“Mixed feelings”

Drake's Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Speciality Lodging in Wells
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The cottage was very clean. We were there for a wedding and the owners went out of their way to accommodate the bride and groom. It was a super friendly atmosphere but noisy from one of the campers below our cottage. The room set up was a bit odd and the blinds to the patio door didn't close all the way leaving you with a feeling that you were being watched while you were sleeping. The children's room had no air conditioner and was impossible to cool down. I found it very odd that they did not at least do fresh towels each day and they expected you to clean the place before you left. Also, bring ear plugs because the train is not far away and goes by a couple of times during the night and the whistle sounds like a sick cow dying . Had the wedding party not requested we stay here, we would have stayed at Lafayette's Ocean Front.

Room Tip: take a cottage, the rooms are not well insulated and noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MPC773
Shelli L, Owner at Drake's Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

I am so sorry that you had mixed feelings staying with us. We strive to make sure all our guest are comfortable and enjoy their stay. I would like to address your concerns about your stay and say thank you for your information so that we can strive to make these changes now that we know about them.

The policy regarding daily maid service is because we are pet friendly and for the safety of our 4 legged guest we do not enter any units. We would not want to disturb or take the chance of any pet getting out of the cottage. We offer at 9 am every morning for our guests to come to the office and exchange your towels for the following days.
The cleaning request is asking our guest to not leave dishes, glasses and utensils dirty in the sink and we provide vacuums for your convenience during your stay.
I wish I had know about the back bedroom being hot for the children, I would tried to correct that for you. This is the first time we have been told that the back bedroom gets hot, we will look at getting a small air conditioner for one of the windows in that bedroom .
We have never received a complaint regarding the vertical blinds on the slider doors. I guess that is because this cottage faces the woods with nothing else around it, I will be changing these to curtains in the future.
Regarding the camper that was noisy on Saturday night, this was due to a Birthday celebration and they were all done by 10:00pm as I was by the pool area as the wedding party was still swimming and gathering around .
The train noise, I am sorry that bothered you, unfortunately there is nothing I am able to correct with this
Again I am very sorry that you had a bad experience and I realize that if you did not have 5 people you would have stayed else where.
Shelli

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Our family stayed for a week in this very clean, relaxed and very friendly resort. We loved the convenience to the beach, shops and eateries in the area, and also appreciated having the beach bus available. We also loved the convenience of having the coffee shop and deli on site, for a quick cup and sandwich on the way to the beach, all at a reasonable, affordable price!

Room Tip: The cottages let your family spread out a bit, with screened in porches and dining spaces.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Such a well kept place and the people that own and run it go out of there way to make it a great place to stay . Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a place to stay . It is located in wells and very convenient to stores and restaurants. There son Bruce who works there goes out of his way to make it a great place to stay .

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Drake Island Resort turned out to be surprisingly enjoyable. The motels, cabins, and campgrounds were in impeccable shape.
The swimming pool was very nice and relaxing. We stayed in one of the motel rooms. My husband and I have been going to this area for years and have stayed in many places in the area. I can say that Drake Island Resort was clean and affordable.
The people were very pleasant. We had a wonderful stay and hope to rent one of their cottages next year.
Denise

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I spent three days at Drake's island resort last week with my daughter.
Very welcoming owner, nice and clean, quiet, close to the beach thanks to
the beach bus available to customers, nice swimming pool, small restaurant
on site useful for morning coffee.
I do recommend this nice and charming motel.
Thanks again.
Mario

Room Tip: motels rooms, cottages and camping lots available
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

If you're looking to stay in a great location, a clean place for a reasonable rate, Drake's Island Resort in Wells, Maine is the place to stay. Whether you're a family, a couple, traveling alone or with friends, it doesn't matter, Shelli and Bob Lachance, the owners, welcome everyone and treat you like family. I highly recommend staying here. There's a beautiful pool area and picnic area and a beautiful campground. There's also a small store conveniently located on the property that serves delicious breakfast sandwiches and great coffee as well as luncheon sandwiches. The Drake's Island Resort is minutes away from Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. They are also on the trolley route if you decide you don't want to drive to the beach in Wells. There is also transportation provided by Drake's Island Resort if you wish to go to the Drake's Island beach. There are several restaurants that are walking distance from the motel which is another plus. I cannot say enough about Drake's Island Resort. I've been going for the past 4 years and I have always had a positive experience.

Room Tip: Every room has been good. I have no complaints.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank spunky1978
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Girls weekend get away. Adorable clean motel ,cottages and campground. Family oriented owners very welcoming and treat you like family. Salt water pool refreshing, Camp store great coffee, breakfast and sandwiches. Will certainly recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Shelli L, Owner at Drake's Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We hope to see you again!
Shelli