“I want to like it more” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Frog and Turtle

The Frog and Turtle
Reserve with OpenTable
The Frog and Turtle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 64 Restaurants in Westbrook
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main St.
Description: What is a gastro pub?” Gastronomy is the study of preparing and consuming food. A pub is a neighborhood spot for affordable food and good times. When you combine the two you get a neighborhood spot with a focus on food prepared from scratch with fresh ingredients.
Boston, Massachusetts
“I want to like it more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I salute the intentions of the chef here. Come prepared to spend some time and have an experience, not a quick meal. Chef creates dishes as they are ordered. The learning curve should have expired for chefs and owners to get onboard with creative, vibrant GF, vegan, and vegetarian options. We are no longer the minority. I find it offensive when a server approaches our table to sing the praises of the Sunday brunch and only mentions items that are meat, egg, cheese and flour filled. When my supportive date inquired about GF options, she quipped "Sure, have your benny without a muffin!" We arrived on a busy Saturday night, with a reservation and were quickly seated. Ten points for being ready for us! Service was VERY slow, but they were down a server so I completely understand how hard that is. The menu is nice, although I feel overpriced for what you get. Again... I have to call this restaurant out for their lack of GF, vegetarian and most of all, lack of vegan options. I ate an entree that was outside of my regime because we were with another couple and I hate calling attention to myself. This was a real issue, and I hope they will revamp the menu. This is a lovely restaurant in a town that needs a lovely restaurant...and I really want to have a reason to go back!

• Visited March 2014

Salem, MA
“Frustrating Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have enjoyed dining at the Frog and Turtle many times and usually have good experiences. The food is consistently good. However, last night I attempted to use a promotional coupon, that to be fair had expired, but was assured by Opentable that the purchase price would be honored. When we presentd it to the waitress she checked with the owner/chef who said they could not honor it, or even check with Opentable due to being too busy. I asked that the hostess attempt to contact Opentable and she reported that they only had technical support at night. Interestingly I did contact Opentable and they were staffed to service both restaurant and diner issues. Our reservation was at 6PM and we had requested a booth. A booth was not available without waiting some time, despite being assured by the owner that it would not be a problem. We were offered a decent table. Service was slow and we feel we were not treated with consideration, and will not be returning to this restaurant due to staff/owner attitude.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Terrapin44
portland, maine
“Enjoyable Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Burger with brie and home made onion rings hit the spot. House charcuterie plate without any accompanies was a great tasting app. served with plenty of toast points. Warm,soft,dense bread with meal. Could use a few more vegetarian options on menu. Partner had veg. Crepe. In my experience here, evening meals are very good. When ordering entrees, courses, alcohol(heavy handed ;),desserts: the price for a night out can quickly add up(like anywhere else). Service was informal, informed, attentive. Brunch: not so much. They also serve poutine..a rare comfort food south of the border.

Visited January 2014
Scarborough, Maine
“Great Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've heard so much about this restaurant over the years but have never had the occasion to dine here. I'm sorry to say that I took so long to visit. The food was flavorful and very reasonably priced.

• Visited December 2013
West Buxton, Maine
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

I've been here twice recently for business dinners with VIP's. The restaurant is cozy, and the food is excellent. Well prepared, tasty and presented beautifully. On my most recent I had a small seasonal salad as an appetizer. It was huge! A large i'm sure could have been a full meal. I told myself to eat only 1/2 as I had a full meal coming...but couldn't help myself as it was so good. I ate it all. A dining companion had the soup, which again was a large portion. Could easily have fed two as an appetizer. Dinner was the chicken cordon bleu. Two large portions of lightly breaded chicken breast topped with ham and cheese. It was then placed on top of a decent size portion of winter vegetables in a garlic sauce. Yummy! My companion had the home made maple walnut ice cream for dessert. It came with a bubbling glass of dry ice in water which was an amazing presentation. Very fun. The ice cream itself was very good. The texture wasn't as creamy as some, but the maple walnut infusion was out of this world. The Frog and Turtle for me has two draw-backs. Both times I have eaten here the service is slow. Not just waiting for the food to cook which you expect, but slow at everything. They are very pleasant and knowledgeable. Perhaps they are just pushing the "dining" concept? And i'm not a fan of the live music. The location is too small, and the music was too loud. It made it impossible for people to converse once the person started to play at 8pm. So either dine early, or know you won't be able to easily chat.

• Visited November 2013