“Reliable convenient HGI” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Reliable convenient HGI”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Clean, conveniently located near many restaurants and metro. Friendly helpful staff. I needed some milk to go with the cookies at the front desk, and one of the staff provided 2 cartons. We weren't sure that the a/c in our room was working properly, so I called the front desk, and a friendly building engineer (term?) came up to our room w/in 5 min and made some tweaks. He stayed around 15 minutes to ensure that the the unit continued to work. He was very friendly and chatted with us while he was there.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We just spent 10 days at this hotel and loved our room. The A/C does NOT blow right at you (except if you are at the desk) like it does at some other neighboring one. Staff was great. Restaurant was truly awful. The menu is bizarre ..literally everything is over sauced, as though designed by a 16 year old. Dominant: very spicy and over cooked. The Reuben tasted just like the Jerked chicken sandwich .. over cooked, over spiced mystery meat in shreds. All I wanted was a simple grilled cheese sandwich but nothing like that on the menu. This is strange as many of the residents are NIH patients undergoing treatment and the last thing you wanted is highly peppery foods. I finally got them NOT to spice up the chicken on the caesar and then the lettuce was old and ugly, sigh. No one minding the store? Worst was the fish sandwich .. why would you batter fry fish and then put CHEESE on top of it?? This restaurant needs a Gordon Ramsey visit. Otherwise, I highly recommend the hotel ..just eat elsewhere

Room Tip: We had a top floor room looking toward DC ..lovely view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lynn S
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my boyfriend. When we checked in, we were given a nice standard room. We did not have a good view, but not a big deal. I asked for a bottle of water upon check in and was told I can purchase it from the sundries shop.. I am a HHonors member and I am always given a 2 free bottles at HGI upon check in. The front desk did not inform us of anything or offer any further assistance. We had to ask about everything... The 2nd day when housekeeping serviced the room, only the bed was made and towels were replaced. No counters were wiped down and you could cleary see that coffee spilled on the counter. It just wasnt what I expected for my stay... I had the option to stay at the Hyatt where my family had a room block for the weekend but choose to stay here. I may try this hotel again but next time I hope the service standards are higher.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking bethesda not another building
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank NYdisney
Bedminster, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

I stay often; the location is great and the property is refreshing, but my last stay was very unfortunate.

Checked in late on June 12, 2012 - room 405. During the next day I felt some itches and bumps; not too major and it did not occur to me this might be bedbug bites until late in the day.

Evening June 13, I asked the on duty supervisor if my bites looked like bedbug bites to him and if there were any reports - denial is the best description of his response; he said he would have the room checked out while I was at dinner. When I got back I was told "no bedbugs"- if those bites were bedbugs, it was likely from how I traveled to the region - and stupidly; really really stupidly; I slept in that room again.

June 14 - some 200 bites on my face, arms, legs, feet - swelling and itching at different paces, I insisted on another room. I was given room 917 for my third night - left my clothes and luggage in the old room and no new bites.

The hotel did not react properly and I bet rented out room 405 the following nights. I have contacted the general manager, Tamara, and there has been NO reply.

This hotel name does not come up on your search - other than by address - it is The Hilton Garden Inn, Bethesda.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank Falcon322
Chanelle L, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you for your comments. I apologize for any inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay. This is a matter that we take very seriously.

Our general manager did respond to your email that you sent on Sat, June 16 to address your concerns during your stay. In that response on Sun, June 17, she also advised to you that a certified technician came out and completed an inspection in that room on June 15. Upon completion of the inspection, there were no bed bugs discovered in that room. She also attached the report from the company who conducted the inspection which states no bed bug activity was discovered in that room.

Since our hotel has opened October 2009, there has been no incidents at our property.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience you have experience. As you are currently working with the hotel's general manager, feel free to contact her or any other manager on duty for any further assistance.

Thank you for your business.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Our family of three stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. The location was easy to find. Parking was great as we opted for the $15per day parking package. The garage is connected to the hotel and you use your room key to enter and exit the garage without paying.

When we arrived at our check in time of 3 pm, our room was not ready. We did not wait long. By the time we unloaded the car and parked, the room was ready to go.

The room: was okay except that it smelled like dirty feet from the minute we arrived. It wasn't bad enough to ask to be moved, but it is a little odd that it smelled that way all week -even after being cleaned. I would have expected the cleaning people to either do something about it, or report the issue. The fact that it didn't change all week tells me that it is probably an issue in other rooms, too. Cable tv includes HBO, all the cable news channels, a few local channels, one or two cartoon channels, a few other cable standards like espn, history, and weather. Room has a microwave and small fridge and space to store a few food items. There was only one dresser for all three of us but plenty of hangers in the closet.

Amenities: hotel has a decent grill/bar and the breakfast package is a good deal. The breakfast ends at 10 am and not 11 as it states on their website. The business center is very good and even though we were on vacation, we actually used it a couple of times. The free in room wifi is great. Laundry room is clean but you have to buy laundry soap in the pantry which is located in the lobby and the laundry room is on the 2nd floor. It's not a big deal, just a little odd that the laundry products are not sold in the laundry area. The pool is hardlly worth the space it takes. It's indoors on the second floor and is very small and only 3 ft deep all around. It is really more of a wading pool. The hot tub is nice and is almost as big as the pool. Big beach towels are provided at the pool. There is also a small workout room next the pool. It includes towels and there is a tv. The exercise room overlooks the pool. There was always a lifeguard on duty so parents with younger kids could easily exercise while kids play in pool. The pool is in plain view from the exercise room.

The location: easy easy easy walk to the metro. For 9 bucks each for day passes ( purchased ea day at the kiosk inside the metro station) we could go anywhere we wanted all day long. Metro system is super easy to navigate. We used it all week to get to the main dc attractions that were of interest to us. With a little advance planning, the metro is all you need to get around dc. Other: We were surprised to discover that liquor is not sold in the local stores in bethesda/Chevy chase area. Area is not dry but you have to find a state store to make the purchase. There are many very good affordable restaurants within walking distance and some pretty good shopping too.

Room Tip: Definitely choose the parking and breakfast deal. They give you a coupon for each day of your stay a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SherriBelle
Jeffreys Bay, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed 2 weeks while on business. Housekeeping was friendly and room clean each day. Front desk always helpful, fresh cookies each afternoon a nice touch. Free internet a big plus. Staff quite willing to provide plates and cutlery for room use. I would use the hotel again on a business trip to the area..

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dorvin S
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Professional person, stayed here for a month.
Good- close to downtown Bethesda and metro
Bad- The customer service is terrible. I ate at the restaurant every morning for breakfast. Being there a month, I would ask to borrow a plate once in awhile from the restaurant for dinner because I would get something out and bring it to my room. Out of the blue, without warning, the restaurant manager accused me of stealing plates and proceeded to scream at me in the middle of the restaurant. He never apologized.
I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank katez3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott Suites
#2 of 11 in Bethesda
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda? Share your experiences!