“Wonderful weekend stay!”

and 1 more site!
The Garrison
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We just returned from a stay at The Garrison, and must say we were sad to leave. We had a great time at this comfortable and clean property. We stayed in a queen suite that more than exceeded our expectations (the pictures online didn't do it justice). The suite more than accommodated our needs. I was very happy to be located on the 2nd floor, as I enjoyed a beautiful view with my coffee in the morning! The location worked very well for us, as we seemed to be only a few minutes drive to everything we needed/wanted to do for the weekend. The staff were friendly and helpful, and they do a fantastic job at staying on top of the property and guest needs. While the property was busy, as every property is this time of year, we didn't experience any noise while in our room which was very much appreciated. The pool was perfect for us, especially as we only used it during the evenings after being at the beach during the day, so it was quiet. The only downside was that the internet signal was not always strong enough for my needs, but it was probably a good practice to get away from the computer for one weekend anyway! Overall, we had a terrific stay and will absolutely be back!

Room Tip: If you can, stay on the 2nd floor for the view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We had a queen suite and it was simply wonderful! It was very clean and more than enough room for up to six people. Complete with full kitchen and everything you need including a dishwasher. The staff was wonderful and the owners more than willing to make your stay memorable. Everyone was very courteous and professional always interested in our comfort and needs. The rooms were very clean, and most of all the views were breathtaking. with a great breakfast across the street at well known "Congdons" was exceptional. The best steak house in New England walking distance from your room, perfect location. I will be back as soon as I can!

Room Tip: Any room is nice!
1  Thank Norman B
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Wow, I find it hard to believe that my husband and I actually stayed at the same motel as Peterbilt13 and at the same time last week! Apparently, we had two very different experiences! I'm sorry we missed the frat party!

I do agree the noise level does increase around the pool area sometimes, whether it be from old friends getting together for a reunion or families with large groups of children, but we have always found it quiet in the evening and at night. This is a very busy and competitive summer resort area, so we expect a lot more activity. Frankly, it is rather a nice change from our quiet way of living In Florida during the rest of the year! In fact, we have made The Garrison our "home away from home" for the last several summers and hope to continue with our extended summer stay for a long time to come.

The views are beautiful, the rooms and grounds are spotless and very attractive, and the staff are the most pleasant, friendly and accommodating that we have encountered. The young owners, Angela and Justin, are two of the most pleasant, warm, caring, and endearing people we have met in our extensive travels. They have always done everything in their power to make our stay as comfortable as possible. We haven't always found this same level of caring elsewhere in our travels.

We most definitely recommend "The Garrison", whether it be for a short or extended stay.

Room Tip: "Upper suites are great for extended stays and beautiful views."
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Owners Justin and Angela keep this property spotless. They were very accommodating to their guests needs. Great family atmosphere as well as a couples get away. The property is located within walking distance of many restaurants. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank eastbostonmartha
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Try this place you will not be disappointed. Whether you prefer a single room for two or a fully equipped cottage for your family this is the place for you. Justin and Angela are the best owners I have ever come across. Very attentive to our needs, extremely clean, and very accommodating to their guests. If you see him on the property he will always stop to chat and give friendly advice and suggestions. We met many nice people at the pool and hope to see them again when we return next year.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We've stayed at the Garrison many times and have usually had a very enjoyable time, which is why we keep returning. The rooms are clean, rates reasonable and the location is perfect for our needs.

Unfortunately, three things happened that kept this from being a great visit. The first was minor...after being gone for 4 hours our room had not been cleaned in spite of leaving a "housekeeping request" on the door. A disappointment for my partner who was looking forward to a vacation snooze in a cool room.

The second thing was more annoying. There was a group of 9 women who felt the pool was their private party venue. I was the only guest at the pool when they encamped with booze, coolers, inflatable toys, a boom box playing full blast and using loud, vulgar language. Unable to enjoy a leisurely swim or a peaceful spot in the sun, I returned to our room. In the past the Garrison has been a wonderful place to relax, enjoy the pool and the beautiful view of the Rachel Carson preserve. Not this time, it was more like a party at a frat house.

When I checked out the next day Angela, one of the new owners, asked about our stay. I told her what had occurred. Her response was more upsetting that the two incidents. Angela told me that they don't guarantee a specific time that rooms will be cleaned. Which I took to mean that you pay only to sleep here, not use of the room during the day. Evidently I was also wrong for not complaining to the person at the front desk about the pool incident when it occurred. Angela said the desk person would have spoken to the party gals, after which I'm sure they would have welcomed me back to the pool area after realizing I was the reason for their party was ended.

The pool is in close proximity to the office which makes it difficult to believe the front desk person couldn't hear the frat party and didn't intervene to enforce their rules without a guest "complaining."

The final and most important issue that contributed to a less than pleasant stay at the Garrison was Angela's responses to a long-time customer's complaint.

4  Thank Peterbilt13
GMGarrison, Owner at The Garrison, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Renee,
Our housekeepers work very, very, hard and like every other hotel we have them clean checkouts first. This is the most efficient method of doing business as we have a 2 PM check in. They have a very limited amount of time to "flip"rooms. Unfortunately you found this inconvenient.
I have just looked at the housekeeping hours from the day you were inconvenienced and housekeeping left for the day around 2:30. Not sure what time you were expecting them to service your room.
Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what time our guests will be coming back to the hotel for naps.
The pool area is open to all of our guests. We wish you would have come to the desk with your complaints about the pool area and if things were indeed out of hand we could have addressed it.
Upon your complaints at checkout I asked some other guests (in private) that I knew to be at the pool on the day in question if the ladies (group of school teachers on vacation) you were speaking of were a problem.
They went in the complete opposite direction of you. They raved about them and in fact many of them joined them for a barbecue that same night at our grill area.
I am sorry if they did not invite you to this.
The great thing about our pool area is that many of our regular guests meet each other there and form life long friendships. Many times they plan their annual trips to the Garrison to coincide with those of their new friends.
Unfortunately you were not able to partake in this spirit.
We try very hard to satisfy every guest that walks onto our property and I think all of our other reviews in the past year speak to this.
We will stand by all of those.
Regards,
Justin Gagnon
The Garrison

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have stayed at the Garrison several times over the past ten years and it continues to exceed our standards. It has always been fantastically clean and maintained. I have noticed several improvements over the years. The staff are all very nice. Two of us shared an efficiency room which was roomy and comfortable, and at $165 a night was quite reasonable for July. It has a nice pool too. I would recommend the Garrison for your Wells vacation!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family