“Very unhappy, uncomfortable stay, not worth the cost”
Review of York Harbor Inn

York Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in York Harbor
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Our particular room was a second floor "Yorkshire" room. The room was a decent size with a queen bed, but only 1 chair. It did have a large bathroom, but most of it was an empty area containing another chair. Without this section, the bathroom was average to smaller, with a small sink and countertop area. Our room did have a jacuzzi tub/shower. If someone in your party is over 6 feet tall, they will have a hard time in the tub/shower. The water pressure is only OK, but the shower head is a bit low for washing/rinsing your upper body and head. Also, because of the tubs slant the shower head doesn't protrude out far enough. So, even for me at 5'9", I found it a bit hard to rinse my face and hair.
Next, we had a queen bed that was extremely uncomfortable. My wife had to sleep on the edge of the bed because I was "stuck" in the pit, unable to move. I would continually end up back in this soft spot, regardless of how, or where, I tried to sleep. I did not sleep much at all because of this. Note, my wife is 115 lbs and I am 173 lbs, so the mattress problem is not due to our size. Lastly, if you want WI-FI, DO NOT book room #36. The free wi-fi continually connected/disconnected. I was unable to get online at all from the room, and had to use my 3G cell phone to research things to do. When I called, the front desk told me that "Comcast had a server outage in the Chicago area that has effected the entire east coast." Chicago, really, that's what they said. Sorry, but I am not that dumb. As soon as I stepped outside of my building I was able to connect with the York Harbor Inn's
wi-fi.
I have some medical problems, one being a moderate back injury and need at least a DECENT mattress to sleep on. For this reason I only booked 1 night here, and I am glad that was all. We left the next morning so I didn't complain to the staff.
Overall, I must say that the room, and the buildings and grounds, were clean and nicely kept. The staff were nice enough, if I can just forget about the "Chicago wi-fi" thing (but I just can't). I keep try reminding myself that these are very old buildings, but I guess my wife and I are not "INN" people, especially for the special internet price of $219

Room Tip: Outside of trying a room first for mattress comfort, and wi-fi if you need it, I can't offer any...
2  Thank richg635
YHIGM, Owner at York Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Thank you for sharing your observations with us. We hope you will take the time to read our comments that follow.

As a large Country Inn with numerous adjacent buildings that range from historic to new, we have the opportunity to offer different levels of accommodations. Our offerings range from modest and cozy Country Inn guest rooms, to our mid-level Yorkshire guest rooms which offer a varying degree of amenities, to our Luxury guest rooms which are our largest and have King Beds, Fireplaces, Jacuzzi Tubs, heated tile floors and water views or water view decks. All three levels of guest rooms are priced accordingly.
In light of the comments posted about this particular room, we inspected the room in detail and we would like to share our observations.

The mattress in this room is new and had been installed within the last six months. It was part of a larger capital improvement plan to upgrade all of the mattresses throughout the entire inn. We have selected one of the top mattresses utilized in the industry- The Serta “Presidential” Pillow Top mattress. They have been very well received by our guests. This being said, we understand that mattress comfort can be subjective. Some individuals prefer a more firm mattress, while others may enjoy the soft comfort that this particular style offers. We are sorry that this particular style was not appreciated by our guest.

Regarding the shower height question, in this particular bathroom the height of the shower head measures 6’2” above the floor of the tub. While this may not match every person’s height, we do believe the design and comfort level of this Jacuzzi and shower combination is up to industry standards and is very workable for all of our guests.

At the York Harbor Inn we are very happy to offer complimentary wireless internet access to our guests, unlike many of our competitors and the large corporate chain hotels who often charge for this service. On rare occasions we may experience an interruption in service, either from an internal hardware breakdown, a disruption from our wireless vendor’s equipment, or a disruption form our internet service provider- as most everyone who utilizes the internet has experienced. We make every effort to rectify any disruption in service immediately. In researching this particular incident, we found that there was a short verified ISP interruption around the time in question. We were told by our ISP that an issue originating in Chicago that had caused internet difficulty throughout the East Coast. This is the information we were provided and thus passed it on to our guests at the time. We also found that one or our pieces of equipment had to be reset, This may or may not have been caused by the short outage in service. We are sorry that this outage occurred and hope our guest understands the situation was not in our control.

We are determined to exceed the expectations of our guests and we appreciate all comments, both positive and areas in which we can improve. We are grateful for both. We hope this report sheds some light on this review.

Thank you.
Garry Dominguez
Innkeeper
York Harbor Inn

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We booked this for a two night stopover but were so impressed by our first impressions that we quickly decided to stay for five nights and use the hotel as our base in Maine and New Hampshire.
The hotel is beautifully situated next to the beach and a public garden and consists of a number of adjoining white clap board houses. The bedroom was was tastefully appointed and the sun deck had a direct view onto the beach.
Although there were no drink facilities in the bedroom free coffee and bottled water was available at the reception desk.
The room itself was immaculately clean and spacious.
Continental breakfast was served in the main dining room with lunch and dinners available in the same place or in the pub on the lower ground floor.
Service was attentive without being intrusive and portions, by European standards were gargantuan so I would recommend caution in ordering to any fellow brits. Three courses would probably finish you off for the day. Fortunately split orders or starters were available as 'stand alone' meals without any problems.
I would recommend this hotel without any hesitation whatsoever.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evitts
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed at the York Harbor Inn for two nights as part of a relatively large wedding group. The staff there was very accommodating, getting us water and ice from the bar (no ice machines) and there are cookies at the front desk at check in.

We saw a few rooms since we were with a group. The rooms in the main Inn were all pretty tiny, but that was expected in an old building. They were very clean though, which is more important. The bed was too soft for my husband and I to get a great night's sleep, but others may like that. Not too many frills, but a quaint inn and a nice stay!

Reviewed 6 September 2012

My mom and I shared a room at the York Harbor Inn for one night because we wanted to start our Maine vacation a day early. We stayed in the newest property, the Chapman Cottage, which was wonderful. We had a small room on the third floor but it had a HUGE deck which was such a plus!! We had a delicious dinner with great sevice at the Cellar Pub in the Inn's main building which was an easy walk, and the breakfast served in our building in the morning was fantastic - be sure to try the coffee cake and the chef's honey! Loved the whole experience and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: In the Chapman Cottage you can get a 2nd floor room which is larger with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub...
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed here last October in the Harbor Hill Inn adjacent to the main Inn. The room was relatively small (not important), but clean, cozy and nicely furnished. The Cellar Pub/Restaurant is very fun with an appealing nautical theme. There is a fairly extensive menu with lots of seafood dishes. The wait staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. The selection of local beers on tap was also very adequate. The park and beach directly across the street is a convenient and relaxing attraction. This is a great place for a weekend getaway or a formal function. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

What a wonderful place! When you enter it feels like you are in the galley of a ship! Gleaming polished tables, decor, fireplace... just awesome. OH YES! The waitstaff is so professional, great service. The menu is varied with very reasonable prices. I had the BEST burger and draft. I plan on returning next year. I would like to vist the Inn next time. The grounds and history are well worth the walk across the street. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We loved the pictures of the rooms on their website but what we got as luxury accommodations was not unacceptable. Stains on the carpet, lumpy pillows, soft mattresses, sheets that were not luxurious, bathroom and shower is old and needs updating - we changed rooms twice but they were all the same. The best thing about the York Harbor Inn is the ocean view. Don't waste your time - there are much nicer places and life is too short. Don't believe what they advertise.

Room Tip: Don't choose 409 or 4 they are both old and tired. Need a good scrubbing and new carpets, wall p...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Cliff House Maine
Cliff House Maine
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick

Been to York Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!