“First time back in 10 years. Will be back next year. ”

Billy's Chowder House
Ranked #10 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We have been vacationing in Wells Beach for the past 20 years and avoided this place for the past 10 years or so....for no particular reason.

Wanting something "new" we haven't tried in a while, we stopped by this "other" Billy's (vs the more well known Billy's in Perkins Cove)
I must admit, we went in with low expectations, but we left very impressed.

The chowders, both fish and clam, were quite excellent. It's not the thick, clam juice-ish type you get at Legal Seafood, but a brothy, creamy soup was refreshing. The rest of the dinner (steamed lobster) was reasonable, if not watery. The service was friendly and efficient.

The only direct comparison vs the Billy's in Ogunquit I can make is the rum punch--No comparison. Billy's in Ogunquit wins by a mile.

There are newer reviews for Billy's Chowder House

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The restaurant temperature was cold this year but the chowder is so good and I brought home two quarts in a cooler to share. I've been there before and brought home the chowder in the past as well. I really like the milky broth and the BIG clams in the chowder.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Thanks Chris Varano - for the special Lobster Rolls made with love! Billy's Chowder House is on our Favorites list at the Seahorse Resort. Yesterday, we were treated to lobster rolls and hot French fries!! Last week we treated ourselves to lobster chowder which in our opinion is the best in New England. We can't help it, we love it and eat there at least once a week.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We arrived at almost 9 for dinner traveling with children and there was a 20 min wait, we reviewed the menu while waiting and were able to order right when we sat down and it came super fast and everything was good, and it arrived very quickly. Service was good. Not amazing, but all bases covered and we were grateful for a fast hot meal after traveling.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stopped by on our way home from a Boothbay Harbor getaway. Seated by the marsh water view. Jessica was our waitress and was very attentive. My husband order clam chowder, was terrific, made the proper "New England style", with a milky not thick broth. Loaded with clams. Next he ordered oysters which are $1 a piece on Wednesdays and were also fabulous. Drinks were tall and delicious. I order a crab roll (I was suffering from lobster-overload) and my husband ordered fried clams. He said the clams were the best he had had in a long time, my crab roll was packed and also very good. Great service, great value and nice location.