“Wonderful views, great service, outstanding chowda”

Muddy Rudder Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Muddy Rudder Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Yarmouth
Price range: US$1 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, View, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Owner Matthew Witham are proud and excited to invite you to The Muddy Rudder Restaurant. Matt's vision of providing guests with exceptional food, coupled with impeccable service, has materialized on the picturesque coastline of Maine.
Sanbornville, New Hampshire
“Wonderful views, great service, outstanding chowda”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Terrific birthday celebration for my Uncle: 95 years young. Muddy Rudder set us up with a private room for approx. 25 overlooking the water with wonderful views. We hung out for about 4 hours with plenty of room, lots of drinks, and friendly service. Lunch was from a prepared limited menu, but quite diverse. I had the steak tips -- PERFECTLY med-rare. My husband had the scallops and rice: small portion, but the scallops were awesome. But the star of the show was the chowda: I had clam, my husband had a lobster bisque. Both were outstanding! YUM!!

Visited August 2014

Saco, Maine, United States
“Good food, nice views”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had a burger here. It was tasty and cooked well. Unless your kids will eat grownup food, there is no kids menu so beware. The place is nice and has a nice view of the river. You can drive your boat up to it and eat as well.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Erik K
Portland, Maine
“First visit, very good but super salty.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a living social coupon for the restaurant, I was pumped especially since I'd never been before. The view was pretty, I wanted to sit outside near the river but the host said it might get buggy so we stayed indoors. We ordered drinks, I got the martini flight which was super yummy, but our waiter didn't come back for what felt like 15 minutes. He had several other tables around us and served them water and bread but didn't stop back to see if we were ready to order dinner while we were waiting on our drinks. That kind of irked me. Once we did eventually get out bread, we were pleasantly surprised by the sweet butter it was paired with. Our fried calamari was good, but nothing special. I ordered the sea scallops which looked delicious, but there was sooo much salt on top. I had to ask for waters because our waiter never brought us any and I was so thirsty after a few bites. My bf ordered the steak tips, which were marinated and very juicy. The plates were pretty plane, mine came with just scallops, some risotto and 3 pieces of asparagus. The steak tips were just that with some simple mashed potatoes on the side. Overall it was a good experience, I'd definitely go back but will probably try something else next time. One of the martinis in the flight was so good I might have to ask if they can make me a full size version.

• Visited August 2014
Portland, Maine
“Great location, view, food and service”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

It's gotten much better. We've visited many times in recent years. The natural tidal river view and easy to find location obviously haven't changed, but the menu selections and food quality are much improved. This was our third visit this year and we think the improvements are here to stay. And pricing is very reasonable.

She often gets scallops and I often get a steak, and these have been consistently fine these past two years or so. This visit we both wanted a big salad and a smaller something to go with. She got lobster stew--fine taste but not as much meat as some other places we frequent. Also got the mixed green salad: huge with walnuts, apples, goat cheese. Almost entree sized. Very good.

I ordered the wedge--quarter of a lettuce head toppled with roasted tomatoes and blue cheese bits and dressing and bacon bits. Mostly wonderful. Tasty though some of of the outer rings of lettuce should have been pruned.

Great view. Comfy. Spacious though not cavernous. Our desert was scrumptious. Wine was typical. Lots of menu choices for visitors looking for seafood.

Great location on route one just a couple miles south of L.L.Bean. Worth a visit. Free parking. You'll enjoy Muddy Rudder

Visited August 2014
northern NY
“Never going back”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We ate here tonight and it was very loud on a Thursday night, we waited forever for service, and the waitress informed us there were no specials since the chef had so many reservations! I had salmon with burnt, home fries and what were supposed to be carrots. The menu said red potatoes. My husband had the scampi which was not hot, a very small portion and no roasted tomatoes as listed in it. The only thing we liked was our drinks! We've been coming to Maine for over 30 years and hadn't been here in 20. We would NOT go back . Too many other great places here in the Freeport area.

• Visited August 2014