“Handsome new addition of Bethesda's restaurants”
Review of 4935 Bar & Kitchen

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bethesda Metro Stop Walking distance from metro
Description: Sophisticated dining with a trendy atmosphere and creative menu. We combine Indian flavors with French technique to create an exciting yet accessible dining experience.
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Four of us dined at this new restaurant that took over the site previously occupied for decades by Tragara. It is a handsome space but does not necessarily look like a restaurant from outside. We thought for months that it might be a shop where one can buy kitchen/bar equipment; not so.
Instead it is a nice restaurant that offers typical 21st-century dishes but nothing out of the ordinary. The food tasted fine but rather average. The sliders for appetizers were moist and tasty, and the lentil soup was hearty and enjoyable. The burrata/mozzarella was disappointingly tasteless as were the accompanying "heirloom" tomatoes that were typically tasteless winter tomatoes. Shrimp, mussels and scallops figured prominently in our meal and they were good, if unexceptional. Some came with the pasta dish of the day, which was homemade spaghetti in a nice tomato sauce...perfectly cooked and abundant. The regular bartender was off that night and the margarita suffered from his inexperience, altho' previous visits had afforded exceptionally tasty margaritas. The waiter did not always listen to our requests, so the margarita came with salt (tho' requested to be left off), and we had to ask for bread several times.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good and interesting cuisine -- modern bistro food with heavy Indian influence. For example, the menu features samosas and sliders side by side. A little odd, but it works. We had an excellent lamb shank -- very traditional, and the "pasta of the day" which was angel hair, shrimp and mussels in a curry marinara sauce. The complimentary pesto naan was incredibly good. Very hip décor, good service.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

4635 is a total winner.The drinks were nicely done and the menu of house creations. From the very best beef sliders (an appetizer) we've ever had to the last drop of excellent coffee, we were impressed and delighted -- reminding us of multi-starred restaurants in NYC. Entrees at our table included scallops, lamb shank and bronzini, each was well prepared and memorable. The chef is quite friendly and we were not surprised to find that his resume included time at Daniel.

4635 has an outsized bar (no TV's) that is surrounded by tables for diners. The lack of background noise is wonderful -- you can actually hear your dining companions.

There were at least 3 "suits" attentively working the floor the night we were there and they seemed eager to please and hear customer feedback. The very friendly wait and bus staff seemed a bit "green" -- acceptable for a new place -- they were occasionally hard to locate when something was needed, but omnipresent when it came to clearing plates before the party had finished each course.

All in all, this restaurant is a wonderful addition to the Bethesda dining scene. We'll be back.

Alas, the listing for this restaurant on Trip Advisor generates a flock of antiquated reviews for a restaurant that closed a long time ago (but had the same address). That place deserved the bad reviews. 4635 should not be held accountable for its shortcomings.

1  Thank sitandspin2
Foster G, Manager at 4935 Bar & Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you so much for both your visit and your high praise! I am delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience. We are preparing the new spring menu now, so come back and see us soon.
I have contacted TripAdvisor about the Tragara reviews, and they should be coming off within a week or so.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We bought a Groupon for this restarant which gave us a $50 credit for $25. We went on a Friday night and the restaurant was not very busy. We had previously looked at their menu on line and found the prices quite reasonable. When we went to the restaurant the menu was completely different and much more expensive. The wine list was provided and it only listed bottles of wine, none by the glass. I asked the waiter if they had house wines and he said they did. A glass of the house Cabernet turned out to be $9.50. Two in our party ordered pasta dishes. One was supposed to contain eggplant and vegetables, but was 95% pasta. The other dish was a plate of pasta. Each dish cost about $20 a piece. No salad or side came with either entree.

The bottom line - The food was average and the price was excessive. There are many better choices for Italian restaurants in Bethesda.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I made my reservation through Savored 2 weeks ago for a party of 6 on May 12 at 7:30 pm to celebrate Mother's Day a day early. At 5 pm on May 12, I received a call from the manager at Tragara to inform me that there was an issue in the kitchen so the dining room is closed for the evening. I then asked my brother to call 30 minutes later to see if the restaurant is really closed. He was told that the restaurant is open but they are fully booked for the evening. I then called the restaurant, spoke with the manager, and confronted him with the issue. He said that if I come back next week then he can give me the Savored discount but not tonight. This restaurant has no business ethics. Also, he doesn't seem to care when I told him that I plan on reporting this to BBB and post my review online.

5  Thank InternatlTravel