“A wonderful place to relax by the sea.....”
Review of Stage Neck Inn

Stage Neck Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in York Harbor
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Wanting to get away for three nights to the Maine coast, without a long drive from Boston, the York area seemed perfect, both from prior memories and recommendations of friends. While there are many nice places to stay in York and the southern Maine coast, the Stage Neck Inn seemed to shine in all of its reviews on Tripadvisor and similar sites. So I figured it would be worth a try.....

Boy was that the right decision...... I just came back today from three wonderful days there- this place hit all the right marks!

The location is great- on a small rocky peninsula (once an island) at the entrance to York Harbor, with beautiful views of the Atlantic, the river, and the mansions lining the coast in the York Harbor area. There is a nice beach also right next to the Inn, and an oudoor pool, indoor pool, etc.- but for me, what I craved, and got, was a relaxing place to just soak up the views with a good book, or take a quiet walk along the nearby Cliff Walk with its views. Stage Neck has very comfortable accomodations with nice amenities, and I splurged for what will now be my favorite room at the Inn- Room 206, which is a King Corner suite- you have a beautiful view from within, but also walk right out onto a little patio area right next to the grassy lawn on the top of a small cliff, an area nicely supplied with Adirondack chairs and such. But while the ocean front rooms have the best views, none of the rooms has a "bad view"- many of the rooms face the river, which is also scenic, and even the so-called beachfront rooms face the beach and part of the harbor across a well-landscaped parking lot.

And this spot really is a great to watch nature go by- as you'll see in a few pictures I've attached, in our 3 days we got to see a dramatic storm roll through, a rainbow over the ocean, and beautiful sunrises (or sunsets in the other direction over the harbor).

As you may guess, I definitely plan to come back here in the future- but its not just all of the above which is bringing me back- it is the fantastic staff that I encountered throughout my stay. And what I mean by fantastic is a staff that really goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful, all the while doing their job well- everyone from the front desk staff and the reservation staff all the way down to the dining and housekeeping staff. People just seemed down to earth and eager to be helpful.

So needless to say, the Stage Neck will be seeing more of me in the future........

Room Tip: Ocean front for the best views- 2nd floor for direct grounds acess, or 3rd floor if you prefer a ba...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for staying at the inn recently and thank you for your lovely review! The corner ocean front room is a favorite for many. So happy that you got the chance to stay in that room. You are right though, there are other wonderful rooms overlooking various areas of the harbor.

Thank you also for posting some great pictures and for recognizing our super staff members.

We look forward to your return.

Best Regard,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I needed to take a quick trip to York, Maine, for a family event and decided to stay overnight at the Stage Neck Inn. The view from our room was very nice, overlooking the ocean. We checked in around 7:00 p,m and had dinner in their restaurant. My husband had the appetizer Mussels and I had a Caesar Salad, and then we both had the Sole with White Wine Caper sauce. It was excellent! Their breakfast buffet was also very good, with a wide selections, of eggs, yogurt, muffins, fruit, etc.

If we head back to York, we will definitely stay at the Stage Neck Inn.

Jo Berman

2  Thank Jo B
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you so much for staying at this inn this summer. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we sincerely thank you for your lovely review of the inn.

We are quite happy to hear that you enjoyed both a lovely dinner upon your arrival, along with enjoying our wonderful complimentary breakfast buffet the next day. As for the dinner items you chose, all our very popular and well received.

We so look forward to your return.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed for only 1 night since it is quite expensive. I definitely wanted an oceanfront room and we paid for it which earned a very good, rather than excellent. But, the room was spacious and the view extraordinary. King size, comfy bed, clean bathroom, nice patio which led to the the lawn. I'm glad we stayed here once but wouldn't again because of the cost.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the inn recently. We are happy that you enjoyed the ocean front guest room and all it has to offer. The summer time months are certainly our high season. We do, however, offer other water view rooms on the harbor side of the inn, as well as limited water view rooms on our beach side for a lesser price.

We would very much like to have you as a guest again in the future. Please view our Facebook page for specials during the off-season time of the year.

Thank you again for staying.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I will like to thank Bethany for a wonderful spa getaway. She was awesome. The best massage ever! She was professional and very good. My husband was also had the 90 minute hot stone massage which he also loved. He was upset that I was writing this review of the spa because he said that we should keep the spa a secret because then others will come. Silly! I highly recommend this spa. I will also like to mention that Dawn the reservation manager was helpful in helping my family find activities.

Room Tip: Try the baked stuffed lobster and grilled rib eye at the hotel restaurant. Visit short beach and the...
2  Thank juanitaMilfordCt

Thank you for your wonderful review of our spa and for recognizing some of our wonderful staff members. Bethany sure is an asset to the spa and guests have been raving about her. So very happy that you and your husband both enjoyed the spa treatments.

I thank you also for mentioning our reservation manager Dawn. She is a true gem, as well ! I will be sure to pass your kind words onto both of these girls.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at stagneck inn 7-10-14 to 7-14-14. We found out that booking an oceanview is not what it means. We booked on booking.com and received a parking lot view. Friday night a wedding reception was there and many of the wedding party were in the parking lot talking loud and laughing until 1:30 am. We did get an oceanview room on Saturday after paying more $ and another reception happened. This one below our room.
Food was okay but expensive.
not impressed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kshall1985

Thank you for staying with us in July. We are sorry that you were disappointed with your beach-view the first night. We do allocate rooms to be booked through Booking.com, and the description on the sight clearly does indicate that the room overlooks the courtyard parking area and beach. There is also a picture showing the room on the beach side with a privacy fence and garden. We are sorry that you thought you booked an ocean view room.

Despite your disappointment, we certainly do hope that you will give us another try in the near future. We would suggest calling the inn directly and speaking with a "real" person.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Bottom Line: Great hotel with nice amenities and great location. Would definitely stay here again.

Details: We arrived here during the second week in July for a 4 night stay. Check in was quick and easy and our room was an ocean front room on the main floor that opened up to a small patio/deck and lead right out to the lawn. The room itself was clean and in decent shape. The rug had seen better days but nothing really stood out worth complaining about. Noise from the room above very very minor to non-existent but may be due to the fact that there were no children running around up there. Our room was located right across from the stairs and elevator but you really couldn't tell at all. The rest of the hotel was very nice and my daughter loved the ping pong table. The indoor pool was very clean and nice although a touch on the small side. The outdoor pool was also very nice and regardless of the time of day didn't seem crowded by any means when compared to other hotels we have stayed at during the summer months. The "sandy beach" was nice as well but during the days we went the water was full of seaweed and incredibly frigid but this is by no means the hotel's fault. The clay tennis courts are right next to the outdoor pool but we forgot to bring our rackets so we couldn't take advantage. The gym is great if you are looking for cardio. They have just about every kind of cardio machine including a Concept 2 rower which is a big plus in my book. If you are looking for weights you are out of luck (see below). Cookies and tea/coffee is served in the lobby every day from 2:30-4:30 which is an added bonus.

The hotel's location was a great plus. Just across the parking lot is York river, a mile away is Long Sands beach, a mile or so after that is Short Sand beach and downtown York. All in all, the hotel is very nice and I would definitely stay here again.

The negatives: Don't really have any serious complaints but really just two small issues…the hotel's "complimentary breakfast." I've stayed at hotels with complimentary breakfast before and it is just that, a complimentary breakfast. Let me explain. The breakfast is free but you are charged a mandatory 18% fee (tip) for the wait staff. While I have no problem tipping the staff, the fee is based off of a incredibly high price per person. With this in mind, you are paying quite a large tip for someone to come over and fill your water glass. We are not gluttons so the $18 price per person for a few slices of bacon, bite sized muffin and some fruit is a bit ridiculous. Also, if you are an oddball like me and don't care for the taste of butter, the other hot foods are all cooked in butter so you are out of luck.

Second, the gym, if you are interested in weight training, you are out of luck. They have an older single machine that consists of a lat pulldown (with narrow grip bar only) and a leg curl. The narrow bar makes the pulldown worthless and due to the height, you can't do pushdowns. There is no bench just an exercise ball and the dumbbell selection is relatively poor.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are fantastic.
2  Thank 8pixel
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you for your review of the inn. It seems that you experienced all the inn has to offer. We wish that you could have played on our fabulous clay tennis courts. Just so you know for the next time, we do have tennis rackets available at no rental cost.

During the time you came, I believe that the ocean water was a little affected by a light storm, thus the seaweed came into our beach area. The town is pretty good about pushing the seaweed aside, but sometimes there is nothing that can be done about that.

Next time you visit, we can certainly cook you a breakfast item with no butter. As for the automatic service fee at breakfast time, the staff who works this particular shift all have specific jobs in assisting with setting-up and keeping the buffet full throughout the morning.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Stage Neck Inn exceeded my expectations in every way. I have been traveling to York, Maine every summer since childhood, but this was my first stay at the Stage Neck. We stayed for 2 nights and I wish it could have been longer! I hope to be able to return in the future. The location simply can't be beat - the views are beautiful and it is conveniently located on a small beach. The inn provides Adirondack chairs and beach lounges all over the property so it is very easy to enjoy the spectacular views.

Room: Our room was clean and updated. The bedding was very comfortable. Housekeeping was very prompt every morning.

Food & Bev: Do not miss dinner in their restaurant! It was absolutely fabulous and offers beautiful views of the water. I ordered a special of Pancetta-Wrapped Cod and my friend ordered the Horseradish & Panko-Crusted Haddock. Both dishes were excellent. We stopped in for a drink at the bar before dinner (they hand out 1/2 off drink tickets to be used from 3:00-6:00pm). Chis the bartender is great. He's friendly and his drinks are delicious. The breakfast buffet is the best I've experienced - I have never seen Eggs Benedict in a buffet and it was perfectly cooked.

Massage: I got a 90 minute Swedish massage and I would absolutely recommend it. They have mid-week specials.

Front Desk: The staff is friendly and helpful. I had to stop in a few times for various things (such as asking to borrow scissors to cut the tags off of my beach umbrella) and everyone was very pleasant.

Room Tip: If you're willing to spend more the ocean view rooms are absolutely beautiful, but I stayed in a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you so very much for your wonderfuly review of the inn! We are happy to know that the inn and all it has to offer exceeded your expectations in every way.

Thank you, also, for recognizing the staff. Chris, our bartender, is for sure a friendly guy and does make some wonderful drink specials. As for the dinner items you ordered, our special Haddock and Cod dishes are favorites, for sure! Also, happy to hear that our housekeeping staff took good care of your room and were prompt each day.

Hope that this will not be your first and last time staying at the inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near York Harbor
The Anchorage By the Sea
#11 of 36 in Ogunquit
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York

Been to Stage Neck Inn? Share your experiences!