“Usually a pleasant stay...not this time”
Review of The Garrison

The Garrison
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Manchester, NH
“Usually a pleasant stay...not this time”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We've stayed at the Garrison many times and have usually had a very enjoyable time, which is why we keep returning. The rooms are clean, rates reasonable and the location is perfect for our needs.

Unfortunately, three things happened that kept this from being a great visit. The first was minor...after being gone for 4 hours our room had not been cleaned in spite of leaving a "housekeeping request" on the door. A disappointment for my partner who was looking forward to a vacation snooze in a cool room.

The second thing was more annoying. There was a group of 9 women who felt the pool was their private party venue. I was the only guest at the pool when they encamped with booze, coolers, inflatable toys, a boom box playing full blast and using loud, vulgar language. Unable to enjoy a leisurely swim or a peaceful spot in the sun, I returned to our room. In the past the Garrison has been a wonderful place to relax, enjoy the pool and the beautiful view of the Rachel Carson preserve. Not this time, it was more like a party at a frat house.

When I checked out the next day Angela, one of the new owners, asked about our stay. I told her what had occurred. Her response was more upsetting that the two incidents. Angela told me that they don't guarantee a specific time that rooms will be cleaned. Which I took to mean that you pay only to sleep here, not use of the room during the day. Evidently I was also wrong for not complaining to the person at the front desk about the pool incident when it occurred. Angela said the desk person would have spoken to the party gals, after which I'm sure they would have welcomed me back to the pool area after realizing I was the reason for their party was ended.

The pool is in close proximity to the office which makes it difficult to believe the front desk person couldn't hear the frat party and didn't intervene to enforce their rules without a guest "complaining."

The final and most important issue that contributed to a less than pleasant stay at the Garrison was Angela's responses to a long-time customer's complaint.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Peterbilt13
GMGarrison, Owner at The Garrison, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Renee,
Our housekeepers work very, very, hard and like every other hotel we have them clean checkouts first. This is the most efficient method of doing business as we have a 2 PM check in. They have a very limited amount of time to "flip"rooms. Unfortunately you found this inconvenient.
I have just looked at the housekeeping hours from the day you were inconvenienced and housekeeping left for the day around 2:30. Not sure what time you were expecting them to service your room.
Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what time our guests will be coming back to the hotel for naps.
The pool area is open to all of our guests. We wish you would have come to the desk with your complaints about the pool area and if things were indeed out of hand we could have addressed it.
Upon your complaints at checkout I asked some other guests (in private) that I knew to be at the pool on the day in question if the ladies (group of school teachers on vacation) you were speaking of were a problem.
They went in the complete opposite direction of you. They raved about them and in fact many of them joined them for a barbecue that same night at our grill area.
I am sorry if they did not invite you to this.
The great thing about our pool area is that many of our regular guests meet each other there and form life long friendships. Many times they plan their annual trips to the Garrison to coincide with those of their new friends.
Unfortunately you were not able to partake in this spirit.
We try very hard to satisfy every guest that walks onto our property and I think all of our other reviews in the past year speak to this.
We will stand by all of those.
Regards,
Justin Gagnon
The Garrison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have stayed at the Garrison several times over the past ten years and it continues to exceed our standards. It has always been fantastically clean and maintained. I have noticed several improvements over the years. The staff are all very nice. Two of us shared an efficiency room which was roomy and comfortable, and at $165 a night was quite reasonable for July. It has a nice pool too. I would recommend the Garrison for your Wells vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Whitman, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family has been going to Wells, Maine on vacation since long before I was born. I have been staying at The Garrison on and off for years. The new owners are wonderful, the renovations amazing. I've been 3 times so far this year and will be back again at least 2 more times this summer. I love the new pool, the view from each cottage and how centrally located they are. Angela and Justin were very helpful. I hope this is a great success for them!

Room Tip: Both motel rooms and cottages are fantastic.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here in June for a 2nd visit. Had a 2nd floor suite room, same vicinity as last year, and was just as happy. The accommodations (suite rooms) are always very clean, modern and comfortable. Although the property is on Route One, I found it pretty quiet, with amazing views of the salt marsh and beyond. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Check in very easy and efficient. Already planning to stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Belchertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My family has been coming to Wells for 25+ years, and coming to the Garrison for a few years now. We've stayed in the luxury suites as well as the cottages. We have also had family with us that have stayed in the motel rooms, so we have the property pretty well covered. The Garrison is centrally located in Wells, and is very close to any attraction you could want while away (beach, restaurants, trolley, markets, gas, etc.). York, Ogunquit and Kennebunk are also a short drive away. The property itself is well maintained, the rooms/kitchens well equiped and clean. The views of the ocean in the distance are very nice, the outdoor pool inviting and clean, outdoor grills on site as well (eating out every night gets expensive!). We always come to the Garrison with someone from our extended family in tow, and the times and memories we've shared here have been great. The ownership staff is very accomodating and friendly (thanks Justin and Angela!). Book your stay and enjoy!

Room Tip: My room grade would have been rated Excellent, but the size of the cottage bathrooms are very small...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have always enjoyed the Maine coast, and vacation there several times during the summer.
My wife and I recently just jumped in the car and winged it ( no reservations)
We came across the Garrison Suites. Even before we pulled in the place looked amazing with a lovely view of the ocean and the flats.
The staff was great, friendly and always with a smile and a wave.
The rooms are comfortable, clean, and well kept,and the rates are very affordable,we even decided to stay a second night.
The garrison is close to everything you could possibly want or need, and is now going to be our new place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms and cabins have the same wonderful view of the ocean and are quiet. The Garrison offers s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I think this place is a gem. Our second floor suite was perfect for our leisurely getaway. Usually we are on-the-go, so a room is all we need (and we did stay in one of their motel rooms on a previous trip), but this visit we were more about taking our time and appreciated having the extra room to relax and the kitchen for light cheese/cracker/fruit suppers. We read on the balcony, and took advantage of the lawn chairs as well, pleasantly distracted by the view and birdsong! The grounds and pool are well-kept and the location is great...it's not far in either direction for restaurants, beaches, walking the Marginal Way, Laudholm Farm or the Rachel Carson center, visiting antiques stores, mini-golf, shopping, or ice cream! Office and staff we met were very friendly, and can take pride in offering a place for people to stay that is super clean and comfortable at a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor suite for views and shade on the balcony for morning or evening coffee.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple