“Huge Mistake”

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Boston, Massachusetts
“Huge Mistake”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I booked the trip through expedia, where there were no guest reviews so I had no idea what I was in for. The pictures on the website seemed nice, but when we got to our room I wanted to cry. It had a terrible smell, there were bugs and mosquitoes flying around the room, spider webs in the shower, and in the 15 minutes we were actually there the toilet must have ran 4 times without either one of us going near the bathroom (which does not even have a real door, but a sliding one that does not give the best privacy). We didn't want to touch anything because the whole place felt dirty. We didn't bother bringing our bags into our room, we got right back in the car and found another hotel with vacancy. They will not refund your money, so I ended up spending quite a bit more on my trip than I had anticipated, but it was worth it to get out of there. Neither of us could have spent a night there. The only good part was there was a nice sized swimming pool, but that was overshadowed by the poor condition of the room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bostongirl513

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
North Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We checked into our room which was a cabin with a full size bed. When we got into the room it was disgusting! The room was full of spider webs with spiders in them (not one web, but the whole ceiling of the room was covered in spiders nests, the shower had mildew and pubic hairs on the wall and on the shower curtain, there was hair on the pillowcase when we pulled back the bedspread, the microwave had egg dried on the plate, the mini fridge had mold all over the rubber seal and was dirty inside. The drawer with the extra blanket in it had mildew in the drawer. This was the worst place that i have ever seen. I went to the front desk to check out and the owner told me that he would be charging my credit card, to this I informed him that "no you are not" and we were checking out. His response was what do you expect for the price? I would not allow my dog to sleep there. We left there and were lucky enough to find a room at the Nautical Mile Resort which is just up the street, which was very nice and clean and very reasonably priced. The owner did call me later on to tell me there would be no charge to my card. Probably because I showed him the pictures that I took that I would be showing to my credit card company as to why we canceled the room!
hydeparklisa@yahoo.com

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hydeparklisa

Travellers are raving about these Wells hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 July 2010

My fiance and I have stayed here a couple times with a young baby and our 2 dogs. There is a nice yard for the pets and the hotel is pet friendly for a fee which is hard to come by. The rooms are very clean and there is a pool that is likely to be the largest I have seen in the area.

All the staff that we have encounered during our times here have been nothing but pleasant and helpful. We would most definitely stay here again and would definitely recommend others who are looking for a great place to stay that is central to everything, and also economically priced to look no further than the Tallwood Motel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Terregale
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Tallwood is a wonderful quaint hotel that is family owned and operated. It has beautiful rooms that are clean and well planned. The bathrooms are vintage style and large. The best part of about Tallwood is the family that owns it and the staff they have. You could not be in a better location. There is a small playground and an outdoor pool. This is a wonderful no frills kind of family hotel. Your stay is be well worth it!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank amyerodri100
Belmont, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 May 2010

This was our forth spring vacation in Wells and our first time at the Tallwood motel. We stayed for 3 nights, starting May 7th and absolutely loved it. We got a king room with a nice table to eat our breakfast . The room had big picture window with a nice view of the whole property. WiFi was a good bonus and so was the free coffee in the morning with friendly service. Only thing I disliked was the lack of hot water for the first 4 hours but as we checked out I was told that the boiler had a problem and we were given 10% off for all 3 nights.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Stayed at Tallwood for one night in peak season. Rate of $89 for 2 beds seemed decent. Definitely no more than 2*s. Room was OK in size (not large, not small), with a frig and a microwave (nice touch) but had a mildew smell that was very off-putting. Inquired about other rooms and none with 2 beds was available (most motels in area were sold out). Air conditioner was a bit noisy but room was quiet, even though our room was closest to the highway. Wifi was very spotty and slow, but worked. The best think about Tallwood is the Proprietor, who was VERY nice--in the morning when the free coffee ran out, he went into his apt. (adjacent to the check in area) and brought us his fresh--brewed pot of coffee--very nice!
Odd to note that the garage adjacent to the check-in area is used as a tourist information area with visitor brochures, but most of the tourist information provided was outdated--in some cases by a year or two. For instance, the trolley schedule (to Wells Beach and Ogunquit) hanging up was from 2007, so we weren't sure what the schedule was or where to pick it up. Someone should clean it out and update the info.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank rmwhitt
NY
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We just got home this morning from our stay at Tallwood.
The staff/owner was super friendly. We had a reservation for a non-smoking king room and before we arrived, there was a problem with the water. They tried to contact us, and we had already left home. When we got there, they explained the problem and offered us two choices for another room. We took the smoking king room. They offered us 10% discount because of our inconvenience.
The room was clean, freshly painted, and nicely furnished with a table and comfy chairs, mini fridge, and microwave. The pool looked nice as did the grounds. There is a game room which came in handy..the weather prevented us from using the pool, but we still had something to do.
We could walk to the gift shops, restaurants, ice cream parlors, and the trolley stop within 5 minutes.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple