“Excellent food; staff went above and beyond”

Varano's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 71 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Newbury, New Hampshire
“Excellent food; staff went above and beyond”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Love Italian food, both here and in Italy. Have not ever been disappointed by the authenticity of Varano's food. Absolutely fresh seafood, with on-target seasoning of sauces. The fresh bread with fresh chopped garlic in good olive oil for dipping--perfect way to begin a meal. Just a few hundred yards from the ocean, so stop to breathe the salt air before going in.
I visited for the 3rd or 4th time in May 2014 with 6 other women (we were at a conference nearby). One of our party left her headlights on by mistake. The wait staff found us and alerted us, but it was too late. Dead battery. One of the owners walked out with us, jumper cables in hand, and connected my car to my colleague's and got us on our way. That's service above and beyond!
My only complaint about the restaurant is the noise level. For a large party at a big round table, it was a bit distracting to hear so much background noise as we tried to talk.
The margarita I ordered in honor of Cinco de Maio was rather weak, but maybe they did that on purpose recognizing us as somewhat older ladies, not the Cinco de Maio party crowd.

• Visited May 2014

Valatie
“Good food good service!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Our waitress Mandie directed us in good choices for our meals, wine and desserts. With her help we enjoyed our evening of dinning and We relaxed and enjoyed our evening.

Visited May 2014
Thank Larry and Karen... M
Lowell, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Damn Good Italian/Sicilian Food”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We went to Varano's last month for the first time, being Sicilian myself I tend to be a bit hesitant dining at an Italian restaurant when outside a major metropolitan area. We had Brian as our waiter and he had recommended some dishes to us based on our likes especially if you like veal. Well he was spot on with his recommendations and Varano's cannoli's for desert are to die for!. Last night was our third visit in six weeks and we will be DEFINITELY dining there next month when we staying in Wells Maine.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Joseph T
Gorham, Maine
“Great again and again!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Our favorite Italian restaurant in Maine! Although it's a 45 minute drive from our home, we don't hesitate to take the trip often. We have NEVER been disappointed! Whether we choose to dine in the lower bar with our favorite bartender Charlie or have cocktails below with him and dine in the main dining room with Brian as our waiter, the entire experience is always A+++. The menu consists of a great variety of choices, although my personal favorite is the Veal Parmesan, you can't go wrong with ant choice. While I choose to mention Charlie and Brian specifically, I must also say the ENTIRE staff makes each of our experiences at Varano's fantastic. Whether you are visiting Maine for pleasure or business or are a resident, Varano's is a must!

• Visited April 2014
Marlborough, Massachusetts
“A bit overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We decided to head to Varano's during a recent visit to Wells. We had been there several years ago but forgot how expensive it is. The hostess was very friendly, but the waitress did not seem to be too engaged about waiting on tables the evening we were there. The sauce is mediocre, not too much flavor. They had some gluten free options which was good, but again not much flavor, I had the primavera and my husband had lasagna which he thought was ok. The gnocchi was good as was the pasta bake. With most items on the menu over $23 including some bread with your meal, we will find some other places for dinner during our next visit.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank peaceful_jc

Been to Varano's Italian Restaurant? Share your experiences!