“Fresh ingredients, excellent seasoning, good service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 68 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub, International
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York
“Fresh ingredients, excellent seasoning, good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

My mother and I are very picky about corned beef and cabbage as it is one of our favorite meals. We do not like it too salty, too garlicy. In fact, both of us have slightly high blood pressure which means we avoid restaurants that use too much seasoning salt to cover up food that is not very fresh.

I researched this place before bringing my Mom here and based on the mostly-good Trip Advisor reviews, we chose to eat here on a recent visit to our beach house in Southern Maine. As usual, the majority of good reviews were spot-on! We read that someone here visited this place and they did not have the Corned Beef and Cabbage (or they ran out) and the Trip Advisor reviewer said they were told the ingredients were all fresh here and that they did not have a big freezer (or did not use a freezer...sorry...cannot remember exact words). When I read this I thought, "Sounds like MY KIND of place" but I had to make sure they had Corned Beef and Cabbage before we went. They did :-) And wow...we think it was the best we have ever had according to our palates.

In fact, our entire meal was excellent and so well seasoned. We could taste the nuances of the seasonings, herbs, etc. We started by sharing the Brie Fondue (with apricots) and fresh bread. This was perfectly melted and was the ideal blend of savory with just a touch of sweetness. Outstanding! We also shared a salad with Lemon Basil dressing and fresh fennel...some of our favorite ingredients. It was absolutely divine! The fennel, the lemon and basil could all be tasted without an overload of garlic, onion or salt. We could have made a meal out of these appetizers alone. In fact, on my next trip, I plan to do just that!

My Mom had the Corned Beef and Cabbage and we could actually taste the seasonings and food! The best way to describe it is very fresh tasting...very homemade...not "commercial" or cliche. There was no excess garlic or salt covering up the quality of any of these ingredients. I had the haddock (which they will bake instead of fry, if you like). I also asked them to sub in the champs potatoes instead of fries. This was one of the most perfectly baked haddocks I have ever had...and the portion was huge! The potatoes were also so fresh tasting as if I made them at home. Again...no cover-up seasonings. My guess is that the food is fresh and they do not have to hide the flavor.

We took the banana bread pudding to go and it was plenty to share...very rich...not sickening sweet like so many desserts tend to be.

I read on the website that this place has a Culinary Institute of America trained chef. Whoever they have in the kitchen...they know how to season well and not overdo do it! So refreshing! I will be back every time I go to this part of Maine!

• Visited October 2013

Queens, New York
“Nice bar experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stopped in a couple of times for a beer. The bartender Tommy is super friendly and very welcoming and accomodating. He provided samples of his tap options to help us make a selection and remembered us the second time we dropped in many weeks later. the bar ambiance is warm and friendly and it's easy to strike up a conversation.
They offer a nicely prepared burger for only $5.99 if you get there before 5pm.
They have a live band, but I've never been there for the music and can only imagine it would be a great time. If you're looking for a bar, a beer, and a burger - this is it.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Rosalie C
Colchester, Connecticut
“Best Bangers and Mash this side of the Pond!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We found this Gem of a restaurant through a dining package at Village by the Sea. We've been back several times since, as my husband fell in love with the Bangers and Mash (which he first tried off my plate on our first visit). In fact, on Labor Day weekend this year my husband suggested we go there for dinner, and we live in CT! We called Village by the Sea to see if they had a room and headed out within the hour. The decor is beautifully done and very creative especially around Halloween. Both the management and waitstaff are very friendly and accommodating. The food is CONSISTENTLY fabulous. They handle a crowd very well. Prices are very reasonable, especially considering the quality and amount of food you get. Libations are quite potent!

• Visited September 2013
Wells, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Feile is fabulous. Owned and operated by a local family. Food is great. The Smokehouse Mac & Cheese & Bangers and Mash are my favorites!! Wait and Bar Staff are wonderful. Always great entertainment offered. Have to try it

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank nails2tails
Connecticut
“outstanding experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Great corned beef and cabbage dinners and the butternut squash soup was out of this world!
Our server,Rachel, knew that we wanted to hear the live Irish band and made us feel comfortable enjoying a leisurely dinner. She even offered to show us the rest of the restaurant housed in a beautiful historic building. Will definitely return when we visit this area. Oh, try the banana bread pudding - but be sure to share it with someone else - portions are very generous.

Visited October 2013