“Clean but Quirky....”

Long Beach Motor Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in York Beach
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed at the motel last weekend. We have been vacationing in York for the past 15 years usually for a week at a time. We decided on a last minute weekend get away our usual place was booked so we figured we would give this place a try. The room decor is outdated but I found it extremely clean. The towels are small and the beds hard, neither were an issue for us. Gary is very nice and accommodating but a bit quirky. When we first arrived we got a lecture on smoking, no guest, washing our feet off, etc. It was a bit much. The speed "cliffs" are obnoxious! I have a bad back and I had to brace myself every time my husband went over one, We were also directed to park in the back "against the arrows, beep when going around the corner" to avoid head on collisions, not safe! If your a smoker find somewhere else to say. I'm a smoker and my husband likes an occasional cigar. Forget it if you stay here you have to walk 250' off the property to do either. This may be a dream for non-smokers but a nightmare for smokers. There is a weird feeling that your being watched all the time. I said that to my husband and laughed when I read some of these reviews, it's true, creepy! Maybe it's due to the fact that on the TV you can watch people coming and going from the property. I can't say I had a bad experience but I won't be going back. To many rules! So sad because it could really be a fun time he has an amazing set up. Oh and please get rid of the 1930's music at the pool.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank mom2kdg

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family and I have been coming to York Beach for the past few summers and love staying at the Long Beach Motor Inn. The rooms are always clean, the view is amazing and the customer service is impeccable. It is just a quick walk to the beach; we can just cross the street and we are there. If you need to change your reservation due to weather, the owner is very flexible and accommodating. He even notified us two days prior to our arrival this summer, to see if we wanted to change dates, due to an upcoming storm. These are the many reasons we keep coming back.

Room Tip: choose a room on the lower level
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sharon G
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Ignore older reviews!! I was hesitant on booking because of negative reviews. However I came to the conclusion that most of them were in regards to the “older lady” and older posts. As I kept reading I figured out the mom had Alzheimer’s. Since I am aware of this condition, I could see how people could have an unpleasant experience. I liked the idea that there was a kitchenette, pool, and right across from the beach, besides no other reasonably priced hotel had these offerings that was available. So I figured I knew what to expect and would just avoid “the situation”. So I called, expecting the worst. However on the other line, was a very pleasant and accommodating male (Gary). He even allowed me to check in at 10 am! Yeah! One more beach day! Note: I do not have any affiliation with him or hotel, but I wanted to write this review so others can make a more informed decision and not let past reviews deter them. When we arrived, he was very nice and definitely the opposite of what some others previously mentioned (I never saw the mother on my stay). I was even expecting a long not to do list per other reviewer but from what I remember it was basically the same speech that you get at most hotels except he did speech while we were walking to room versus at the front desk. The only thing that was asked of us that no other hotels have asked is to wash off our sandy feet before entering (which I personally would want to do anyways). ie FYI watch the 3 speed bumps. I am sure locals do not use the driveway as a turn around. I chalked up as one measure to prevent people who shouldn’t be on the property.

The hotel was typical of a New England beach hotel. It was kept up and very clean. If you are used to staying at 5 star hotels, then this obviously wouldn’t be your hotel but then again not sure if Maine would be?? So besides the expected, the only thing I would say is bring your own large towels. I read that suggestion by another reviewer and planned to bring but husband decided not to pack, the towels didn’t bother us but I know for others this might. Oh and for the person who said about post-it notes, didn’t see any in my room (except the metal plates ie emergency room evac, etc; I hope that is not what she considered post its because almost all hotel have this). The kitchenette was great because my daughter ended up not feeling well so we cooked in the room. I liked that it was smoke free and there were separate areas for children and adult only. The pool was heated. The location was great! Gary was helpful and understanding, especially concerning my daughter who got sick. You couldn’t ask for better customer service!! My days consisted of beach, pool, visit to lighthouse/browns, zoo/carnival (only went to zoo part), and restaurants. Coffee drinkers have to plan accordingly ie bring your own, walk to breakfast place, or have to boil water/instant,etc…

I am glad I didn’t listen to some reviews. I am sure you will find Gary great!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank tracyamor
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My children and I head down to York from Jonesport, ME. when the waves are up.
On this trip it was my oldest daughter and I. We were very happy with our stay. Gary the owner, is very accommodating. Our room was quite larger for a Motor Inn. I loved the kitchenette. Gary asked if we were going to use the kitchen and i said yes, he then happily supplied us with a coffee maker, toaster and utensil including plates, bowls and cups.
I've read the reviews on the price. I too thought is was high, but if you stay 3 nights, like we purchased the price is much lower. The rooms are super clean and i love sleeping on white sheets. the Wi-Fi was a must, and Long Beach Motor Inn has it! I love the flowers surrounding the property, Its so clean and well maintained. for decor, the wall paper in the kitchen and curtains have to go. too outdated from what the outside looks like. We loved the huge HD-TV on the wall a plus for watching from the bed. Our room had a double bed and did i mention clean! The towels were too small, but maybe that's so no one steels them, i don't know. but we laughed how it didn't even cover us. cute.
Over all we will stay there again, We loved the great Service from the owner, being right across the street from the beach and being so clean.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Marie B
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We drove up and down Long Beach and this place stood out as being the best maintained.
The facilities are excellent and we were very well treated by the kind owner who went of his way to provide everything we needed. We originally intended to stay the one night but decided to stay another night and enjoyed the BBQ.
Would recommend unreservedly.

Room Tip: Just state your requirements, if you need Wifi be close to Room 9.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pirtonpensioners
Reviewed 21 August 2013

A trip back in time. Not only because of the name (Motor Inn ...) but everything here reminds us of the 60s (furnishing, comfort, landscaping, etc). Nice if you want to recall memories of trips to the sea you used to do with your parents!
The only bug is the music at the pool (9 to 9), if your room is located in the second half in the back ... too loud and departure time (10) a little early !
Maybe a little expensive for the quality / price but the memories are priceless!

Room Tip: Front section nearest to the sea
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank yultoyou
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Looking at the other reviews, there were some positives to this place: good location across from beach, nice landscaping, separate section for families with kids and adults only, smoke free and pet free. However, the price we paid for three nights was not worth it for us and we would not go back. The hotel rooms are very dated, the towels provided were so small and thin you could hardly dry yourself. The little kitchenette was barely adequate, no coffeemaker but fortunately we brought our own. Gary, the owner, was a bit quirky and has a full page list of rules including "friends or family or guests visiting must sign in at the office" and "no visitors may stay beyond 6:00 p.m." We had a local York Beach friend stop by LBMI before going out to dinner and Gary wanted to charge him $10.00 to park even though the hotel was only half filled and had plenty of parking spaces available. This hotel was disappointing and next time I'd look elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you are in the "adults only" category, request Room 18 which is on the front corner of...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House
Cutty Sark Motel
Cutty Sark Motel
#4 of 9 in York Beach

Been to Long Beach Motor Inn? Share your experiences!