“Fanastic wedding trip”
Review of Union Bluff Hotel

Union Bluff Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Reviewed 23 July 2010

It's been over a year since we stayed here as guests for a wedding, but I have to add a positive review for this hotel. I had read more negative reviews of this hotel on here than any other hotel I have ever planned to stay at before our trip and braced myself for the rude staff when I went to check in. They couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating and just genuinely nice our entire stay. I have no idea where the nasty people who other visitors claim work here were hiding. Location is ridiculously good and the little grassy bluff in front of the beach is great for socializing with friends or a relaxing spot to read. Rooms were clean and traditional but no frills. We ended up in a handicap accessible room in the main building, so the room and bathroom were huge, including a jacuzzi tub and a shower. Rooms in the adjacent building to the west were much more basic, but it's not like you're going to spend much time in them. What really stood out for me was the service. I forget her name, but the woman who seemed to run the Bluff Pub could not have been more outgoing, sharp and helpful during our nightly "parties". We were with a big group and she always immediately remembered what I was drinking and maintained a friendly attitude while working her butt off to make sure we were taken care of along with a bar full of people. The food in the pub at various times of the day was consistently delicious. I cannot speak for the Union Grill as we did not eat there, but the menu looked very interesting. I just can't say enough how pleased I was with our stay here.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Union Bluff Hotel

Reviewed 6 June 2010

staff was friendly. food was very good. i got a center queen room w/deck (big with 2 very nice deck chairs), room was nice, a little old fashion in decor, needed coffee maker in room, has wifi(worked fast!!!), bathroom was pretty big(granite counter tops). can't beat the location!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2010

You think that you're entering a small town restaurant and really you're entering a culinary dream! Yum, Yum, YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 28 March 2010

This was out first time at the Union Bluff. We had come to do an overnight with several friends, some of whom had stayed here previously.
Our restaurant experience was a shame, because the food was excellent- outstanding even. But if I ever stay here again, I will not eat in that restaurant. We had planned on breakfast there – but after our experience we went elsewhere.

We made reservations for 7PM for our group of 6 to eat a dinner in the hotel restaurant. This was restaurant week in that area, and they were featuring a special menu. We waited over an hour and a half to get our entrees. – off a special menu they were making just for this event!
At 8.30, I approached the restaurant manager and told them how long we were waiting, since I had noticed several other tables seated after us that were finishing their food!
The manager offered no explanation or apology, but preceded to argue with us that the wait was not really all that unreasonable, and after all- hadn’t we been given our appetizers? We had only gotten the appetizers after asking our server what the hold up was, and we got them after almost an hour wait.
The manager was arguing with us, the paying customers, in the dining room-in front of other customers. Had we not waited so long already, I would definately have left and gone elsewhere. Funny how right after that - the food came out!

Reviewed 22 March 2010

A group of us went there the weekend of March 5th, my first time and last. The group of friends we went with have gone there every year for the past 5 years or more and had a great time, and never had a problem with the restaurant staff, but this time the staff was horrible they say. Being our first time there we thought that is how the wait staff is at Union Bluff. We did the package deal that includes two breakfast and a dinner and the room for two nights. The chefs are great so the food was great. The wait staff made you feel like you were in the way and figured if they ignore you , you may leave so the locals can have a seat. There was nine of us in our party on Friday night planning to eat in the Pub, so our friend went down early to get some tables together so we could all sit together. After waiting almost an thirty minutes we watch the hostess keep seating locals at tables we were waiting for. After waiting forty five minutes the hostess decided to split us up, four at a table and five in a both that seated only four. I did notice the locals did not wait more then fifteen minutes. After noticing every other table was empty we decided to wait for a local couple to pay there bill and pulled the tables together for our party. Maybe the hostess missed that training class. The bartenders are great and do a better job serving the guest than the wait staff. Hope the waitress we had Friday night at the Pub enjoyed the tip she didn't deserve. She waited on us then disappeared for 20 minutes. We wanted to order more drinks, but i guess she felt the Pub made enough money that night. We were over charged $25.00 on our dinner bill the next night so, double check your bill if you eat there. I wonder if the manager would have came to us later when or if she noticed the $25.00 mistake. I'm sure no one would have contacted us on the mistake. Sunday at breakfast it took my girlfriend over 10 minutes to get her meal. Lets put it this way, the first person to get there meal was done eating by the time she received hers. The walls in the rooms are very thin. The bedding had stains on it. You hear everything in the room next to you. So, if you decide to visit Union Bluff don't expect the staff to be friendly just because you paid t for the weekend with the food package. I don't think they know how to serve groups of more than four. So, sit at the bar and bring your calculator and hope you don't have a squeaky bed. This is my experience and i hope your visit is better than ours. Good luck..

Reviewed 14 March 2010

We just spent two nights here at the recommendation of a friend who has stayed many times. We could not have had a better time. We ate in the pub twice for dinner- the first night (Thursday) there were a few people there- a lot of local regulars, and we were made to feel right at home. The food was incredible (flat bread buffalo chicken pizza, loaded nachos). So much to choose from. The second night (Friday) the pub was PACKED- we had to wait 20 minutes for a table, but we didn't mind because it just went to say how great the place is. Tonight the food did not disappoint- a had a Rueben sandwich, and a sausage flatbread pizza. there is free coffee in the lobby in the morning (and it's the best coffee I have ever had), we decided against breakfast at the hotel, and instead walked to Sandy's, the purple building down the street (also wonderful and friendly). We had a queen corner oceanview room- and what a view. The balcony had two very comfortable lounge chairs. The room had 2 equally comfortable sitting chairs. I can not say enough positive things about this hotel. The staff were friendly. There was no haggling on the price, and no AAA rate, but honestly, the prices weren't bad at all for what we got.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We've spent our Columbus Day weekends at Union Bluff over the past 15 years and love it. It's the perfect location. The food is good. We relax and enjoy a mini vacation at our home away from home. We've recommended Union Bluff to friends and family and they've enjoyed it as well. We look forward to next year!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Union Bluff Hotel? Share your experiences!