“Very good in nearly all regards”
Review of Shangri-La

Shangri-La
Ranked #46 of 364 Restaurants in Bethesda
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian, Nepalese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: In our ideal restaurant classic vegetarian dishes would be made from locally grown organic produce effused with Indian and Nepalese spices. Meats would be cooked high over hot charcoal in a tandoor (a traditional clay oven) allowing fats to drain, thereby lowering their cholesterol content. He would cook with olive oil, make his own yogurt and bake bread as ordered. Shangrila restaurant would serve the simple fresh, organic, flavorfully spiced foods that a mother would cook if she came from New Delhi or Katmandu.
Fort Myers, Florida
“Very good in nearly all regards”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Keep in mind that I generally think most restaurants in Bethesda are way overpriced, and of average quality. I was looking for a quick weeknight place with my folks and we decided on Shangi-La. We each ordered kabobs and they were all great. Of the three I tried the green kabab was the best, but they were all very good. My folks had the malai kabob and the Tikka kabob. The bread and dal was good and I would order it again as well. The place doesn't have much atmosphere but most Indian places in the area don't(yes I know there are the two Rasikas). Food wise the only negative was the raita. It was too thin and salty. I will go back but it won't be my life long mission to do so.

• Visited July 2013

Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Good food”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Take out was pretty good. Chicken Tikka Marsala was delicious as was the rice. A little pricier than other options but not a bad value in my opinion

Visited June 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
“Dine in, don't order out...”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Shangri-La is our family's favorite Indian-Nepalese restaurant in the local Bethesda area. Great butter chicken, heavenly lamb vindaloo, and freshly baked naan and other great Indian flatbreads. Word of advice though, if you want to eat it at home, it's best to pick the food up yourself. At a minimum, call the restaurant for your delivery order rather than use a service like Seamless. We've tried ordering takeout/delivery twice from here and both times ended in disaster (waiting overly long for the food and getting cold or (worse) separated sauces when the food arrived). Luckily, there is lots of free parking nearby and the service at the restaurant is quite good.

• Visited March 2013
Granbury, Texas
“Great Nepalese food”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

The food was excellent and they have a great selection. Reasonably priced for the area, but higher than what I'm used to. They have a decent wine and beer selection as well.

• Visited April 2013
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Very Good, Reasonably Priced Indian Fare”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

And they serve beer and wine! A friend and I went here for dinner last month, and we were very impressed with the quality of both the food and the service. I must confess I am not an Indian food afficionado, but I have had enough to know what I like and what is of good quality. I had a lamb paneer, which was excellent. My friend and I shared an order of Naan, which was also very good. Service was prompt and attentive. When I came in and asked to change a couple of dollars into quarters to plug the municipal meters, the owner fell all over himself not only complying with my request, but even offering to supply me with the quarters to park if I didn't have enough bills to change (which I did not need to take him up on). I am one of those people who thinks it is uncivilized to eat dinner without a glass of wine, and many Indian restaurants do not serve wine or beer, so being able to have a beer before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner here was a special treat.

Visited February 2013