“A real treat in Billy's new restaurant.”

Hobbs Harborside Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 71 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in picturesque Wells Harbor in Wells, Maine, Hobbs Harborside offers something for everyone. From classic fried clams to a complete Maine lobster dinner, you and your guests will find a classic New England dish you love. Pull up a stool at our bar or take a seat in our casual dining room and take in the amazing views of the working harbor as you enjoy some good conversation and great food! Sorry, but no parties larger than 10 can be seated at the same table!
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We live locally so we waited a while before going to Hobbs. Some kinks needed to be ironed out. So tonight we went and we were not disappointed that we'd gone there for dinner. My wife had the boiled sea scallops with crumbs(Billy's favorite) while I had the broiled haddock. Both dishes came with roasted potatoes and mixed vegetables. We were both extremely happy with our meals and look forward to returning for another dinner.

1  Thank polarbear1000

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

What a gem! Awesome view! Great food too! Our waitress was great too! People need to keep going when on the way the the other seafood place! Right on the water! Loved it!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We thought we were going to "Lord's". We have gone there for over40 years. Usually you can't get in the parking lot but when we pulled in we wondered what happened. Opened the door and what an amazing transformation inside. So much more open and tables not as crowded together. Beautiful bar with blue lights when you walk in. Very pleasant staff. A few of the oldies from Lord's. Still that great water view.

Three of us dined there. Our daughter and I had Scallops/Veggies. The food was excellent, however, the portion was small compared to what we were used to. Only 4 scallops and the veggie portion small. She also had Lobster stew for an appetizer, great portion and delicious. We had house salad, small portion. My husband had the Halibut but unfortunately it was not to his liking. I also tried it and didn't care for it. The service was excellent.

We really liked the new atmosphere and the new rest rooms.

They need to work on their portion sizes for the price you pay. Other than that, great job.

1  Thank Jane G
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family has been vacationing in southern Maine in the summer time since I was a child in the late 1970s. We have enjoyed a lot of great restaurants here. This year, my Mom read about Hobbs Harborside, which was opened by the original owner of Billy's Chowderhouse, a local institution. Last night, we all had dinner at Hobbs, which opened last month, and it was a wonderful experience... so great, in fact, that we are going back tonight!

First of all, the food was delicious. It's a traditional menu, with a lot of great Maine seafood and some nice beef and chicken items too. But what sets it apart are the freshness of everything, as well as the fresh touches to the recipes. I had a traditional Maine lobster dinner, which was the best lobster I've ever had. It was so fresh, it was buttery all on its own, and didn't need the melted butter they provided with this dish. There were heaping soup spoons full of fresh clams in the clam chowder I ordered as an appetizer. Lest you think I lucked out with a serving from the bottom of the soup pot, all but one of us ordered this as an appetizer, and everyone had the same helping of clams! Mom ordered the seafood chowder, and her soup was equally hearty, with much fresh fish and shellfish. She also had a delicious broiled fish, Dad had plump, juicy fried clams, and my husband had some beefy ribs and fried haddock so fresh it fell apart as he touched it with his fork. Our son had the fried seafood sampler, which really put a smile on his face.

The service was consistently friendly, helpful and hospitable throughout the evening. The restaurant itself is painted a soft blue and white inside, which makes it feel airy and beach-y. The harbor views from the large windows that surround the dining room are spectacular. The parking is plentiful, with a nice large lot, which is unusual in this area.

We can't wait to go back tonight!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Billy Hobbs, founder of the iconic Billy's Chowder House in Wells, ME which he sold in 1990, is back and has taken over the former Lord's Harborside Restaurant. It's now Hobbs Harborside Restaurant which has been beautifully renovated. We went for dinner twice last week having wonderful seafood diners along with excellent, attentive service. I had a 1 1/4 lb.(more like 1 1/2 lb.) tasty lobster dinner with corn on the cobb, cole slaw, rice pilaf and rolls for just $19.95. (elsewhere $24.95 - $28.95). The newly remodeled dining room was very relaxing, despite being packed, offering sweeping views of Wells Harbor and the marshlands. And .. there was Billy himself greeting and seating guests, working with the waits staff clearing and moving tables, etc. The beautiful new bar is the hull and deck of a sailboat ! Great value, lots of creative specials, excellent food quality and nice wine list. Open only three weeks, this is a winner. Great fun. Enjoy.

1  Thank RJ2012Milton_Vermont

Been to Hobbs Harborside Restaurant? Share your experiences!