“Mixed feelings”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We decided to try Taste of Maine having seen it featured on a local TV station. Clam chowder was one of the best I have tasted in years. My wife's grilled shrimp were superb. We both had lobster mains, and they weren't great - perhaps a little over cooked. Service was slow. My wife ordered the salad with no dressing, which was ignored, though corrected quickly when pointed out. We had to wait too long for the check. There are better places to eat in Maine.

4  Thank DavidW99

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently had the pleasure of eating at a restaurant just over the bridge past Bath Maine. The food was OUTSTANDING! I had baked stuffed scallops and wish I could go back for more. The service was exceptional and the view out the big windows was breath taking! They had an extensive menu for both seafood and non seafood eaters. I would highly recommend the Taste of Maine.

1  Thank Kimberly G
Reviewed 15 April 2014

With all the great seafood places in the state, you'd think they'd try a little harder. The fried food tends to be oilier than it needs to be and the broiled seafood tends to be bland and in need of salt, pepper and lemon.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

It is easy to spend hours here. When you finish your meal, you can walk over to the gazebo, or sit at one of the picnic tables and take in the big sky and water. The staff is genuinely welcoming and wonderful. There must be a thousand unique items to look at, including a wonderful display of vaseline glass, displayed in an antique oak cooler. Then, there are the all the water fowl, ospreys and eagles to view in the stunningly beautiful estuarial river. Easily seen, but an added attraction is that window tables are equipped with binoculars.

For people arriving with children, there is the most wonderful play area with a table nearby. Unquestionably, these people love what they do, and consider their customer's happiness in every aspect of the operation.

I live in the midcoast, and this restaurant, which you might think is a tourist trap from the outside, but is not in any way such a thing, stands miles above all other restaurants for its genuine hospitality and good food.

The buffet, offered on Sunday, and perhaps other days?, is not mentioned on the website, and I usually prefer to order from the menu, but I was very happy I went for it, as one of the offerings were the best bbq ribs I've had in the northeast. (And, they're not on the regular menu). Highlights - the clam chowder was also the best I've had in decades, and full of clams. The mussels were lovely. The salads fresh as can be. There was even a salad of orzo, cranberries, pine nuts, parsley, with a perfect hint of herb.

Going to this restaurant makes a day a holiday, especially in the shoulder seasons.

2  Thank Input
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I had the seafood medley which is broiled. It was very bland and I had to season it with salt and pepper. The salad that comes with all the meals is a boring little caesar salad. My husband had the prime rib. The portion was ample and it looked good, but that, too, was tasteless and it was also so tough he did not finish his meal. We tried the bread pudding for dessert and that was tasteless as well. Our waitress was capable, efficient and nice. The prices were high, even if the food had tasted good. We are from Maine and the "Taste of Maine" should be named the "Tasteless of Maine". Sorry, folks.