“Funky good food”

Fat Tomato Grill
Ranked #26 of 112 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 12 August 2014

A little j=hole n the wall spot in York Harbor. Menu more expansive than I expected. My wife had soup (freshly made) and I thought th salad was quite nice. Staff friendly and helpful. I will go back

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Simple diner serving excellent freshly prepared food at a very reasonable price. Called whilst passing on way to York Harbour following a recommendation, which was fully endorsed by our visit. There are many overpriced and overrated eateries in this area but this certainly isn't one of them.

1  Thank Keith M
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This restaurant is a real gem in the town of York. Don't look for atmosphere or fancy digs, but if you have a hankering for really good, inexpensive food, this is the place to go. I had the harvest burger that was a homemade veggie burger. It was one of the best I have ever eaten. My friends had the turkey sandwich with stuffing and a meatball sub. The turkey was roasted to perfection, the stuffing like grandma used to make, and the meatballs homemade. We shared an order of sweet potato fries. Our orders arrived in no time. As I said, this place ain't fancy, but the food is really delicious. It is our second time going there and both experiences were positive! Highly recommend it!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

A colleague and I lunched at "the" tomato yesterday - my first time there; somehow it's easy for me to miss this place in our little downtown, and I'm sorry I did!

It's a great little lunch spot. I was bummed, for my friend is into salads at lunch so I followed suit even tho I was aching for a burger. I wasn't disappointed in the salad at all...but it must've been serendipity for I remembered my phone, but left behind my clutch/purse.

The owner called me today, having stashed it safely in his office, and I made a joke about keeping it ransom for "lunch". Thus I got to order and try two of the favorite burgers (the bacon/Bleu and the 911) and I was SO glad I (oops!) left my purse behind.

My report much like others' : great, great value for the money (each day, lunch with leftovers, fries, drinks) was $10/pp. And I am a big lunch eater - even my contractor husband didn't eat the entire platter (this might sound silly, but he requires chips at lunch and their burgers come with that, even tho I ordered French fries)! The fries remind me of what I used to love when McDonalds' fries were evil - but these have a peppery zing that brings your palate to another place. So WORTH it!

It's a great little spot, the burgers are cooked just as I'd asked - they pay attention to detail. Takeout is provided in one of those metallic heat-saving bags so while I was a half hour late, the lunch was still hot when it got home. It's those little things...

And the luncheon menu extensive enough to appeal to ANYONE. I plan on leaving my purse behind another 4 or 5 times so I'm forced to try out more of the menu!

Great job, Tomato!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I ordered a Reuben. To start, the person taking the order was simply not friendly to me or the other customers I watched come in. I can get over that, I'll take any amount of attitude to get great food. But the sandwich was the worst I ever had. It took about 20 minutes to get the reuben. Who knows why because it was barely warm and looked hastily thrown together with cheap corned beef that I could get at Walmart, nasty sauce and old tasting sauerkraut. To top it off, one half the sandwich had strawberry jelly smeared on it. If I hadn't left and eaten the sandwich elsewhere I'd have asked for my $8 back. I don't like to leave bad reviews, and I hate trashing local businesses but seriously this was just the worst dining experience I've had in Maine and with several of the best sandwich shops in new england on minutes away this was truly unexcusable.

2  Thank Brendan O

Been to Fat Tomato Grill? Share your experiences!