“Placed is filthy and smells terrible”

York Harbor Motel and Cottages
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in York Harbor
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The location is great and the people were nice but the motel itself was gross. My family and I stayed for 1 night and my 6 year was holding her nose when she walked in because of the stench. The carpet was disgusting and there was dirt on the walls. We love the town of York but don't waste your $ on this motel- it's gross to say the least

• Stayed: July 2013
7  Thank Laylapopps
There are newer reviews for York Harbor Motel and Cottages

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My best friend and I stayed at the York Harbor Motel and Cottages while visiting Maine for our 50th birthday celebrations to ourselves. I originally booked a 2-bedroom cottage and was pretty excited about it. However, when we checked in and went to the cottage we noticed there was no toilet paper. No problem, we called the front desk and Bob (who was AWESOME by the way) came over right away to bring us some. Then he told us that paper products weren't included in the cottage rental. After he left, we noticed that there were no towels in the bathroom with the exception of the towel mat for the floor. We went to the front desk to get some towels, only to be informed that towels were not included in the cottage rental. Huh? I explained to Bob that I was never advised of this policy upon making the reservation and if I had been advised, I never would've reserved the cottage. Who wants to bring towels with them on vacation? Anyway, Bob was fabulous and showed us a couple of different rooms in the motel and we settled on one of those. That was really the only glitch. Word to the wise: If you book a cottage bring your own towels AND paper products.

The room was clean and comfortable and served our needs just fine. I will agree with a previous poster regarding the Wi-Fi. Connectivity was horrible and pretty much hit/miss. If that's what is really important to you (wasn't for us), I would suggest another place. The free breakfast at Lobster Cove was super good and very filling. Quite a nice perk! Oh yeah, one other thing. There was no ice in the ice bin, but a quick call to the front desk gave pretty quick results. I was told that they had been having many issues with it making ice.

In closing, I would recommend York Harbor Motel and Cottages for your trip to York, Maine. We will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jill H
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We came into town from the south on our by bicycles. We were tired. This was the 1st motel we hit. I asked if they hd wifi . They said of course. We. Checked in and went to our room which had a kitchenette. It was clean room with a kitchenette which we enjoyed. Across the street is the ocean. You could feel the spray. There's a shuttle bus that costs 1.50 each way takes you to the town which is deightful. They have a zoo, amusement park shopping and some real old new england style. My problem began back in my room when i couldnt connect to the internet.. i took my tablet to the office where it went online. For people who needs to connect this is bad news as my room was far from the office. The receptionists said oh yeah. We have a tech coming soon to check it out. The closest place to my rm that worked was a breezeway of anadjacent bldg. I need time each day for an overseas skype call. Where was network connection, in the doorway to the outside. An 8'sliding glass door opening. I had to pull over a table to set up the tablet leaving wiggle room for anyone to come and go..management sent a security guard from the local woods to oust me. Really rude ruined the call. I just wanted a simple thing. This rudeness is an example of the same mgt style that tells u they have wifi but, forgets to tell u it won't wrk in your room. I would have rated them higher.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank boruchmenachem
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Just came back from a post Labor Day trip with my family. The weather was fabulous on Sat so we decided to take a trip to the Maine Seacoast. While driving around York Harbor, we found this motel. It is in a perfect location. The Maine rocky coast line is almost on top of you. You can feel the ocean mist and haze from the drive way. The grounds were clean, The pool area also very clean for post Labor Day, while the property held a art decco design. It was very interesting.

As I checked in the Front Office clerk was very friendly and accommodating. While the cost didn't break the bank, and my family looking to wind down for the night, and the deal came with full breakfast the next morning, ( which is at the restaurant next door and very good), it appeared to be a great deal.

Upon entering the our room, you will notice the room is very much outdated. There is a hodge podge of funiture from different era's. ( Example , the TV had to be at least 25 years old, the desk , between 40 and 50 years old, The vanities, around the 1980's, and the beds at least 30 something years old. To top it off, the wall paneling and unit itself has not been painted in a very long time.

After we got situated , my daughter used to bathroom, and dripping water hit the electrical and sparks flew. I later noticed a hole in the ceiling that must have been from dripping water from the toilet above. To top it off, the guests above us were intoxicated and started fighting, and swearing till 2:00AM. If you combine those events as well as sleeping on an old matress, my wife noted she had the worst night sleep of her life.

But, if you walk outside to the porch, you get a tremendous view of the ocean. (I guess that was our trade off)

This hotel has the potentail to be great. With some investment, they could charge three times more , but I guess it served it's purpose for the night. If you plan on spending the entire day at the beach, and plan on " crashing", this motel would suffice. However my family won't be going back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Jvol365
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We loved this little place, it's right across the street from the ocean. Nothing fancy, but VERY clean. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and willing to answer our "touristy" questions, they even let my husband use the hose to wash our motorcycle. We did not get a chance to use the pool, but it looked very nice. The little cabins looks nice from the outside, wish we could have had one of them, but they were all booked. Definitely would book here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmesticgdesspa
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This motel was in a great location with the ocean right across the street and a short walk to the beach. The room wasn't very good though. The sheets on both beds had someone else's hair on them and the comforters were both torn in multiple places underneath. The mattresses had no support and looked as if they were 30 years old. There we small funky looking bugs on the kitchen area table. The kitchenette area was convenient although very outdated. I only used the fridge. The alarm was still on from the previous people and woke us up very early and scared us. The bathroom had a nice large standup shower. The WiFi they advertise did NOT work. They gave us a voucher worth $6 each for breakfast at the restaurant next door. That was very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank A N
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Some of the rooms are a little bit outdated but they are very clean. I loved the private porch area that each room had, it gave our little ones an extra place to play. Hotel staff is very courteous and helpful. The restaurant that they use for your free breakfast is awesome, we also had dinner there the night before and it was wonderful. The long sands beach is a bit of a walk but doable, even with two toddlers in tow. Will stay here again next time we come to Maine.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach

Been to York Harbor Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!