“Still the BEST chowder!”

Billy's Chowder House
Ranked #10 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I visit Maine several times a year and always go to Billy's Chowder House. I love the clam chowder because it isn't full of "thickeners" and it tastes great and always has a few whole clams and full of chopped clams and potatoes.....the BEST! My friend and I also love the fried scallops, full bellied fried clams, steamers, fish sandwich, and seafood platters....the batter on the fried meals is very light and the cole slaw is not vinegary! We love sitting in the bar area....light, bright, just fun to be there....and have a Bloody Mary and Pomegranate Martini! Almost always great mixed drinks....ALWAYS a great Bloody Mary! The wait staff is always so friendly, kind and accommodating, and Christopher always either comes to the table when I have a question or answers my emails when I send an email! The dining area is clean and if a guest happens to drop food on the floor, the wait staff is very quick to push a carpet sweeper to keep it clean. The staff at the desk when entering and leaving is very warm and pleasant. One of my Ogunquit/Wells Favorite places to go!!!

1  Thank charliesmow

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was our first visit to Billy's and if you are staying or living in our Wells, Maine you HAVE to go there! Not only is the seafood cooked to perfection, the view is great as it overlooks a nature reserve. I'm a nature nerd and loved the view.

The Clam Chowder is AMAZING as are the lobster rolls made just they way they should be. Pure lobster meat, not fooled around with, with a little bit of mayo on a toasted hot dog bun. DELICIOUS! The seafood we had was cooked perfectly, not cooked or breaded to death! They really know what they are doing with seafood at Billy's!

They offer all kinds of seafood as well as some great non-seafood sandwiches and choices.

The service was great with a very nice wait staff.

KUDOS all around to Billy's and we can't wait to go back on our next trip to Wells. We even took home containers of their chowder to enjoy on our ride home back to New York State!

1  Thank JennaS75
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We love Billy's! The restaurant has been there since the beginning of time and remains a beach favorite.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

If you are anywhere within a hundred miles of this place you have to try it. My wife had the lobster stew and I had the clam chowder along with a dozen raw oysters. Super fantastic!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Thank you to Billy's Chowder House for making my parent's 60th anniversary so special. Eighteen of us had dinner at Billy's and all raved about the meal! We all ordered off the menu and our waitress, Miranda, was terrific and so efficient. Thanks to Chris for helping me organize this event over the phone. We will certainly be back next year! This is our favorite place for both a light snack and a great seafood meal!