condo unit was a perfect size for mine and my brothers family with 2 bedrooms (one for each family), a big living room with a huge sectional couch that we could all easily fit on. The unit was not luxurious but it was clean and sizable. We were on the top floor so I can't comment on the noise from other units. My kids especially enjoyed the indoor pool. One thing to note is it had a little less in the kitchen as far as supplies than other properties I've stayed at. It has some dishes, pans, paper towels and a dish cloth but no saran wrap for covering food or other cooking supplies as some rentals I've used before does. It's not a big deal as long as you know to bring it or buy it. There's plenty of places nearby to buy any supplies needed. The only negative is the pull-out bed couch in the bedroom was stained (and could use a good cleaning) and not comfortable AT ALL. Unless small kids were sleeping on it (which was our case), I would not recommend counting it as a sleeping option. I would not recommend it for adults or older kids as you could feel the bars right through the mattress. My kids are light and it didn't bother them but I would not lay on it for more than 30 seconds as an adult.

1  Thank Brenda R
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Rented a 2BR, 2 bath condo for 7 nights with my husband and three young kids. Condo was clean, beds were comfortable and the kitchen, while a little sparse, did have plenty for me to make meals. Appliances were on the older side but worked very well and the plastic balcony furniture was cheap (units are individually owned, so this will vary based on the unit). Stayed in building 12 which is on the end and we had a great view of the salt marsh and ocean even though we were not on a top floor. There is free WiFi (although a little slow but hard to complain about it being free). We enjoyed both the outdoor and indoor pool/spa. Liked that all linens were provided as well as pool towels, and I also liked the "light" housekeeping service every day (make beds, replace towels). Front desk staff was very nice and helpful. We also made use of the four gas grills that are provided by the pool area. Also well located, close to the beach and stores. I only give it 4 stars though because I thought the rec room wasn't much of a rec room (two arcade games and an air hockey table), the pool towels were poor quality, and three window blinds broke and fell off the windows the first two days we were there (they were promptly replaced). Overall, very good stay! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 12, middle floor. It was an end unit (less noise from neighbors) and still had...
1  Thank MCJ699
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Would not recommend overall.
Location is good. On the trolley line and across from a coffee place. The unit itself was pretty bad. Peeling paint, musty moldy furniture and overall pretty dirty even for a beach place. Overall pretty run down although the staff was nice. Remember that these are apartment type units and if you are on the bottom floor as I was then you also deal with kids and heavy footed people above.

Stayed: August 2014