“Nice quiet place to stay near Aberdeen”

Candlewood Suites Aberdeen - Edgewood - Bel Air
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bel Air
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Had a weekend stay in June for the LPGA McDonald's golf tournament at Bulle Rock. The hotel was about 15 mins from the event. It's a new hotel and did not even know about it until I did a search and found a good rate ($89/nt). The parking lot was a little muddy due to the construction.

Check-in was a little slow as others checking in had issues but my check-in was a breeze. Several of the golfers were actually staying at the hotel as well...

Room -- had booked a standard room but at check-in, room type was not available and was upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite (no complaints by me). The room was clean and pretty good size with a living room area, full kitchen and a large desk. Wood flooring in the kitchen and entrance. There's a sofa, coffee table and TV in the living room. A second TV was available in the bedroom as well. Only complaint was the room has a fan in the wall to circulate the air from the air conditioner which was made a rattling sound when running.

Food -- no restaurants on the premises but the hotel did have a pantry with drinks, milk, cereal, snacks and other supplies. There's a Pizza Hut next door and McDonald's, BK and a shopping center near by.

Overall, the hotel was nice and quiet. A good value compared to other hotels nearby. I would stay there again if I needed to...

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 July 2009

This hotel was our first choice as it was new. The desk employees were very helpful with trying to find our reservation and the manager was very nice to assist the staff and located the reservation.Our room was very clean with alot more items then any other hotel that we have stayed at. Keep up the great job as we will return.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I made my reservation a month before my arrival date, but somehow the front desk seemed to have no prior knowledge of my arrival or my moderate requests. Luckily I had my confirmation info handy. The girls at the front desk were very polite, however they were not very helpful. Each time during my weeklong stay that I had an issue, I was referred to a manager who probably doesn't even exist. I left messages for the manager everyday until I departed. Finally over a week after my stay I had my billing issue resolved by calling the corporate number on the IHG website. I advise any future guests to either pay with cash or pre-pay for your stay because the manager will not help you get a refund if you are owed one. She probably doesn't even work there.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank travelmami85
Reviewed 10 June 2009

I loved Bed so comfy, more then i expected , very clean hotel

Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2009

The hotel was brand new, courteous staff, and decent location. The only downfall was that it was apparent that the room had not received a thorough cleaning before we arrived. There were footprints on the floors and hairs on the bathroom floor.

There are not many restaurants in the immediate area except for Cracker Barrel (which seems to be very busy) and Ruby Tuesdays.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I never heard of this Holiday Inn brand hotel, but I made a reservation to try it out based on its location. The hotel has only been open for three weeks, which I didn't know till I checked in. I expected it to be clean and in good repair, what I didn't expect was the value for the money. I made an online reservation for a Queen room. When I got to my room, it was a King, but my rate was the same as for the Queen. I am not sure why this was, but I wasn't going to complain. The room was a studio suite, but the rate listed for a standard room is more than the studio suite. I couldn't believe it when I entered the room, which was a very nice size! There was a full sized refrigerator, diswasher, microwave and a little stove! The microwave may even have been a convection oven, since it had metal racks in it. The room includes a 32" Flat Screen TV and a DVD player. The bathroom was even a little bigger than normal for a hotel, and it had a big closet! Things just kept getting better when I went to the fitness center which is equiped with two treadmills, an eliptical trainer, recumbent bike and universal gym for weight training. There isn't a breakfast included, but the covenient 'pantry' is well stocked with items for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as snacks that are available to buy 24 hours a day. I can't say enough good about this hotel, when you pull in the lot, you might not think much of it, as the landscaping isn't complete yet, but when you get inside, you will be pleased! I highly recommend this hotel for value, convenience, and all the comforts of home!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2009

The Candlewood Suites Bel Air is a brand new hotel, open for only about 2 weeks as of when we stayed there. They have some outstanding introductory rates available, and the pleasure of being the first visitors in nice new rooms. There are some trade-offs for this privilege though, and some travelers may be less than thrilled with the hands-off approach of the hotel. Read on for more...

LOCATION:
The hotel is located immediately adjacent to I-95, making it easy to get on and off of the highway. There is a small shopping complex nearby, so stocking up on essentials and getting a bite to eat is pretty easy. The neighborhood includes a 24-hour Waffle House for those who want the occasional 3 AM steak... It is located approximately 30 minutes north of downtown Baltimore, and slightly more than an hour from Washington DC or Annapolis.

FRONT DESK / SERVICE:
The hotel's front desk is only open from 7 AM - 11 PM. Outside of those hours, they have a weird combination safe system in the entrance lobby, where you type in your last name and your check-in materials are waiting. The system isn't completely working yet, so we had to use the intercom to page the night attendant to let us in. So, as we discovered, there is someone on-site 24x7, even though they close the desk at 11 PM. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient, and took care of our needs adequately. If you're arriving after 11 PM, you may want to call in advance to let them know so that they can give you instructions.

ROOMS:
The rooms are brand new, and about what one would expect from an all-suites hotel. The single suites are pretty small, and come with a kitchenette area, featuring a microwave, 2-burner electric stove, refrigerator and a sink w/ disposal. The bathroom was sizeable and while there was plenty of hot water, the water pressure could have been better. The rooms are in fact SO new that they still smell slightly of paint and construction materials. It wasn't overpowering, but anyone with respiratory problems might want to give this place a few months to air out, since the smell was quite noticeable. The only other note is that the heating/AC is thermostat-controlled, but the builders chose to put the thermostat on the wall very near the blower, rather than by the entrance door. As a result, temperature control is a little flaky, since the thermostat registers changes long before the rest of the room stabilizes.

AMENITIES:
The hotel offers free wireless Internet, which was fast and had great signal strength. There is 24-hour coffee service in the lobby. There is a fitness center, which is open 24 hours. We didn't use them, but they make a point of telling guests that there are BBQ grills available on the property.

Maid service is apparently only performed _weekly_, and between guests. So take care of your towels, and don't just toss them on the floor. They won't be changed daily unless you request new ones.

In general, we were satisfied with our stay, and would recommend it to anyone with a need to stay in the area. Its distance from downtown, combined with the typically-insane traffic on I-95 during weekdays, make this a bit of a stretch for those in the Baltimore or DC areas for tourism. But the great intro rates and easy accessibility for those who need to be north of town make this as good a choice as the other standard and suites hotels in the area. Definitely worth a try if you've stayed in other nearby hotels.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darlox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bel Air
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)
Homewood Suites by Hilton Bel Air
Hampton Inn & Suites Edgewood/Aberdeen-South
SpringHill Suites Edgewood Aberdeen
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Bel Air - Aberdeen
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen

Been to Candlewood Suites Aberdeen - Edgewood - Bel Air? Share your experiences!