“What a gem!”

Thai Place Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 48 Restaurants in Windham
Reviewed 13 February 2014

One of the things I notice about restaurants is how clean they are. It's a funny quirk I have...I hate to eat amongst filth. That having been said, this was probably one of the cleanest restaurants (including the rest room) that I have ever had the pleasure to eat at. The owner and his wife apparently run this small establishment, located on 302 in Windham. He was so nice and friendly, and we sat down for lunch hoping for the best. We weren't disappointed! Takeout is also available, as people swung by periodically to pick up their food. I had the red curry chicken, which had just enough heat and the vegetables were so fresh and crisp (and you need to know that this was February in Maine....) you'd have sworn they just pulled them from the garden. The rice that accompanied the curry was soft and there was just enough to sop up all that yummy curry broth. I wanted to lick the plate! My husband had the drunken noodle, which he proclaimed delicious as well. The prices are really reasonable for this tourist area, and we will certainly be back!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

First off, the owner, Manny, is a gem. He works very hard to make his restaurant the best Thai food in the area, and probably succeeds. That said, there are some things to be said which may help him to improve even further.

First off - all our food came in to-go containers, which is not the best presentation when you are eating in, and seems sort of wasteful. I imagine with just him and his wife there they don't have a lot of time to do dishes, but it was kind of a turn off. The appetizers are served in styrofoam, which makes them soggy and greasy. The curry comes piping hot in a plastic lidded container, which is definitely toxic as far as BPA leaching is concerned. The rice comes in tiny paper (chinese food) boxes, which is ok, but why give us three little ones instead of one big one? This is the main reason there are only 3 stars. To call the presentation "lackluster" would be too high a compliment.

The menu has a lot of options, including crab rangoon and chicken dumplings, which my parents ordered. The servings were a bit small and they looked kind of oily but then again, it's fried food so that might be unavoidable. They weren't finished, so I assume they were not that great.

I'm vegan, so I asked for his recommendations without shrimp paste or fish sauce, and he suggested the green curry. It was decent but not exceptional. Good flavor, but your basic 'canned' thai food vegetables swam along side what seemed to be very fresh local summer veggies. I would eat it again, but wasn't blown away. Both my parents seemed to enjoy their entrees, the 'princess special' I believe. We also ordered a fried rice to go, which I would have canceled after my entree if I could. When we heated it up later, it gave off a very fishy smell (even though we had ordered it vegan-friendly) and it turned out I couldn't eat it anyway because it had fried egg in it. To be fair, I didn't specifically ask if it had egg. To top it off, the meal for the three of us was over $60...that seemed like a heck of a lot for somewhat small portions in fast food containers. In all, it was two appetizers, three entrees, and a fried rice to go, as well as one soda and two waters (we asked for water, and got bottled, and probably were charged for it.) At 4pm we paid the dinner entree price for each, which must have been around $13/plate.

Overall, I wasn't expecting much for a small town Thai place in Maine. The food was decent enough, however, and I'd go there again if I were craving Thai food. The owner was exceptionally nice, and that's the reason I gave this place 3 stars, hoping that he will read this review and fix the things that aren't perfect, so that when I go back there I can give him 5 stars next time.

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

I ordered dinner for a group and the portions were TINY!! 4 entrees plus 3 apps didn't even come close to feeding 5. Never seen such small portions...food could have had more taste too! Not worth the price.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We are always treated with respect and friendliness. The owner is a super nice guy and will do all he can to make you happy. I can highly recommend this as a Thai take out kind fo place.

Been to Thai Place Restaurant? Share your experiences!