“Alright for the price.”
Review of Tallwood Motel

Tallwood Motel
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Not extravagant, but okay motel for it's worth. Got blamed for some noise complaints that another tenant had (in which she left), when it turned out it was another group of people that was outside late at night and the owners assumed it was us since we were in close vicinity and age-group. The owners should get their facts straight before they point fingers at people. When discussing this with the owners, they were very rude and raised their voices (since they had just lost money to the tenants that left due to noise). We kept our side of the conversation calm and they could not do the same.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We had to cancel for a family emergency & were not charged any fee although they were entitled to.
We booked 2 weeks later and our room was CLEAN, FRESH, AND DELIGHTFUL. We had 2 queen beds and were a few steps from the swimming pool which we were able to make good use of. The family owned Motel is a friendly lovely place. We only experienced polite eager to please staff. Yes the shower was small but completely adequate. Other issues mentioned in the reviews I've read is incredible to me. We did request a non smoking and no pet room and that is what we received.
We will be returning to enjoy this hidden gem again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We had booked a room at another hotel late in the afternoon on line. When we got there, the owner had sold the last room before she received the fax. She recommended Tallwoods, but said she had never seen the rooms inside.
It was late in the day on a Thursday in August and we didn't think we could find another place.
We checked in, paid $84 with Visa, but I didn't get a receipt since I thought I could get one at check out.
We went to the room and noticed immediately how shabby it was and the slight odor, but thought it would be OK for one night. We immediately went out with our bikes and biked until sundown, had a couple of drinks and by time we went to bed, the office was closed with no phone number anywhere. No one answers the phone number on the website.
When we pulled the blankets back, the smell was overwhelming---it was CAT URINE! It was so bad, we slept in our car in front of the room. The sheets were threadbare!
In the morning, no one was there or answered the phone for us to complain.
When I called Visa, they told me I was charged twice. I told them that I don't want to even pay once after sleeping in my car!
DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING HERE, EVEN THOUGH IT LOOKS NICE FROM THE STREET!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Seapaddler
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Great find and VALUE! Hospitable attentive management. Loved having the inviting pool open until 10 at night. Quiet even though on Highway 1-- close to good food, beaches, nature preserve and shopping. Oh and a trolley as well.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank auntsue417
Reviewed 4 November 2010

My sister and I stayed here in August for 2 nights while we were tying up loose ends before my September wedding in Maine. I had stayed when it was under different ownership and, although it was a budget motel, it was clean and the owners were friendly.

When we checked in, I looked at the room and, although it wasn't the Ritz, it was clean and no bugs so we stayed. The pool was green so we couldn't use it but figured that we wouldn't have time anyway.

We stayed 2 nights. It wasn't that bad but I wouldn't stay there again because it had just gone downhill.

Then, 3 weeks ago, I got a surprise $179 charge on my card from Tallwood. Apparently, when we checked out they never "checked us out of the system", according to Adeel. I was charged $95 at the end of August and then, in mid October, I see another charge for $180 on my card. I called the office and spoke with Adeel who argued with me and threatened to hang up on me if I didn't stop talking. He did not believe me so I faxed over the statements to prove to him that I was over charged - never mind the fact that he charged the card without calling me to let me know that he had not charged the correct amount in August. He was supposed to have the charges reversed TWO WEEKS AGO and still nothing. And now, no answer when I call.

Unprofessional does not even begin to describe the owners of this motel. I wouldn't stay here for free. And now, I am going to start disputes with the credit card companies, a letter to the BBB, and to the Chamber of Commerce. What an ugly mark on a beautiful city.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank SarahP326
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Yes, you read it, bugs. Got bit twice by something in the middle of the night, and they were NOT mosquitos.

We were sent to this motel after our original motel was overbooked. Our previous motel got the confirmation for us and said that this place would honor our original price booked at the original motel. We really had no choice to stay at this place because we had arrived late at night, and everywhere else was booked over the holiday weekend.

The room was smelly, moldy-like, beds were crammed in, no lights in the closet area, no plugs to plug any accessories into, the remote on the tv was held together by duct tape, the toilet felt like an amusement ride, and the towels were so thin, they were worse than 1-ply toilet paper.

The guy who checked us in had no idea of where any maps were, or of telling us about any of the activities in the area. All he did was open the door to a dark garage and said, "have at any of the pamplets which someone else comes in and stocks".

To top off the stay, he charged us more than their own going rate for a nights stay. No wonder they were so happy to oblige in taking us off the hands of the other motel. I found this tidbit out when we got to our next destination , which actually had functioning wifi in the room.

The next morning, nobody was at the front desk to check us out so, like everyone else, we left the 1970s keys on the counter.

Awful!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank MuseofLife
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Tallwood Motel Wells was dirty, gross, and just bad.

You will get a dirty carpet, dingy screen door, bedbugs, and a crappy bed with stained sheets.

Oh, and moldy pretzels underneath the bed.

good luck !!! GROSS!!