“The food is as good as the view!”

The York River Landing
Ranked #18 of 110 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$0 - US$28
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

THe York River House is a relatively new restaurant having only been open 9 or 10 weeks or so. Given that short time period I didn't know what to expect. The place is brand spanking new and cleaner than a whistle. They've taken good advantage of the outdoor area which provides a nice area overlooking the river where you can relax before dinner over a cocktail. We were there for lunch. Upon being greeted by our highly personable server she brought us a complimentary side of homemade whole garlic spread and crackers. I love garlic so it was a rather unexpected nice treat. We both ordered cups of clam chowder which was more the size of a small bowl than a cup. Very delicious smoky flavor. My wife then ordered a lobster roll with waffle fries and coleslaw. The roll was very light and airy which served to enhance the lobster. I ordered the fried haddock sandwich which was also served with waffle fries and cole slaw. The batter was light and crispy, the haddock was fresh, fresh, fresh, and like my wife's lobster roll it was served on a light and airy bun which didn't overwhelm the haddock. Serving sizes, especially the fries, were large. During our meal a gentleman who I was told was the district manager came over to our table and genuinely wanted to know how things were. We were told that the restaurant will be adding more menu items in the coming weeks/months and were interested in customer's input as to those choices. We will return on our next trip north.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stopped by here while traveling through the area and was very pleasantly surprised. Lovely view of the York River and a completely remodeled (if slightly anesthetic) decor. Sat outside on this fabulous Saturday evening and ordered a selection of oysters as well as their fried olive appetizers to go along with some wonderful craft beer from a broad selection on the menu. Followed this by splitting a fisherman's platter with my wife. Everything was great - my wife thought the fried scallops were a bit overdone, but they were perfectly cooked in my view. We both agreed the fried haddock was juicy, tender and perfectly cooked. All of the service staff was friendly and extremely pleasant. We will certainly be back soon!

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

What's not to like?
Great atmosphere - check.
Craft beer selection to die for - check
Wine and raw bar - check
Fresh seafood and premuim steaks - check
Owned by a couple local Maine residents - check
Outside deck overlooking the river - check (not completed my last visit)

I have two children, my 10 year old said the steak tip sub was the best she ever had and my 13 year old took one bite of the chicken tender, look at me and said "these are homemade aren't they".

If you are looking to try a restaurant that makes virtually everything from scratch and uses the freshest local ingredients, this is the place.

My only comment on service is that they have been open about a month, there is always a ramp up period for a new restaurant.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

As locals, we opted to wait a while until this place was more established and settled in. As locals, we did not hear good things around town. Well, whoever started the rumors were wrong. The entry way was very nice. Large and spacious throughout the building. It was clean and nicely decorated. The staff was very nice and attentive. Everyone had a smile on their face. There were great options for lunch. While some think this is an expensive place, it is not for the quality of food received, the portions received and for the area. If you want cheap dishes, there are formula restaurants further south or north in Portland. Around here, we like the exquisite dishes that all don't taste the same as other restaurants. The waffle fries were very good. Perfectly cooked. My "regular" size lobster roll was good. I don't like mayo on my lobster roll, but this specified a lemon aioli, which was different than the ordinary lobster roll that has just mayo. The grilled shrimp wrap with balsalmic was delicious. Other dishes passing by us were large and looked great. The cole slaw was very good as well. It was not soaking in mayo. Perfectly spiced. They have a great selection of wines and beer along with being a full service bar. This is, definitely, one of our new favorite local places to dine.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We hope the York River House is a great success. York needs this interesting restaurant and several more too. The building is gorgeous. The view pleasant. The parking adequate. The staff friendly and professional. Now about the food...
We've been there three times since it opened, and each time the food seems to get better. The first time we had salads, steamers and the fish 'n chips. The steamers were bland, but the fish 'n chips were perfect. We got the small salads and indeed they were very small. Tasty for sure, but a bit skimpy for the price. And that steamer recipe needs some fine tuning. Beer alone does not give steamers the oomph they need. The second visit was more successful. At the staff's suggestion we tried the mussels and the salmon. Both were fantastic. Plus we were getting a bit more adventurous with the beers. The waitstaff is becoming familiar with the beer offerings and are more comfortable giving suggestions and guidance. This past week we were at the YRH again. This time there were three of us, and we all had haddock. The haddock sandwiches were delicious and a good value. The haddock special was deemed a winner. (The restaurant was much busier this time and we weren't able to sit in our first choice of seating - the bar area. Glad to see the place busy, next time we'll have to get there earlier I guess.)
Just a note about the fries. They are perfect fries - soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. No extra coating, just cross hatched slices of potato, fried in some nice clean oil. Somehow these fries remain crispy even when not hot-hot. You don't have to eat them before the main part of your meal in order to enjoy them!
Others have pointed out some of the York River House's shortcomings, and I think the owners are taking such criticism seriously. For us it's the perfect place for a tasty meal in York. We plan to go often.

1  Thank Tootsie64