“Lovely place to dine”
Review of Shearwater

Shearwater
Reserve with OpenTable
Shearwater is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We had lunch here, with a view of the ocean and the strong currents of the York River entering the ocean. Service was fast, friendly and gracious. Crab & corn chowder was excellent as was the beet salad. Sandwiches are very big and delicious. Bright and cheery décor.

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for a nice lunch on a grey, rainy day. Even with that, the view was still lovely. Service was good, although the hostess seemed a bit slow at noticing people waiting to be seated. The black bean soup of the day was ok. The beet salad was phenomenal. My friend's clam chowder was great and their lobster roll was amazing.
Overall, worth the slight extra price if you are in the mood for something nicer.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

First let me say, I LOVE the Stage Neck Inn. I have had wonderful occasions there over 3 decades (including my 2nd wedding). So it was my pick to meet with extended family members who were visiting M.I.T. in Cambridge and wanted a jaunt into Maine.

There were seven of us, including two 'tweens and a 9-year-old, one of whom is a very picky eater. The service was superb, with the waitress being professional and polished with the adults, but nicely talking to the kids and handling their needs (Milk in a wine glass? Done!).

We all liked our meals......emphasis on "liked", not "loved". I had rib-eye, which was done as ordered and came with a few steak-fries (pretty good) and broccoli rabe (perfectly steamed). The stuffed haddock was good (though my daughter was told the stuffing did not contain scallops, but it did), and one person had classic lobster which was nicely done but of course it's hard to screw up a lobster.

The starters were not worthwhile. The lobster bisque was not worth the money, and the wedge salad was surprisingly pedestrian. The desserts I was told were very good, though only ice cream-based ones were tried. My coffee was superb.

The atmosphere of course is just gorgeous. But I'll admit to slight disappointment on the food. Everything was fine, but it just was not in any way special.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

A perfect lunch on a perfectly sunny day - the Stage Neck Inn is so charming, and the dining room has one of the most gorgeous views of the coast. Our waitress and host were both very gracious. The food? Well, what can you expect from Maine lobster that was caught that morning? FABULOUS. All of our group was extremely happy.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This restaurant has a commanding view of the ocean and is an excellent place for lunch.
We started out sharing the beet salad with yellow and red beets, arugula, goat cheese and dressing; the salad was excellent! Then we shared a large platter of very tiny shrimps, scallops, haddock and home made potato chips. Unfortunately all the seafood was breaded making this meal very tasteless. I guess we should have asked the waitress for more details.