“A 60th wedding anniversary”

Billy's Chowder House
Ranked #10 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Thank you to Billy's Chowder House for making my parent's 60th anniversary so special. Eighteen of us had dinner at Billy's and all raved about the meal! We all ordered off the menu and our waitress, Miranda, was terrific and so efficient. Thanks to Chris for helping me organize this event over the phone. We will certainly be back next year! This is our favorite place for both a light snack and a great seafood meal!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Billy’s is well known to me and my family as we have spent a lot of time in Wells. It is always a place we go and we do like it in the “off-season” better as it is easier to get in and out of, easier to just sit right down. This past weekend we had a family party there with 22 people, and it was wonderful. The Seafood is good, the local craft beer is their own, and very good. You can not beat the view of the marsh – and our favorite is to sit right at the bar. I recommend this for all ages, all families. It is a very reasonable way to get a taste of Maine!

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Billy's is consistently consistent. I only ever go off-season, but the service is always mediocre and the chowder acceptable. This year, we so split a huge salad and some remarkably fresh and tasty fish and chips. Generally, I'm a steamers-in-Maine kind if girl, but l choose Billy's when I want a simpler dinner.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Went to Billy's on a recommendation and was slightly disappointed. Enjoyed the clam chowder. Ordered the baked stuffed lobster, it came to the table cool, stuffing was mushy and lacked any real taste. Baked potato was good though. For the steep price I didn't feel it was worth it. Had Maine blueberry ice cream which was good. Waitress could have visited the table after we started out entrees, maybe the baked lobster could have been corrected. Service wasn't as attentive as I would have liked, needed more drinks and was unable to order before the end of service.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

By the time we ate at Billy's chowder house, we were 5 days into our New England trip. So we had already dined on Chowder and lobster in Boston. Billy's chowder is by far the best. Huge pieces of clams in a delicate chowder and not overly thick. Perfect, is my assessment. In fact, my husband refused to order chowder for the rest of the trip because he knew he would be disappointed! The lobster was cooked to perfection and the coleslaw was a great addition. Our waitress was so friendly, which added to the whole experience.