“Snow, Ocean, Seagulls”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wells
Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Peterborough, New Hampshire
“Snow, Ocean, Seagulls”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

What a great spot for a mid winter retreat to the ocean. We drove up the coast from NH with no particular destination in mind. We did know, however, that we wanted to wake up in the morning looking out at the ocean. We found it. We "splurged" for the top floor of the "deluxe" building at $99 plus tax. The room was cozy and clean with a fridge and microwave. The balcony hung right over the beach. Just what we wanted. The walls were thin and we could easily hear normal conversations from our neighbors. It would have been tough to sleep if we had loud neighbors and I was a bit disappointed that we were in a room right next to someone else when there couldn't have been more than four rooms booked in our building. Overall, a great place to get away.

Room Tip: The Lafayette is a hodgepodge of buildings. The "deluxe" building was far from deluxe in m...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mooselookmeguntic
megciamomwells, Public Relations Manager at Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay with us. The Deluxe building is a long-standing name for that building. It is just its name, as it is one of our oceanfront buildings with the oldest décor. We have however recently retiled the floor, put new drapes, new bedding and new TV’s in these rooms. A majority of our other oceanfront rooms have been completely remodeled. We look forward to hosting your future winter retreats!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Westfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My husband and I have been coming to the Layafette Oceanfront Resort since we were married 10 years ago. We go for a winter getaway. One or two times each year. We absoutely love it. The room are comfortable and clean. We always ask for the same room if it is available. The first time we took our daughter she was 2 weeks old. Now she also enjoyes the indoor heated pool. We also like to borrow games from the front desk. Only place I have ever stayed that have fans in the room!! Great place for the whole family.

Room Tip: We like the first floor so we can walk out the door for a winter walk on the beach.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
megciamomwells, Guest Relations Manager at Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at Lafayette’s Oceanfront Resort. Despite the “Frozen Tundra” stereotype of Maine, it is very beautiful and peaceful during the winter months. We look forward to hosting your future getaways to the Maine Coast.
Stoneham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 November 2012

As a child my mom took us when it was 'Driftwoods', and I took my twins there too. I am a a single mother and did not have a car at the time so we took Amtrak and got a cab or trolley from the station. We stayed in the least expensive building. There was no oceanview but it was clean and big enough with lots of storage space. Although the hotel may seem alot of money, you will not find a better deal considering the beachfront location at least in sourthern Maine. The indoor pool and sauna are immaculate which counts for a great deal too. The original building has a wonderful deck, and I would watch the kids from there with my binoculars! I always put them in identical flourescent bathing suits so they would stand out. They loved running on the beach, the tide pools, finding those elusive sand dollars, flying kites and on and on. The indoor pool is a good size. The hot tub is one of the nicest I've ever seen. It is landcaped and could probably fit about 18 adults! There is a waterfall, at night it is lit up, and you can have 'fog' rise up if you push the right button. They have board games at the front desk you can borrow. The staff is nice and attentive if you like. They operate in a laissez faire manner and don't bother you. The hotel area is arranged in a sort of horseshoe. You are able to walk around any traffic. There is a gift shop, candy and ice cream store, penny arcade, etc. -- kid haven! I was able to let them go to some of these places by themselves (at 8 or 9) if they stayed together. We could take the trolley up the street to a reasonably priced supermarket where there was also a dollar store, pizza place, movie theater and other stores. You could even walk up 'Mile Road' to go there. Needless to say my girls loved the everything! We still go up on occasion even in the winter! When we talk about the past, the girls always say how much they loved the place and all the nice memories.

Room Tip: Ask when you make your reservation. There are trucks early in the morning bringing in supplies. Ro...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Easthampton102294
megciamomwells, General Manager at Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your special memories of Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort at Wells Beach. We love hearing about all of the special times that people have here while growing up. It is a special place and we enjoy sharing it with all of our guests.
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed at the Lafayette Oceanfront resort again this time and enjoyed the comfort and the friendly staff once again. Will always keep coming back. Our room had a small kitchen which made our evening chat and snack time easier. Room very clean and comfortable beds, thanks again and hope to see you all again in the spring. So close to the outlet shopping too.

Room Tip: If you want to hear the ocean waves as you fall asleep ask for a room on the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoy our rooms. We have many different types of rooms in order to accommodate all of the various needs of our guests. We have basic economy rooms, efficiency units with kitchens, rooms directly on the beach, others near the pool and cottages. We are looking forward to your next stay at Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort at Wells Beach.
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I was directed here from HW1 and the full Hampton Inn & Suites. As I only was looking for a bed for the night, I did properly appreciate the nice facilities like a big pool. The location is nice, overseeing the ocean. The rooms are however getting worn. I switched rooms due to excessive noise from a neighbouring room, but got a good night's sleep after that.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank taarhaug
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort at Wells Beach. We do have many different room types in order to accommodate all of the needs of our various travelers. We renovate rooms every year so be sure to ask for one of the renovated rooms when making your reservation. We also put pictures of every room on our website so that you will know exactly what you are reserving.
Tampa
Reviewed 26 October 2012

It was an enjoyable visit. We sat on the patio outside our room and enjoyed watching the tide come in unti the waves were breaking right at the edge of the patio, which is the edge of the seawall.
The facilities are well kept. If you prefer not to walk on the beach or jump in the cold North Atlantic Ocean, there is a large, indoor pool use. The surrounding area offers the amenities of the coast of Maine such as food, local artisians, and plenty of New England character.
When we are back in the area, we would try to stay here again.

Room Tip: If it is available, try to get a room that is directly on the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort at Wells Beach. This is a special place and many of our guests enjoy just sitting next to the beach and watching the ocean. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Wells Beach.
Morrisonville, NY
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed in the Deluxe building, directly on the water. I vacillated between rating the room 3 or 4 stars, and I'm still not sure if I rated it correctly.

The pros: Superb location -- tides were high when I visited, and seeing the waves hit the breakfront and then a few hours later be 200 yards out was quite awesome. Well appointed room -- the furniture wasn't beaten up; the room had two beds, a couch and easy chair, a fridge and a microwave, and what looked like a new large flatscreen TV. (More about that later.) The person who showed me the room said that the walls would be upgraded shortly. (There was some wood paneling, which frankly didn't bother me.) The price was reasonable for mid-October -- high season rates aren't that reasonable, but after all it is on the ocean.

The cons: First,I found the bed to be much too soft for me. Whether by design or hard use, it was enough to give me some lower back pain the next day. I'm sure that some people would be comfortable with this lack of support, but I wasn't. Second, there was a strange smell in the room -- when the fresh ocean breeze came through the sliders or window the air was quite wonderful. When they were closed, I became aware of a strange odor that at the time I couldn't identify. Somewhat unpleasant, kind of a plasticky acrid smell. I've since decided that the TV may have been new, which could lead to such an unusual smell.

So the two cons have led me to rate which would otherwise be a solid "Very Good" motel down to an "Average" motel, understanding that for someone who likes a soft bed and who visits after the funky smell has worn off the rating would certainly be higher.

Room Tip: Make sure you understand which building you'll be in and the difference in view and cost for eac...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank AdirondackBlue
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort at Wells Beach. I am so sorry that there was a funny smell in your room and that the bed was uncomfortable. We put 42 inch flat screen televisions in all of our oceanfront rooms a few years ago but it may be that they had to replace that one with a new one. We buy the top of the line Serta Perfect Sleepers which do have a pillow top. If a bed is uncomfortable, please let us know and we have new ones to replace it or we can insert a bed board to make it firmer. We are always striving to make sure that our guests have a good night's sleep so do not hesitate to let us try to make the bed better for you. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Wells Beach!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wells
Wells - Ogunquit Resort Motel & Cottages
Elmwood Resort Hotel
Elmwood Resort Hotel
#5 of 28 in Wells
Footbridge North Hotel

Been to Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!