“Not the same as it used to be......”
Review of Union Bluff Hotel

Union Bluff Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
“Not the same as it used to be......”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I first went to the Union Bluff Hotel on York Beach in 1990. It was always a peaceful getaway for us. That is no longer the case. Now that they have a wedding facility we have to listen to people partying, yelling on the decks, yelling in the hallways, and banging on doorways. I heard a door slam in the hall at least 25 times because of people going in and out of the room. The noise kept us up into the night. It was more like a weekend of chaos than the peaceful getaway weekend it used to be. We miss the old movie theater, which they tore down to put up the Meeting House. I miss the old-fashioned atmosphere. Also, the prices of the rooms have become so inflated it will probably be impossible for us to stay here again.

However, it's not all bad. The beach is just a short walk across the street. The hotel has always been fantastically maintained. I have noticed improvements and renovations over the years. It is also just a short walk to the cute little town and the shops. The food in the hotel is usually good, but I did have a disappointing breakfast. Blueberry pancakes that were bland, no flavor at all. Will we return? Maybe. This is just another example of how everything changes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 2012girl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Dudley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We like it here, beautiful location and easy to access. Love that you can walk into town or the beach easily.

My biggest complaint is that the rooms are already priced too high and then they charge for each child, that is ridiculous. In all of our travels I have never encountered this before.
Restaurant is also over priced for a family. We ordered pizza instead.

I would love to come back here but think they need to review prices for what you get, each kid should not cost more.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Em W
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had booked our room in January for a late May wedding. I get particular about the room I want so I did my research and booked a King Ocean Front w/Fireplace. About a month before we were to arrive I received a call from the hotel telling me that the room I booked was overbooked so they would be moving me on the third night (they said "seamlessly" as if I wouldn't really notice) to another room and the good news was that it was one of their cheap (old and not renovated part of the hotel) rooms and I would be saving some money. I lost it but they made it right. They comped our room the first night and they helped us find a place to stay the last night. The room we stayed in (King Ocean Front w/Fireplace) was really adorable. It was on the top floor and the ocean views were spectacular. The staff was friendly for the most part once they warmed up to you (typical New England style) but the restaurant service was slow and sometimes not very friendly. It's not a hotel that easily accommodates a larger wedding party since there is not an indoor place to congregate other than the restaurant.

Room Tip: Stay in the new part of the hotel. It's very cute. Ocean view is worth the extra.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Deb W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have stayed at the union bluff multiple times. Most recently we held our wedding there with lots of family also staying there. We spent the first day welcoming the family sitting on the lawn chair overlooking the ocean across from the hotel. Everyone's immediate reaction was how beautiful it is and how helpful the valet staff was. We followed welcoming everyone with lunch at the union grill where I had the best lobster roll of my life. The staff at the union bluff is so helpful from the front desk, wait staff and the housekeeping always have a smile and easy to approach. It was a wonderful weekend and all our guested raved about the location and the staff. It's centrally located with lots of cute shops. It's also very close to the restaurant inn on the blues where the hospitality and the food is delicious!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My boyfriend and I wanted to go away for a weekend for our 6 year anniversary. A co-worker recommended the Union Bluff Hotel. We had a great time! It was wonderful to sit on the balcony of our room and listen to the ocean. We enjoyed having breakfast and dinner; got to love mimosas in the morning. Great area to walk around; beach, little shops, etc.

We will definitely be back for a visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marissa L
Glenmont, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We have just returned from our 5 day stay at the Union Bluff Hotel, and once again, it was absolutely wonderful. This was our 7th visit to this hotel, and we had a wonderful time. The staff has always been accomodating, and we have always enjoyed our meals in the Pub. The grounds are prestine, as always, and we are looking forward to returning in September.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter S
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Had reservations at hoarders b/b in kittery walked out and drove to this magnificent hotel. Staff so lovely and welcoming. Stayed at the annex. What a room. Great bed,so very clean,and the sounds of the ocean so welcoming. Cannot wait to go bsck.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Union Bluff Hotel? Share your experiences!