“Avoid The Anchorage”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We recently had a very disappointing experience at The Anchorage. We've travelled a fair amount and I know good service and good value when I see it. Unfortunately I did not see that at The Anchorage. I'm not a complainer. The Anchorage has earned the distinction of being the only hotel for which I've ever felt a need to post a negative review in a public forum. I really have better ways to spend my time, but if I can help even one person from wasting their money on this place then it is time well spent.

I assume that most of us here work hard for our money. We hope to be able to simply enjoy a few days away here and there and not worry about feeling like we wasted our time or money. I think this point is lost on the people who run The Anchorage (or perhaps they just don't care).

I'll attempt to summarize our experience. Upon checking in, we went to our room to discover that our magnetic key cards wouldn't open the door. Back to the front desk. Later that evening, at 10pm, we discovered that our room's air conditioner didn't work. This required the interruption of two visits from the maintenance staff to get it corrected. Once settled in, we noted that the paint is peeling from the woodwork, there was rust on the ceiling, the bathroom blinds were broken, and the room just felt worn and tired. "Good value" was not the phrase that came to mind. We also discovered that the hotel's free wifi is severely overtaxed - it was sporadic and unreliable in the evening and in the morning. As the evening progressed, the hotel's age revealed itself by allowing us to hear the floor creaking as the guests above us walked back and forth (which for some reason continued for most of the night). On the bright side, I was able to finally access the wifi at 3am as I lied awake from the creaking.

The next day, discouraged and tired, we left our room and went for a late lunch and a brief walk and a drive. By mid afternoon we decided that our vacation was being ruined by our experience at The Anchorage and we just didn't want to spend another night there, so we decided to check out and go home. It was just the combination of all the factors I mentioned above.

The front desk clerk coldly but dutifully reminded me that we would not be entitled to a refund, so I decided that I'd take up the matter with the hotel's manager.

A few days later I called and spoke to Patty, the manger. She was aware of our situation. I *very* politely tried to explain our situation to Patty. Patty was not rude, but she was most certainly not overly friendly either. She refused to consider my request for a refund, and I was offended by her implication that we had "spent the day at the beach" before deciding to check out. That implies dishonesty on my part, and her attitude was unacceptable. Patty's opinion was that we should have come to the front desk by the 11:00 checkout time, and then she might have considered a refund. I understand that now - but I only wish i had been aware of that policy at the time. When I asked her, again politely, to at least consider a partial refund, she flatly and abruptly refused. Game over.

So there you have it. As I mentioned previously, most of us work hard to earn enough money to take a vacation now and then. I can't help but think that the owners and management of The Anchorage could care less about that fact, and they view their customers as nothing more than dollar signs.

We had a bad experience, it's as simple as that. The Anchorage is clearly a very successful establishment. Honestly, would it really hurt their bottom line to concede to even a partial refund as a gesture of goodwill in the interest of excellent customer service? Unfortunately we know the answer to that question. We and other family members had stayed at The Anchorage previously over many years. Never again. Had the outcome been different we might have returned for another stay.

Oh and as for the shabby room condition, as soon as I post this message I will be uploading some photos of the room on this site so you can see for yourself.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my experience. There are many good reviews on this site of The Anchorage (puzzling...). I would only encourage you to make your choice very carefully. I wish mine had been different.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Me T

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have been coming here for about 25 years and have tried all the various accommodations offered by this oceanfront resort. I have previously reviewed the resort, but this was our first time in the newer Ocean Suites, which are substantially more expensive than the regular units. We felt that the extra space, upgraded furnishings and finishes, parking garage, and dedicated pool were worth the expense. Year after year, the staff is welcoming and the housekeepers especially helpful. We liked that the outdoor heated pool attached to the Suites building was restricted to guests in that building only, less crowded and noisy. That said, the chaise loungers were the only chairs, and no umbrellas for comfort in the sun, which can be intense. A few tables and straight chairs with umbrellas would make for a much more comfortable pool experience. We noticed that someone had spilled a purple/pink smoothie type drink on the poolside of the entrance gate, and the splatter mess was still there 2 days later. We would also recommend increased soundproofing if possible as there is considerable noise in halls, especially near elevators, and noise from guests in surrounding suites can be very disturbing, especially when guests are banging walls, stomping around, yelling, and partying late at night. We had to call the desk one of the nights we stayed here....this kind of noise is unacceptable at these prices. Still, we would return because the Anchorage is mostly consistent and has a perfect location on a wonderful family beach.

Room Tip: do NOT stay in rooms across from elevator (such as 265 or 266). Very noisy. Same would be true in...
1  Thank nhpbilt
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was our first stay in York Beach, and I chose the Anchorage because I was bringing my family and I thought the proximity to the beach along with the outdoor pool would be perfect. We had a great stay here. The hotel is close to everything you need. We spent a lot of time at both the indoor and outdoor pools. We also spent a good deal of one day at the beach, and it was so easy to go back to the room for things. A bonus was the free coffee to go in the cafe that we enjoyed on the two glorious mornings we were there. The room was very clean. I would definitely return to this hotel for another visit. The only reasons that it wasn't excellent are that the rooms are on the small side, totally adequate but in no way luxurious for the price. The television was a small older one, but we weren't there to watch tv! The rooms are on an exterior balcony, and when people walked by you could feel the vibration as you lay in your bed. The drinks at the cafe were pricey, at $9 for a cocktail I thought that was a bit too much. Another problem is the parking lot. When we arrived at 2:30 the lot was crawling with cars looking for spaces and there wasn't really a lot of room to maneuver two cars by each other. We did finally find a spot after we checked in. Other than those minor things we had a great stay and will return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are obviously quieter and have the best view. On the first and second floor r...
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husbands family has been going to the Anchorage for over 25 years. We are on the third generation of Anchorage goers and it's always a sad day when we have to leave. This time we stayed in the Atrium and had a problem with the noise level above us and called the front desk, problem resolved quickly. Room Service came late one day and we had already returned back to our room the front desk called to ask if there was anything that we needed since our room was not cleaned that day, very polite staff !! As always, we are counting down the months for our return stay. Cannot get ay better than crossing the street and there is the beach which is always a beautiful site.

2  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is a full service resort facility on the Atlantic coast of southern Maine. A clean, well kept facility has all you could ask for in a resort facility.

Indoor and outdoor pools, small snack shop, full restaurant across the street and best of all, the beaches of southern Maine.

Great family friendly place to vacation or just visit for a weekend get away...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Hi BryantA,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review of your stay with us!

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip with your family! We agree, the Southern Maine Beaches are the best! :) We look forward to seeing your family again in the future!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

This was the second time in as many summers that we've stayed here. Once again, we were delighted by our experience and will stay again. I opted for the Atrium building once again, as the indoor pool (one of two on the property) is there and my kids, 6 and 4, loved that pool last year. We got the same exact room we'd had last year...I'm not sure if this was intentional, but we were happily surprised as we liked the room a lot. It has a partial ocean view and from the balcony we could easily view the water. As others have stated, it's a quick walk to the beach across the sea and just a short drive to Short Sands Beach and shopping. We had a few issues with our key card, and the front office staff was more than helpful and accommodating. Another successful weekend stay!!!

Room Tip: Atrium building is very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Hi Laura S,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay with us.

We were thrilled that your family opted to stay with us again this summer - we love our repeat guests! We do our best to honor any guest room requests as much as possible - very happy that it worked out for your family!

We thank you again for choosing the Anchorage Inn - we look forward to hopefully seeing you next summer!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We just returned from a two night stay. We had a room in the Ocean Suites and the Main Building. Great room in the Ocean Suites building - very nice size and nice view. Definitely worh the money. The room in the Main building was very nice also. It was recently renovated (Room 135). The bathroom was very small (sink on the outside) - but it worked out just fine. It was a very nice and very clean room. Ron and Patty at the front desk were the most pleasant, nicest people to deal with. They helped make my elderly parents stay - a great on!. I can't thank them enough! I think this hotel should definitely be rated higher than it is. .

Room Tip: Ocean Suites are well worth the money!

Hi 143Liz,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your stay!

We are thrilled to hear that you were able to enjoy both the Main Building and the Ocean Suites. Each building is unique and has pros/cons. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip with your parents!

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us - we hope to see you again in the future!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near York Beach
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!