“Great food, staff was in a hurry”
Review of Shangri-La

Shangri-La
Ranked #45 of 373 Restaurants in Bethesda
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian, Nepalese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: In our ideal restaurant classic vegetarian dishes would be made from locally grown organic produce effused with Indian and Nepalese spices. Meats would be cooked high over hot charcoal in a tandoor (a traditional clay oven) allowing fats to drain, thereby lowering their cholesterol content. He would cook with olive oil, make his own yogurt and bake bread as ordered. Shangrila restaurant would serve the simple fresh, organic, flavorfully spiced foods that a mother would cook if she came from New Delhi or Katmandu.
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The only reason I didn't give this five stars is that the wait staff was in a hurry to leave. We dined prior to close and the placed had quieted down. The owner/manager was polite and did not rush us. However, the waiter and bus person were in a hurry and were not shy about trying to get us to leave. The food is excellent, but I do not like being rushed out after spending over $70 on dinner.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Below average Indian food, which was unexpected given the prices. The serving size was very small as well.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Keep in mind that I generally think most restaurants in Bethesda are way overpriced, and of average quality. I was looking for a quick weeknight place with my folks and we decided on Shangi-La. We each ordered kabobs and they were all great. Of the three I tried the green kabab was the best, but they were all very good. My folks had the malai kabob and the Tikka kabob. The bread and dal was good and I would order it again as well. The place doesn't have much atmosphere but most Indian places in the area don't(yes I know there are the two Rasikas). Food wise the only negative was the raita. It was too thin and salty. I will go back but it won't be my life long mission to do so.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Take out was pretty good. Chicken Tikka Marsala was delicious as was the rice. A little pricier than other options but not a bad value in my opinion

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Shangri-La is our family's favorite Indian-Nepalese restaurant in the local Bethesda area. Great butter chicken, heavenly lamb vindaloo, and freshly baked naan and other great Indian flatbreads. Word of advice though, if you want to eat it at home, it's best to pick the food up yourself. At a minimum, call the restaurant for your delivery order rather than use a service like Seamless. We've tried ordering takeout/delivery twice from here and both times ended in disaster (waiting overly long for the food and getting cold or (worse) separated sauces when the food arrived). Luckily, there is lots of free parking nearby and the service at the restaurant is quite good.