“Great location, not so good facilities”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Plainville, Massachusetts
“Great location, not so good facilities”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The "new" Atrium building needs to be refurbished.
The walls were cracked in different places, sprinklers had holes around it - you could see inside the wall, the window didn't shut - it actually rained inside the room, the TV was one of those outdated 15-inch boxes that you find on the curbside for free, the towel hooks were broken, the bathroom had rusty fixtures. Mold is also present, as you can see in the pictures.
The AC is so loud we decided to turn it off and endure a hot quiet night rather than a cool noisy one.
There is no one at the front desk of the Atrium building and the doors are always open (you don't need keys or cards to go in, even late at night). This means ANYBODY can walk right in this building, not only guests. A little scary if you have valuable items or kids with you.
The bed was good and the sheets were clean.
It wasn't bad enough to ruin our vacation, but for over $250 a night I was definitely hoping for something better.
This hotel is in a great location, right in front of the Ocean, but it absolutely needs some renovation.

Room Tip: The Atrium building is certainly better than the Motel style front building. The 1st floor is too c...
6 Thank Allamandi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here one night over Labor Day weekend. We had a full ocean view room on the 2nd floor with a shared balcony. The views are great, but the room itself was nothing special with a tiny bathroom. I guess I expected more since the room was $260/night. I will say that the front desk people are extremely helpful and friendly, there is a nice pool area with a small bar (though we did not use it). The best thing about this hotel is its proximity to the beach although the weather was bad which made the whole stay less than perfect. I'm not sure I would stay here again, you could get a much cheaper motel that would not be much different in quality.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DebbieK44
Braintree, MA
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My family has stayed at the Anchorage Inn for the past six summers. Our first year we stayed in the older part of the hotel but we have stayed in the suites for the past five years. The ocean views are breathtaking and the accommodations are top notch for York, ME. Having an indoor pool is what sold us our first year and saved us a few summers. Having small children, you have to plan for rainy days! My only complaint about the suites would be the "complimentary breakfast and happy hour". With the price that we pay, the "complimentary" should include more than some coffee, juice and a handful of bagels. If you want a donut or pastry you have to be the first one there. The room is also too small to accommodate all of the families that stay in the suites. Providing smaller chairs may provide more room and less stress to the poor person left to distribute small amounts of Chex mix and crackers to the masses. Everyone is tired after a day in the sun with the family. The promise of a cold beer and some snacks is tempting but the long wait and cramped quarters keeps people away. Other than that, the Anchorage is a great place to stay and take in all that York has to offer.

Boston
Reviewed 31 August 2013

First, I love York! I grew up going to this beach. Spent years renting cottages and then swore the whole scene off after a few rainy summers. The Anchorage renewed me! Right across from the beach! Indoor/outdoor pool, snacks and drinks. Now the bad, very dated rooms, overpriced for sure and if the weather was bad, I would have gone nuts! Book when weather is guaranteed and shoulder season for reduced rate.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank pmt67
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

We recently had a very disappointing experience at The Anchorage. We've travelled a fair amount and I know good service and good value when I see it. Unfortunately I did not see that at The Anchorage. I'm not a complainer. The Anchorage has earned the distinction of being the only hotel for which I've ever felt a need to post a negative review in a public forum. I really have better ways to spend my time, but if I can help even one person from wasting their money on this place then it is time well spent.

I assume that most of us here work hard for our money. We hope to be able to simply enjoy a few days away here and there and not worry about feeling like we wasted our time or money. I think this point is lost on the people who run The Anchorage (or perhaps they just don't care).

I'll attempt to summarize our experience. Upon checking in, we went to our room to discover that our magnetic key cards wouldn't open the door. Back to the front desk. Later that evening, at 10pm, we discovered that our room's air conditioner didn't work. This required the interruption of two visits from the maintenance staff to get it corrected. Once settled in, we noted that the paint is peeling from the woodwork, there was rust on the ceiling, the bathroom blinds were broken, and the room just felt worn and tired. "Good value" was not the phrase that came to mind. We also discovered that the hotel's free wifi is severely overtaxed - it was sporadic and unreliable in the evening and in the morning. As the evening progressed, the hotel's age revealed itself by allowing us to hear the floor creaking as the guests above us walked back and forth (which for some reason continued for most of the night). On the bright side, I was able to finally access the wifi at 3am as I lied awake from the creaking.

The next day, discouraged and tired, we left our room and went for a late lunch and a brief walk and a drive. By mid afternoon we decided that our vacation was being ruined by our experience at The Anchorage and we just didn't want to spend another night there, so we decided to check out and go home. It was just the combination of all the factors I mentioned above.

The front desk clerk coldly but dutifully reminded me that we would not be entitled to a refund, so I decided that I'd take up the matter with the hotel's manager.

A few days later I called and spoke to Patty, the manger. She was aware of our situation. I *very* politely tried to explain our situation to Patty. Patty was not rude, but she was most certainly not overly friendly either. She refused to consider my request for a refund, and I was offended by her implication that we had "spent the day at the beach" before deciding to check out. That implies dishonesty on my part, and her attitude was unacceptable. Patty's opinion was that we should have come to the front desk by the 11:00 checkout time, and then she might have considered a refund. I understand that now - but I only wish i had been aware of that policy at the time. When I asked her, again politely, to at least consider a partial refund, she flatly and abruptly refused. Game over.

So there you have it. As I mentioned previously, most of us work hard to earn enough money to take a vacation now and then. I can't help but think that the owners and management of The Anchorage could care less about that fact, and they view their customers as nothing more than dollar signs.

We had a bad experience, it's as simple as that. The Anchorage is clearly a very successful establishment. Honestly, would it really hurt their bottom line to concede to even a partial refund as a gesture of goodwill in the interest of excellent customer service? Unfortunately we know the answer to that question. We and other family members had stayed at The Anchorage previously over many years. Never again. Had the outcome been different we might have returned for another stay.

Oh and as for the shabby room condition, as soon as I post this message I will be uploading some photos of the room on this site so you can see for yourself.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my experience. There are many good reviews on this site of The Anchorage (puzzling...). I would only encourage you to make your choice very carefully. I wish mine had been different.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Me T

Travellers are raving about these York Beach hotels

Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have been coming here for about 25 years and have tried all the various accommodations offered by this oceanfront resort. I have previously reviewed the resort, but this was our first time in the newer Ocean Suites, which are substantially more expensive than the regular units. We felt that the extra space, upgraded furnishings and finishes, parking garage, and dedicated pool were worth the expense. Year after year, the staff is welcoming and the housekeepers especially helpful. We liked that the outdoor heated pool attached to the Suites building was restricted to guests in that building only, less crowded and noisy. That said, the chaise loungers were the only chairs, and no umbrellas for comfort in the sun, which can be intense. A few tables and straight chairs with umbrellas would make for a much more comfortable pool experience. We noticed that someone had spilled a purple/pink smoothie type drink on the poolside of the entrance gate, and the splatter mess was still there 2 days later. We would also recommend increased soundproofing if possible as there is considerable noise in halls, especially near elevators, and noise from guests in surrounding suites can be very disturbing, especially when guests are banging walls, stomping around, yelling, and partying late at night. We had to call the desk one of the nights we stayed here....this kind of noise is unacceptable at these prices. Still, we would return because the Anchorage is mostly consistent and has a perfect location on a wonderful family beach.

Room Tip: do NOT stay in rooms across from elevator (such as 265 or 266). Very noisy. Same would be true in...
1 Thank nhpbilt
boston, ma
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was our first stay in York Beach, and I chose the Anchorage because I was bringing my family and I thought the proximity to the beach along with the outdoor pool would be perfect. We had a great stay here. The hotel is close to everything you need. We spent a lot of time at both the indoor and outdoor pools. We also spent a good deal of one day at the beach, and it was so easy to go back to the room for things. A bonus was the free coffee to go in the cafe that we enjoyed on the two glorious mornings we were there. The room was very clean. I would definitely return to this hotel for another visit. The only reasons that it wasn't excellent are that the rooms are on the small side, totally adequate but in no way luxurious for the price. The television was a small older one, but we weren't there to watch tv! The rooms are on an exterior balcony, and when people walked by you could feel the vibration as you lay in your bed. The drinks at the cafe were pricey, at $9 for a cocktail I thought that was a bit too much. Another problem is the parking lot. When we arrived at 2:30 the lot was crawling with cars looking for spaces and there wasn't really a lot of room to maneuver two cars by each other. We did finally find a spot after we checked in. Other than those minor things we had a great stay and will return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are obviously quieter and have the best view. On the first and second floor r...
Also consider these accommodations in or near York Beach
York Harbor Inn
#1 of 4 in York Harbor
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!