“lunch hearty”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Whole belly clams in the fried lunch special and the one + 1/8 pound lobster special was ample to the point of taking a while to eat. Visited on a Monday afternoon after 1 pm and no line.

1  Thank Mary L

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Recommended by the Hampton Inn owner so we went there the first night in town - and the 3rd night - and the last night! We had the baked haddock in casserole, this was to die for! Also tried the fried scallops and these were the biggest I have ever seen - cooked to perfection! Baked scallops were equally good and finished our trip with the seafood platter. This was piled high and tasted great. The atmosphere was casual, friendly and just a joy to be at. We will definitely return when in Wells.

1  Thank ocean0808cruiser
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We regretted this choice the moment the orders arrived. Sad, sad, sad. And we were surprised the place was so busy, with dozens of positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Be prepared to wait at least 20 minutes for a table, even at 8:00pm.

If you love deep fried food, with everything on your plate coming out the same beige colour, then I guess this place is for you. This was our first, and worst meal in a week's stay in the Wells/Ogunquit area. I tried the fried clams, placing my order with a "when in Rome" attitude. My wife had the grilled swordfish, and my kids had what could only be called factory-production kids meals.

If the kids mac 'n' cheese is not Kraft Dinner, it is an exact imitation. Terrible looking wings, and ribs for the kids as well. When my food arrived it was dripping in grease. One bite of the fried clams was like biting into a piece of gum with juice in the middle. My mouth washed in oil, with a gritty earthy tasting clam in there. Truly awful.

Maybe this was just not the place for us. It is certainly busy, which is usually a sign of something good. In any case, consider this a counter balanced review to the other positive ones: almost everything is fried, and it is mass produced, which in this case meant bland, oily, and fatty food. There are many, many better options in the area.

4  Thank Batterie5
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We dined here a handful of times in the past and werent impressed, decided to give it another try. The service was not good the food was worse. I was served a salad and the lettuce consisted of the core of a head of lettuce and limp pale green lettuce. When the waitress returned she asked if there was a problem with my salad ? I advised her that it was made from the stuff that I throw away and I was informed other customers were eating the same stuff with no problem. My seafood platter was covered with Onion Rings and when she put the dish in front of me, I said I didnt order Onion rings and I was told that was how the meal came. The fried food was not hot and over cooked. We wont be giving this place another shot anytime soon. We will go where we know we will get a good meal.

1  Thank Mainegirl09
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Truly enjoyed this meal. Lobster stew is the best of the area. Broiled fish was also great. Service was excellent

2  Thank 958pbelanger

Been to Mike's Clam Shack? Share your experiences!