“Bar with a Fine Dining Menu” 4 of 5 bubbles

Black Finn
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
“Bar with a Fine Dining Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

Restaurant: Clean, Sports Bar with a fine dining appeal
Menu: Creative dishes
Levels: 3 (main, upper and lower)
Scene: Bar/Restaurant with TV's at the Bar and in the restaurant booths (they can change the channel if you ask them)
Specials: Yes. Lunch/ Sports/ Happy Hour (Rail/Beer/Appetizers)
Cost: $$
Party: Two adults and an 11 year old
(Footnote: If it's game day and you sit near the bar... be prepared for some shouting or clapps)

FOOD:
Ordered: Balboa (shaved prime rib, mozzarella, toasted garlic bread, au jus)
Fries: lightly batter
Taste: Flavor
Portion: Hearty sandwich

Ordered: Pecan Crusted Rockfish (vanilla vodka cream, sweet potato mash, green beans) *Ordered the Pecan crust and the vanilla vodka cream on the side
Taste: Delicious, sweet potato was like a puree, delightful and the green beans complemented the dish; however, the green beans little heavy on the olive oil.
Rockfish: is not the whole fish, but a thick long fillet.
Portion: Enough for one person and some sample tasting for another person at your table
*Pecan crust was mixed with a white paste (possibly cream cheese?) was sweet and could eat alone (its for the fish) and the vanilla vodka cream was good.

Ordered: House Salad (Mixed Greens field greens, roma tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, croutons)
Dressing: loww calorie zinfandel vinaigrette (wonderful) not oily, asiago peppercorn (okay, real thick(first time trying it))
Portion: Plenty

Ordered: Crab Cake Sliders jumbo lump crab, remoulade, apple slaw, potato rolls
Portion: 3 sliders with alot of meat (no fillers)
Taste: Delicious, not fishy (crabby)
Disliked: apple slaw (neat name, but not what I ate LOL)

I will go back to taste the rest of the menu. I hope you enjoyed the review and happy eats!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Odenton, Maryland
“Popped In ... Bumbed Out!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

Today ... (08/18/2012) ... Looking to make a stop into several bars/grills on a return visit to Bethesda.
This was our second stop after a most pleasant experience at the Rock Bottom Brewery … just one short block away.
We had gone to the Black Finn in D.C a couple of times, first with our son, a second on our own (hint ... hint ... we liked it, so we went back). Thus, happy it was on the trail, in Bethesda, today! We looked forward to it!!!
However… Walked in, and sat ourselves at the bar just inside the door ... did not explore further inside (but did take a look after sitting there), to see what other bar areas existed. We were promptly greeting by a pleasant, attractive, brunette with a British accent, who eventually served us draft beers from what they had working (no Sam Adams Seasonal, after some effort).
Asked if we wanted menus, we responded, “Yes … looking for an appetizer or ‘munchie’.” Beers arrived, and we laid the menus down on the bar, having arrived at a choice of a very tempting crab & artichoke flatbread endeavor. But the “desire” died there.
Our server ignored us, a good 20 minutes, despite repeated walk-bys for her soda (left right in front of us), and a good 5 minutes counting the register right in front of us as well. Then, there were her repeated breaks at a server station further into the restaurant where there were other employees with which she could converse.
Of the 20 or so seats at the bar, at the most, at any moment we were there, six (6) were occupied, and we were two of them. We wanted to warn the sixth one that came in to “run away!”
Having an appreciation of the Black Finn in D.C., we hope that this rogue server will weed herself out. Otherwise, she will drive customers to the plentiful other bars/grills within a couple blocks radius.

• Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fun place to grab a beer and watch a game”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Did not eat here but the bar is laid back, with friendly bartenders, and plenty of TVs to watch the days sporting events

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank NinoNJ
Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Discrimination”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

We went there on a Wednesday night,First of all the bartender ignored me and my friend even though there was almost no body at the bar. Then he comes up to us and we order drinks, so he asks us for our id, i show him my Maryland driving licence, and my friend who is a foreign student shows him her International, Russian, Passport..... he says, "sorry cant accept that" so I ask him why and he says that they accept only US Id or any kind of US legal document, but not an international passport?! excuse me but a passport is a much more valid id then US id card that can be faked for $200,
and then he tells us, really I want to sell u the drink, if you would come back tomorrow with a green card I would have given u a drink... that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I took my friend and stormed out of the place. I could not believe that I live in this country, that calls itself culturally diverse and tolerant. This was plain redneck ignorant BS!!!!! This was plain and simple Discrimination!!!
So what are they trying to say? american citizens come you are welcome, foreigners not welcome?! and its not like the place was even full!!! dont they need the clientele?
never going back there, and never will let anybody I know go there.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank GrassStas
Bethesda, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just no.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2010

I had a horrible time here! The service was rude and they used some strange system to really enjoy the happy hour. Apparently, you had to know the name of the birthday person or whomever, and stand in line to get a bracelet. The bracelet then lets you go upstairs where you get drinks for around $3. There are cheaper and better happy hours nearby that don't involve having to push through a giant crowd of people.

• 2 of 5 bubbles