“Great memories and fun times with friends at the Elms! Thank you!”
Review of The Elms

The Elms
Ranked #1 of 1 Westbrook B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Loved this B&B! My boyfriend and I stayed here for a friends birthday party and we had a fabulous time. The building has all sorts of interesting design and architecture, which was appealing to both of us. We stayed in the "Bear Den" room 3, which was a lot more spacious than the photo on the site would indicate. It has a shared bath, but this wasn't an issue at all for us. The biggest perk was the hot tub on the deck, what fun!

The best service was at breakfast, when we stumbled downstairs a full hour past the scheduled breakfast time, assuming we would just grab some coffee and go since we're both vegan, but Matt was there to greet us and then proceeded to prepare a delicious vegan breakfast for us on the spot! Wonderful!

Room Tip: Call to ask which rooms have private baths if you want to know, it's not listed on the website.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BiduTraveler

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Sadly, it's the bad and the ugly that first comes to mind. No-one around to greet us upon arrival (3 o'clock) in the afternoon, just an envelope left on the hall table. We wandered around in this huge house and there was nothing to make us feel like valued guests. The place is in desperate need of love and attention - wood rotting all around the outside. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the location, right across from the Sappi Paper Mill. Thank goodness for the good - our room on the 1st floor, was doused in sunlight and overlooked the River. It was cavernous and the furniture looked lost in it. The mattress did not fit the base of the bed (mattress was smaller). The en-suite bathroom was large too and could have done with a small table for the wash bags etc. The shower was great and at least the innkeeper had put the heating on (there was a chill in the air) during early morning use. Matt the innkeeper was, once we met him, very chatty and friendly. Breakfast was delicious, however, we'd prefer to be told what we're getting and not just have it served up….it's embarrassing if you don't eat what's served. The web site for this B & B is totally misleading, no way is it 'located just 10 minutes from the center of historic Portland, Maine attractions. Just minutes from lighthouses, Beaches, Lakes, Islands, the Old Port, Theater, art galleries, lobster dinners and more'. Overall, it was a very disappointing stay and we were glad we were only there for 1 night

Room Tip: Unless you're doing business with Sappi, don't bother
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McAdamSouthAfrica
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Elms B&B website is completely misleading: the house is on a very busy street in an industrial suburb of Portland, Maine, home to Sappi Ltd.'s Westbrook Paper Mill and R&D Center, which happens to be directly across the street. The paper mill is huge, smelly, and noisy, and conveniently not mentioned in any of the descriptions of the B&B. The town of Westbrook, where the The Elms is, has no charm to speak of and is certainly more than a few minutes from "lighthouses, Beaches, Lakes, Islands, the Old Port, Theater, art galleries, lobster dinners and more." The innkeeper, who had been asleep somewhere when we rang the doorbell and eventually let ourselves in, finally appeared and suggested that we park around the back of the house because the neighborhood wasn't that good. A less charming setting would be difficult to imagine, and the fact that no mention is made of that on the website, nor do any of the pictures show the true situation, in my view, borders on deception.

The interior of the house is dark except for the rooms on the river side, and the standards of cleanliness leave much to be desired; for example, the glass covering the top of the dresser was smudged enough to write your name on, and the hot water dispenser in the dining room was filthy on the outside--presumably the water inside was clean. Whereas the room we stayed in was spacious, the mattress on the bed did not even fill the frame, which, itself, was probably a double. Amenities in the bathroom included a stack of plastic cups in a basket on the back of the toilet along with an extra roll of toilet paper, a small sewing kit, and a rusty can of air freshener. Soap, shampoo, and conditioner were in dispensers in the shower, such as you might find in a $65-a-night highway motel. Some of the towels were frayed.

As for breakfast, the food was adequate, but despite the trumpeting of Lenox (misspelled on the website) china, the tablecloth was paper. Luxury? Not in my book. The pantry, as far as we could tell, was a few jars with miniature-size Snickers and Mars Bars. Keys are left in an envelope on a table in the front room, and it is difficult to find anyone to explain anything or give helpful information about directions, etc. And for all this we paid over $200 for a night. We could have stayed in many other places that would have been a huge improvement for that amount. Don't reward this type of deceptive advertising--find a nice place and pass The Elms by.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank almsafir
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

The Elms accommodated our last minute stay in Portland, and we felt that we lucked out. We were greeted by the friendly owner who offered snacks, restaurant recommendations, and a flashlight for a riverside stroll. The house was beautiful and clean. As mentioned, it's across from an active mill-more a factory than a charming New England mill. Riverside rooms are quiet.

Our room had to share a bathroom, but we never had to wait. It had two showers, no tub, but extra towels were available. We even got to use the hot tub after a long day of touring. Breakfast- waffles with fruit- was fine.

The Elma is on a bus line, but it still was a bit far from downtown for the carless. Luckily, the bus ran every thirty minutes, and it worked for us. We would stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisFromThePlains
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here because it was less than 1 mile from a family members house. We didn't see any employees the afternoon we checked in. I was glad that the door code had been sent to me in my confirmation email. I had booked the Cottage room which has twin beds. That room faces the water, which makes for a quieter room than those that face the mill. My spouse wasn't pleased that we had to share a bathroom across the hall. We also found out late the night we stayed there, that we had to meet up with our family early the next morning so we were going to miss breakfast. When we came down early the next day, the only person we saw was a woman who was setting up the dining room. She suggested that my husband make his coffee in the small coffee maker in the pantry. I turned it on, waited for the coffee to perk, but when nothing happened, I opened the top and there was no coffee in the filter! We did take some nibbles from the canisters which were in the pantry.

The room air conditioner was loud, but cooled the room. We couldn't find any unused outlets which were easy to get to (I didn't want to pull out furniture, crawl under desks, etc...), in order to charge my device.

I don't know if I would stay here again...

Room Tip: When booking a room, ask for the water side....
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

First impression is the large mill across the street. Never excepted that. Once I walked in that all disappeared. Large common areas, pool table butlers pantry, and hot tub on the porch. Our room was on the mill side of the building, with a shared bath, not what I prefer but felt like being in Europe. I understand that most B&B's are old homes, so that can happen. Breakfast was fun family style waffles with a blueberry and grande mariner syrup add by Matt, plus Maine maple syrup. Over all we will be back for a stay cation and to house my guests that won't fit in my house.

Room Tip: Call to see which rooms have privet baths. Ask for a bath robe.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bob W
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Dirty windows and significant dust on the window frames greeted me upon arriival which I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't needed to put the windows down in order to block the noise from the paper mill across the street. The bed was comfortable but there were no extra pillows available. There are no bathrobes available for the possible trip to the shared bathroom in the middle of the night so be sure to bring your own. Bring your own hangers. The shower stall door was corroded. The wood trim in the bathroom was dusty. There isn't any reading material to be found either in the bedroom or in the common rooms. There is a billiard table and t.v. in the common rooms. Considering the many B&B's I've supported and complimented in the past, this sadly has a long way to go (note their website states "no frills" so take this literally). On the plus side, breakfast was adequate and the room was nicely decorated.
No, I wouldn't return. No, I won't recommend. No in that the price charged reflected the amenities and cleanliness seen at other B&B's. I've never had a tip envelope for housekeeping at a B&B and I was surprised at this, too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
Ramada Plaza Portland
Clarion Hotel
Clarion Hotel
#17 of 20 in Portland
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!